Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Tow small boat with Honda CRV - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers

Notices

Old 03-14-2017, 08:28 AM
Minnow

Default Tow small boat with Honda CRV

OK guys I need your input on this. I want to buy a small boat that I can tow to Florida from the Midwest for use during the winter. My vehicle is a Honda CRV. I have my eyes on a 13' Boston Whaler with a 40 HP Tohatsu. If I do this I want to be able to tow safely and without damage to the CRV.
I've run the numbers vs the Honda specs for the vehicle:
Total weight of the boat, motor, trailer and gear: 1000 lbs.
Towing capacity of the CRV: 1500 lbs.
Max vehicle load limit spec: 850 lbs our actual load will be no more than 750 lbs.
I've also estimated the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) at 4400 lbs vs a max spec of 4630.
I've estimated the Gross Axle Weight Rating (GAWR) for front and rear axle and I am within the specs.
So I'm within all the Honda specs which would indicate I should be able to tow this boat safely and without damage to the vehicle. Am I missing something?
Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2017, 08:48 AM
Wallhanger

What model Whaler?

The only 13'er I see is the 130 SS, dry hull weight of 640#. A 40hp Tohatsu 4S is 209#, a battery is 50#, and you'd be hard pressed to find a trailer less than 300#, including spare.

So, I'm at 1200#, not including gear.

HRG
Old 03-14-2017, 08:56 AM
Minnow

I'm looking at an old 1976 Whaler. Boat weighs 320, motor 150, trailer 350, battery 60, full gas tank 40, trolling motor 25, gear 50. Total 995.

Old 03-14-2017, 09:02 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatSea View Post
I'm looking at an old 1976 Whaler. Boat weighs 320, motor 150, trailer 350, battery 60, full gas tank 40, trolling motor 25, gear 50. Total 995.

HRG
Old 03-14-2017, 09:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatSea View Post
Where did you get the 350# number for the hull? A 14 foot Lund WC aluminum hull weighs 285#'s. I'd bet HRG's 640# number is much closer. That said, a transmission cooler if automatic, and some brakes on the trailer would be highly recommended.
Old 03-14-2017, 09:23 AM
Keeper

what kind of fishing? 13fter probably wont be able to go out too far, and I am not sure how shallow whalers go. unless you are looking to near shore fish for 2ft out a mile or two.

I got a nice skinny water aluminum boat and it worked great for 15 years banging around the shallows. It did well up north in all but the biggest water.

Also what kind of trailer do you have. My lund trailer I originally had the skinny boat on was all but disintegrated after a few years and I washed 9t down religiously. Ended up getting an aluminum trailer.

something like this... I am sure the come smaller but the 15ft is a nice size. They come with consoles if you want them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NovaProWeldUltraJon001.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	248090  
Old 03-14-2017, 09:54 AM
Wallhanger

You will be fine. Make sure your trailer has 12" or larger tires rated for interstate speed. Also take it easy through the hills of KY and TN.
Old 03-14-2017, 10:52 AM
Wallhanger

are you just going to use this boat in Florida. I would just store it down their for summer. That saves allot of wear and tear on your SUV. Would not have to worry about trailer tires and bearings so much. Not to mention fuel mileage while towing. For short trips I am sure your SUV would be fine. You would not be towing packed down with luggage if you kept the boat down their.
Old 03-15-2017, 12:13 AM
Charter Member

Pat,
You will be fine.
Just remember that you have a gear shift lever on the transmission.

If you find that you are either lugging the engine, or if the transmission is shifting a lot - shift down to avoid the shifting If you are struggling on a hill, shift down and slow down.

You have all day to get where you are going so don't be in a rush at the expense of your tow vehicle.

As long as you can pull at least 40 mph on the freeway up hill you will be good to go.

----------------------------------
Speaking about speed - your post reminds me of a trip I took a long time ago with my wife and children on a western camping trip. I had a nice GM wagon with a big 400 engine in it and it would comfortably cruise at 75 or 80 mph across the flat lands of the western prairies.

In one section of Wyoming, we had decided to take the high road between a couple of locations in Wyoming. We got to the base of the hill, having passed warning signs about the steep roads in front of us. We blithely started up the winding switch backs up the side of the mountain.
After a bit, we began to slow down as the pitch of the road increased. First, I was out of drive down to the next gear, then down to the next gear and finally down to the lowest gear on the car. I had both feet on the accelerator pedal with it pressed tightly to the floor. I watched my speedometer fall to 25, then 20, then 15, then 10 and finally down to 5 mph, but I kept crawling up the side of the mountain with the fully loaded vehicle. Other cars were nicely slipping quickly by my car. Finally, we arrived at the top of the mountain and took a break. We could see for what appeared to be a couple of hundred miles across the flat land below us. It was cold, so we started down. I had told the family that as soon as we got below the timber line and found some shelter, we would stop for lunch.

Finally, there was a pull out on a nice beautiful creek and lake just below the timber line. My youngest son was only about 4 at the time. He had gone for a walk and came running back to camp. He said, Daddy, I found some worms in the creek. So, I grabbed a foam coffee cup from the cupboard, and went looking for the worms. There were a handful of worms that had washed into the creek during a rain storm earlier. We picked up a handful of worms, and then, I picked up the rod that I kept in the vehicle and he and I went fishing. We caught a half dozen trout, but I told my son that we really did not have time to clean and eat them at that time. He said, "that's OK Daddy, we both had fun didn't we?"

My then 4 year old son just called me tonight to give me an update on his last business trip. It is nice that although he is very busy and has a very good job that he still takes time to check in now and then.

Fun memories.

When I returned home, I went over the car to see if I could figure out why the car had so little power climbing the mountain. I had bought the car used and up until then, we had had no complaints with the vehicle. It had a big 4 barrel Rochester carb on the big engine and at first glance appeared to be fine. But, upon close inspection, I found the issue. Someone prior to my owning the vehicle and locked down the secondary barrels of the carb, so that the much larger secondary barrels would never open up. That was just fine for light load and low land driving, but when I pointed the car up into the air and after climbing for a couple of thousand feet, the engine had simply run out of air with the two small carb throats feeding the thirsty engine.

So, I pulled the locks off of the secondary and went through the correct calibration process for the carb and then took the car out for a test drive. BIG Difference. Yes, I lost gas mileage, if I floored the carb, but talk about doubling the power of the engine -- when it was fed enough air to burn the fuel from the carbs.

Good luck
Old 03-15-2017, 06:30 AM
Wallhanger

You should be fine. A trans cooler would be a great add on. Just be careful on the rolling hills of KY,TN and north GA, allow yourself plenty of room, especially thru Louisville,Nashville,Chattanooga and Atlanta.The 13ft Whaler is a great boat for the lakes down here. If going onto the gulf waters, watch the weather and stay inshore and have a Marine Radio.
Lowrance Elite 4 Gps/DI/Sonar