Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Advantage of Vantage ???? - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Notices

Old 03-16-2017, 10:33 AM
Minnow

So, what exactly is involved with the maintenance. I see you've mentioned replacing seals, what's needed to do that, I know seals. But, can it easily be done while still on boat? Know of any write-ups?

I'm ok with maintenance, everything else on a boat needs it from time to time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2017, 10:35 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellpastcold View Post
No you don't. With the 4 to 1 steering you simply push or pull the handle as far as it will go in either direction. I'm sure you will be happy with it.
You definitely don't need to turn the heading arrow around to go forward or reverse. Going forwards and backwards is simple with the 4:1 steering.

The other thing I like to do is have the bow mount in the water as well. Then a simple press of a button on the remote and the bow mount pulls me forward if I need it.

Waxy
Old 03-16-2017, 10:43 AM
Minnow

I guess my other question is.....why the heck hasn't Minn Kota added GPS to the Vantage, as well as link? Now that would be nice. You could spot lock both the front and rear motors, it would be like having to anchors.

I think I'll give one a try and see how it goes. They obviously seem to hold their used value well, in case I decide to sell it.

Old 03-16-2017, 11:00 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Z28 View Post
So, what exactly is involved with the maintenance. I see you've mentioned replacing seals, what's needed to do that, I know seals. But, can it easily be done while still on boat? Know of any write-ups?

I'm ok with maintenance, everything else on a boat needs it from time to time.
You are asking all the right questions. I suppose it depends on how much you are going to use your boat. It also matters how much and how far you travel when trailering. Pretty much most anglers I have ever met that own Vantages will tell you about how they have broken down on them whether in a tournament or on a trip. Most of the guys I fish tournaments with carry a spare Vantage, I do as well. To avoid these issues, at minimum I take my Vantage in every second year for a complete cleaning, lubrication and replacement of the lift motor. This costs about $125 where I live. I use my Vantage a ton. The thing that frustrates folks is that it doesn't seem to matter how much you use them, as long as it hangs off the back of the boat you will need to keep up with regular maintenance. Way more than any other transom mount trolling motor. Some guys will tell you it's not necessary or that they have never had that problem. With the Vantage you can't ignore them or you will have problems. You also don't tend to get any warning. You can be fishing all day everything is great, go to hit the up button to retract the motor and no lift. Now you need to either fiddle with the up / down button or loosen the mounts and pull the **** thing into the boat. I don't want to sound totally negative but I think you deserve to know that they are not set it and forget it items. On the bright side they make back trolling a dream, are very easy to operate and greatly enhance boat control. I just wish there was a credible competitor in this niche, it would force Minn Kota to fix the long known issues with these motors. Kinda how Minn Kota had to scramble to fix the crappy spot lock on their bowmount motors. ( I also own a Terrova before anybody accuses me of being a Motorguide guy)
Old 03-16-2017, 11:11 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
I guess my other question is.....why the heck hasn't Minn Kota added GPS to the Vantage, as well as link? Now that would be nice. You could spot lock both the front and rear motors, it would be like having to anchors.

I think I'll give one a try and see how it goes. They obviously seem to hold their used value well, in case I decide to sell it.
The Vantage is an amazing motor, but it could be SO much better. I could write a book on all the things I'd like to see Minnkota improve with the Vantage design. The big three:

- Properly sealed housing for the lift motor mechanism and electronics with more robust components
- Actual sealed bearings in the steering assembly rather than nothing or cheap bushings
- A real aluminum handle mount, not the $0.05 white metal piece they use, then they could add a stronger handle with a longer extension

I'm not sure how valuable GPS or remote control of the Vantage would be to me, but it definitely couldn't hurt.

Unfortunately, the Vantage is in a very small market with no direct competition, and it just doesn't get their attention.

Waxy
Old 03-16-2017, 11:17 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxy View Post
The Vantage is an amazing motor, but it could be SO much better. I could write a book on all the things I'd like to see Minnkota improve with the Vantage design. The big three:

- Properly sealed housing for the lift motor mechanism and electronics with more robust components
- Actual sealed bearings in the steering assembly rather than nothing or cheap bushings
- A real aluminum handle mount, not the $0.05 white metal piece they use, then they could add a stronger handle with a longer extension

I'm not sure how valuable GPS or remote control of the Vantage would be to me, but it definitely couldn't hurt.

Unfortunately, the Vantage is in a very small market with no direct competition, and it just doesn't get their attention.

Waxy
You got it sir! Think about a steer by wire Vantage, so an electric-steer/GPS/spot lock capability could be achieved.

An Ulterra for the transom!

HRG
Old 03-16-2017, 01:13 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Ok, so just another question regarding the operation of the Vantage. Do you really have to turn the heading arrow around to go forward and reverse? To me that seems like a PITA. When floating over a rock pile I want to be able to quickly adjust my forward and reverse momentum, especially when it's windy or the current is ripping.

Can someone please verify that you can quickly adjust your forward and reverse direction without having to move the arrow? I'm sure this will be an easy answer for guys with the motor.

Thanks for your help guys.

I just got wind from my dealer that my boat should arrive tomorrow or Saturday.

I don't think I've ever been this happy to get out before walleye opener and go for spring crappies.
Watch the linked video i have attached below. Yes with 4:1 steering you can go "forwards" but that is it, it is a PITA to steer left or right when going forwards without turning the motor 180 degrees. You can get an idea how going forwards works by watching the arrow in the video. If i was you what i would do if you are interested is to buy a used vantage (because its going to break anyways why spend 1500 on a new one) but don't buy the wave wacker. Try it out on calm days (since you don't have the wave wacker) and than if you like it buy the wave wacker for it, but if you don't like it you aren't out a wave wacker and a trolling motor.

https://youtu.be/uAqwOQJpLoo

It takes all people in the world to advance the fishing market but I'll say it again I love the simplicity of my 80lbs traxxis. I got rid of my vantage and haven't ever looked back. My vantage never broke on me but the guy i sold it too was buying mine because his had just broke on him and had a tournament that weekend. He loved the vantage motor he just hated the reliability.
elite HDI-7
Old 03-16-2017, 05:20 PM
Wallhanger

With the new trolling motors out i see no advantage for the vantage. 2 weeks ago amazon had the vantage 80 regularly for $1800 down to $1100 and that still wasn't enough for me to buy one.
Terrova
Hydro Wave
Old 03-16-2017, 06:48 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVanek View Post
If i was you what i would do if you are interested is to buy a used vantage (because its going to break anyways why spend 1500 on a new one) but don't buy the wave wacker. Try it out on calm days (since you don't have the wave wacker) and than if you like it buy the wave wacker for it, but if you don't like it you aren't out a wave wacker and a trolling motor.
Unfortunately/fortunately, I have already purchased/ordered the wave whacker when I ordered the boat for a Vantage. I figured it could never hurt, and honestly won't be a big deal if I decide to not get one for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrenf442 View Post
With the new trolling motors out i see no advantage for the vantage. 2 weeks ago amazon had the vantage 80 regularly for $1800 down to $1100 and that still wasn't enough for me to buy one.
I can only assume you were looking at a refurbished unit for $1100. I see them on ebay for that price pretty commonly. I have never seen a Vantage sell for over $1600, which is what every big box store sells them for.

I will probably end up with one in a week or so. But, I was just wondering what everyone's opinion is.

So with this question in hand....I can either get a used Vantage for about $850, or I can buy another Helix 10 2D(the New Chirp model for slightly less) for the transom(have a Helix 10SI back there already), then what would you guys do?
Old 03-16-2017, 07:38 PM
Slot Fish

Why not just run your Helix 9 in the stern and run an extra power cable to the bow for those times you want it up there? Takes 30 seconds to move them around and depending on your fishing style, having a dedicated bow unit can be a waste of money for some guys. That way you'll have a Helix 10 and 9 in the stern but still have the option to run either one in the bow, and be able to afford the Vantage.