Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Tow small boat with Honda CRV - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers

Notices

Old 03-16-2017, 12:41 PM
Keeper

No guessing allowed. Take it to a scale and Know not guess the weight.

Every boat that I have weighed was over the guess by at least 300 pounds.

Drop the bucks and report the actual weight.

Had an 07 CRV and it worked hard, without a trailer to get to highway speed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2017, 07:54 AM
Minnow

I fully intend to take the boat to a scale to have it weighed. And I know what you mean that we tend to underestimate the total weight with all the "stuff" we load in. But at this point since I have not bought a boat yet I am using manufacturers specs for the weight of the boat, motor, and trailer, then adding in items like battery, anchors, full fuel tank, gear etc. I'm trying to estimate on the high side. Doing all that I estimate about 1000 pounds total.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:26 AM
Charter Member

x10 on Fishin Dan's comments about the use of a transmission cooler.

Always a good idea to have a cooler on the transmission.

Old 03-19-2017, 09:10 PM
Slot Fish

and carry the batteries and anchor in your car. Then your boat won't weigh so much !! ( of course I am kidding )
Old 03-29-2017, 09:32 PM
Keeper

Heat is your enemy. Each trip double check your tires/hubs on trailer before and during the trip. Rest stops and put hand on tire and hubs to make sure they aren't hot.

I would recommend getting a extra transmission cooler for pulling hills and in town driving with and w/o the boat and I would run Synthetic engine oil to give you some extra protection on heat just in case. Check some ODBII Connectors you can get a app to check trans temp on your drive is a nice to have item. Check your manual/dealer but a drop and refill on your transmission oil is good method to keep it in top shape and it only changes part of it so once a year drop and fill to cycle new oil into the system. Don't get a flush unless MFG states that is required.

Make sure trailer is level and get weight and new tires on trailer and inflate to what is needed based on load. Too much pressure is as bad as too little on long runs. Good tire shop can show you the weight / PSI needed. 10 more PSI give you 10 more MPH on many trailer tires but don't exceed max PSI and most trailer tires are rated at 65 mph so with 10 psi more it become 75 mph max. BTW that includes semi tires as well...

I used to have 8" tires on my 1975 starcraft's trailer but increased to 12" which reduces the rotations / mile on the hubs and tires run cooler. Just had to mount fender in second hole and swap tires/rims. Didn't affect my ability to launch but check on yours. Get them balanced as well due to the long highway runs this is even more important and I would get Radials as well as smoother ride and much price difference and they run cooler.

Wind will be your biggest load pulling this rig till you hit the hills, a good fit cover will save you gas and reduce this load a bit. Floppy cheap covers just turn into a parachute. If your near Madison, WI I can suggest a great guy for custom covers.

If I were to pick the basics I would do:
12" Tires if it has 8s and inflate based on actual load don't just inflate to max. If getting new tires scale first to make sure you get the right load rating as well.
Make sure 5-7% tongue weight (boats you don't need 10% on tongue) many trailers can adjust axle forward or back to change tongue weight. Measure and remeasure to ensure axle is same distance on both side when tightening down. Make sure ball is at the right height to level rig.
Check hubs/tires on the trip to ensure no heat issue.

Enjoy some fun in the sun. I'm towing a 4200lb boat/trailer with a 3500 capacity minivan. Driving over capacity isn't my suggestion, but keep in mind engineering things are designed with factor of safety and human life has a very high safety factor. Now your staying under that limit which is good and take your time you will be fine. Remember all the things cars used to tow.... I tweaked my vehicle (larger dia roters in front, dual caliper pistons vs single, bags, trans cooler) and I run trailers all the time at the farm. Vehicle handled it great with just air bags but other tweaks were to add some additional safety. What your looking to do should be no problem but practice some and take a few precautions and time and enjoy. If you get white knuckles make a stop and check everything then ease back. No need to drive the speed limit or faster. Many semi's will run behind you because it saves them fuel or you can follow some as well. Keep good distance and stay alert. Don't Don't Don't drive tired.