Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Advantage of Vantage ???? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Notices

Old 03-14-2017, 12:24 PM
Minnow

Default Advantage of Vantage ????

Hey guys, got a question regarding a Minn Kota Vantage. I recently ordered a new Alumacraft Competitor 185 Tiller. I use recently roughly here Jan 2nd to be exact and I still haven't received word that the boat is in yet. So the wait is long, but that's another story.

Anyways, because of the wait I've been thinking about additional options for my boat. Currently it'll have a new 2017 Terrova Ipilot Link connected to a Helix 9 at the bow. I had a similar setup with my last boat, a 1750 FishHawk Tiller. I used the bow mount a lot, but I also had a old Minn Kota motor on the tiller as well. It was just a regular 12v 55lb motor, but I rarely ever used the thing. I found it was much easier to just use the main motor when fishing in the back of the boat. It was kind of cumbersome to use, and the tiller handle was way to short, even with an extension.

So now with the new boat, I did order new wave whackers with the provisions for a Vantage, if I ever decide to go that route in the future. But I just can't decide if the extra $1600 is worth it, since I used the bow mount so much for slow speed trolling and main motor for other situations. Heck, I could get another Helix 10 for the back for that price.

So what are you opinions on these motors, do you use them much when you have a bow mount? Maybe I would use a electric tiller more with the bigger motor on the back. It'll have a Evinrude 90 HO on the back. Also, what I'm normally doing is fishing the Mississippi in the St. Cloud area, so I'm working rock piles a lot, and like to vertical jig over them. Then also do a lot of bank casting as well. I do some trolling, but mainly with the big motor. Or back trolling if I need to go slow in windy conditions. Otherwise I use the bow mount for slow trolling rigs and bottom bouncers.

Any help would be great....as I've got time to think about it. Yesterday was 10 long weeks of waiting for this boat to arrive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2017, 01:31 PM
Keeper

if you're a river guy, you would love the Vantage for vertical jigging. there's nothing better. the ratio steering gives you great control and the power trim allows you to deploy (and stow) the motor with the push of a button. The handle is nice and long too.
Minn Kota Terrova 112 Ipilot Link
1979 Cruisers Beachcomber
305 Chev Mercruiser

Last edited by Stratos219; 03-14-2017 at 01:35 PM.
Old 03-14-2017, 03:29 PM
Slot Fish

For precision fishing in light to moderate winds I prefer to use a Vantage over the bow mount but that's entirely up to you. Lot of guys prefer Spot Lock or to use the bow mount when fishing. If you don't think you're going to use it much then go a year without it and see if you find yourself in situations that would warrant the purchase. I don't think there is a day when I don't drop mine down for some reason. I use it all the time for slowing the boat down when pulling crankbaits in the spring.

Old 03-14-2017, 05:10 PM
Charter Member

For the longivity of a Vantage and that coupled with how much I use it, it would be better off left in the store. I piled another $500 into repairs into mine last year and hardly used it the previous 5 years. i have got to the point where I force myself to use it occasionally just to justify having it hanging on the back. The Terrova Ipilot does the job for me.
HB Helix 12 SI
101 Terrova I-pilot
101 Vantage
w5
Old 03-14-2017, 05:32 PM
Wallhanger

I have owned many Vantages and currently have one on my boat. They are awesome when they work. If you think you can do without one I would. I fish rivers quite a bit and sometimes they are just what you need. Good luck with your new rig.
Old 03-14-2017, 06:05 PM
Slot Fish

As a side note, many of the issues guys have with the Vantage is associated with the lift motor. If you replace the seals every year, $7.50 and 10 minutes, most problems seem to disappear.
Old 03-14-2017, 07:48 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratos219 View Post
if you're a river guy, you would love the Vantage for vertical jigging. there's nothing better. the ratio steering gives you great control and the power trim allows you to deploy (and stow) the motor with the push of a button. The handle is nice and long too.
See, I can see the advantage of it in some situations, when I'm vertical, but still want a slight drift with the current. Plus I wouldn't be using the main motor as much and keeping the hours down. I honestly need to get into a buddy's boat and try it out. But not many people around here have tillers, let alone one with a Vantage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooli004 View Post
As a side note, many of the issues guys have with the Vantage is associated with the lift motor. If you replace the seals every year, $7.50 and 10 minutes, most problems seem to disappear.
Yep, I knew a guy back in ND that has the same issues, and it was pretty common. I don't think he did much maintenance on his boat, as he got new electronics every year.

I think I will I do is try out boat for half the summer and make my decision. I'm trying to decide if I want to add another Helix at the transom or get the Vantage. Right now I'll have a Helix 10 SI at the rear, and the 9 up front, but would like another 9 2D in the rear ethernet'ed, so I can put just GPS or SI, DI or whatever on it. You can get a older 2D pretty cheap right now.
Old 03-15-2017, 07:44 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooli004 View Post
There is no seal on the top of a Vantage. Most moisture comes in off the road when driving in the rain. Having a travel cover made helps with this. Lousy design to be sure.
Old 03-15-2017, 08:04 AM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellpastcold View Post
There is no seal on the top of a Vantage. Most moisture comes in off the road when driving in the rain. Having a travel cover made helps with this. Lousy design to be sure.
I wasn't referring to the top, I was talking about the bottom seals.
Old 03-15-2017, 08:47 AM
Keeper

Seeing how you have the iPilot Link, I'm guessing you are planning to use the "follow the contour" system on your boat. Either with a Lakemaster chip or Autochart. I would think that would negate the need for a rear electric motor as well? Use the front to follow the contour line or track you made, use the cruise feature to go as slow as you want/need to, and use spot lock to hold you in place.

My unit is a wheel boat, but I added a 9.9 Pro Kicker on it thinking I would use it a ton. I found that I used the iPilot Link Terrova way more than I ever thought I would, to the point where I questioned adding the kicker. I would use what you have and save the space on the rear of the boat for a PowerPole or Talon.

SkWalter
Minn Kota Terrova 80# 24V iPilot Link
Humminbird Helix 9