Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Advantage of Vantage ???? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Notices

Old 03-15-2017, 11:00 AM
Minnow

I have one on my ProGuide. I would Never be without one. I use it every time I fish. I drift jigs religiously and the Vantage is just what I need. I did not have one on my Alaskan and I regretted it every day
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2017, 01:56 PM
Keeper

I had one for the 2014 and half of the 2015 season. I really tried to like the motor as everyone says the 4:1 steering and the auto up and down is great, and if you back troll its a needed item. What I found was that I hated it over my Minnkota Traxxis. Yeah the Traxxis has to come up into the boat when you're not using it; but for me I fish often very rocky shores and sharp breaks and need to go forward every once in a while when someone gets stuck to the bottom of the lake. The Vantage only goes in one direction. If you want to switch it to go forwards you have to pull back on a tab and than lift the arrow cap and rotate the entire drive motor around. and than after you are done going forward you have to switch it back to reverse. on the traxxis you just have to turn the throttle and you are going forwards. It might not be as powerful as if I switched the motor around but it is enough to get lines unstuck and than resume your back troll. After selling the motor I've never looked back and regret nothing. I am glad I tried it as it is regarded as the best transom mounted trolling motor and I would always wonder if it really is better but i think the only reason people think that it is better is because they spent so much money on the motor that they "have" to like it
elite HDI-7
Old 03-15-2017, 03:48 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVanek View Post
I had one for the 2014 and half of the 2015 season. I really tried to like the motor as everyone says the 4:1 steering and the auto up and down is great, and if you back troll its a needed item. What I found was that I hated it over my Minnkota Traxxis. Yeah the Traxxis has to come up into the boat when you're not using it; but for me I fish often very rocky shores and sharp breaks and need to go forward every once in a while when someone gets stuck to the bottom of the lake. The Vantage only goes in one direction. If you want to switch it to go forwards you have to pull back on a tab and than lift the arrow cap and rotate the entire drive motor around. and than after you are done going forward you have to switch it back to reverse. on the traxxis you just have to turn the throttle and you are going forwards. It might not be as powerful as if I switched the motor around but it is enough to get lines unstuck and than resume your back troll. After selling the motor I've never looked back and regret nothing. I am glad I tried it as it is regarded as the best transom mounted trolling motor and I would always wonder if it really is better but i think the only reason people think that it is better is because they spent so much money on the motor that they "have" to like it
Despite its obvious flaws, I love my Vantage. I wouldn't want to be without it, and it's pretty much mandatory equipment for boat control if you're going to fish tournaments up here.

JVanek, in the situation you're describing, there's no need to rotate the drive mechanism, just turn the handle all the way to one side or the other, and with the 4X steering, you're actually past 180 degrees, and going forward. It's a little awkward, but easy to do, and it definitely works well enough for those times when you want to move forward, at least it does for me.

Waxy

Old 03-15-2017, 04:14 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVanek View Post
Despite its obvious flaws, I love my Vantage. I wouldn't want to be without it, and it's pretty much mandatory equipment for boat control if you're going to fish tournaments up here.

JVanek, in the situation you're describing, there's no need to rotate the drive mechanism, just turn the handle all the way to one side or the other, and with the 4X steering, you're actually past 180 degrees, and going forward. It's a little awkward, but easy to do, and it definitely works well enough for those times when you want to move forward, at least it does for me.

Waxy
The time I really wished I had forward and reverse was when I was fishing a very rocky northern Minnesota lake drifing very close to shore, in windy conditions and whenever I turned the motor hard right or left I than would have to go the other way. I really wanted to like the motor I just couldn't justify it. I'm super happy you enjoy it waxy and if the OP does get one I hope he enjoys it as well. Maybe my expectations were too high for it. If they redisigned it I'd probably buy one, I'm just really happy with my traxxis.
Old 03-15-2017, 04:26 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxy View Post

Waxy
+1 for me. I love my Vantage although I did have one issue with it. The up/down switch got water in it after driving to Canada in the pouring rain. I just pulled the rubber membrane off of it so I could short out the switch to make it work until I got home. I like wellpastcold's idea of using a travel cover maybe even while moring.

PS: The 4X steering does take a little time to get used too or you end up oversteering.
Old 03-16-2017, 12:17 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooli004 View Post
I wasn't referring to the top, I was talking about the bottom seals.
I was aware. Are you aware of the position of the lift motor? Do you really believe water is getting in through the lower unit and travelling all the way up to foul the lift motor? Have you ever seen what the lift motor looks like when it is crudded up? Do you really think putting new seals in would help the longevity of the motor if the lower unit was full enough of water to flood all the way up to the lift motor?
Old 03-16-2017, 08:33 AM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellpastcold View Post
I was aware. Are you aware of the position of the lift motor? Do you really believe water is getting in through the lower unit and travelling all the way up to foul the lift motor? Have you ever seen what the lift motor looks like when it is crudded up? Do you really think putting new seals in would help the longevity of the motor if the lower unit was full enough of water to flood all the way up to the lift motor?
Wow, way to make yourself seem gregarious. Yes, I am very well aware of the position of the lift motor and all of the other facets you asked about. I know of many situations that gentlemen were having difficulties with they lift motors going out. A local guide suggested replacing the seals every year and I started doing that back in 2004, haven't had a single issue since and neither has anyone I've suggested this to. But being that you seem to know everything, maybe this simple trick is hard for you to fathom.
Old 03-16-2017, 09:11 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooli004 View Post
Wow, way to make yourself seem gregarious. Yes, I am very well aware of the position of the lift motor and all of the other facets you asked about. I know of many situations that gentlemen were having difficulties with they lift motors going out. A local guide suggested replacing the seals every year and I started doing that back in 2004, haven't had a single issue since and neither has anyone I've suggested this to. But being that you seem to know everything, maybe this simple trick is hard for you to fathom.
Thank you for the compliment. I am definitely gregarious. Friendly, outgoing and highly sociable. That's what you meant right? Lol. A thesaurus is your friend. No that is not a dinosaur. Have a good day bud.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:25 AM
Minnow

Ok, so just another question regarding the operation of the Vantage. Do you really have to turn the heading arrow around to go forward and reverse? To me that seems like a PITA. When floating over a rock pile I want to be able to quickly adjust my forward and reverse momentum, especially when it's windy or the current is ripping.

Can someone please verify that you can quickly adjust your forward and reverse direction without having to move the arrow? I'm sure this will be an easy answer for guys with the motor.

Thanks for your help guys.

I just got wind from my dealer that my boat should arrive tomorrow or Saturday.

I don't think I've ever been this happy to get out before walleye opener and go for spring crappies.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:29 AM
Wallhanger

No you don't. With the 4 to 1 steering you simply push or pull the handle as far as it will go in either direction. I'm sure you will be happy with it. You just need to know that you will be spending $ on maintenance. If you are ok with that, all is good.