Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Terrova or power drive - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Notices

Old 03-15-2017, 03:07 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon View Post
Just looked on Amazon. $417 is for the straight ipilot. No link. The ones with link are $750 plus.
I was going to say... if you can find link for $417 you better buy 4 or 5 and flip them.

Keep an eye on this link. They are sold out now, but their stock fluctuates very quickly and prices change almost by the hour some times. I bought my i pilot through them and got a STEAL, just by checking the product listing every time I was at the computer, caught it for around $250 off retail.

https://www.universalmania.com/produ...-powerdrive-v2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2017, 08:47 PM
Minnow

Found a site where I could get a 55 pd Riptide with link for $1200. It's a legacy though which I'm guessing is the last generation. Riptide is just a saltwater Terrova right? My boat is white so it would look ok. Is there a downside to going this way.
Old 03-15-2017, 09:46 PM
Wallhanger

They are sold as either riptide powerdrive or riptide terrova in the new system. In the legacy line they were SP (powerdrive) and ST (terrova). There is nothing wrong with using the riptide in freshwater.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 03-16-2017, 04:43 AM
Minnow

I have this setup with the Powerdrive V2 and the ipilot link. I purchased them seperately and just shopped hard for great deals. I ended up getting the motor at Gander as they matched a price for $500 brand new. Then I found the link on a site like jet or universalmania and I paid right around $600 for it. So $1100 for everything and the only real downfall is no foot pedal.

I do admit the foot pedal not there is a bit of a pain in the ***. If you are trying to change a bait or something while trolling, and there are other lines in the water, it is a pain to steer with the hand remote at the same time. It just has you stopping to steer at weird times. Fishing alone or not trolling is no biggie as you can just anchor.

That being said, I still think it was worth the savings over purchasing a Terrova. (although the new Terrova has the lift assist, which would be really nice)
Old 03-16-2017, 06:20 AM
Keeper

I had a Power Drive V2 with I pilot and then switched to the Terrova w/ I pilot for a couple of reasons. First of which was not being able to use the foot pedal along with the remote. The other no probbly most important was the ease of deployment. My wife struggled to deploy and also stow the Power Drive. My Terrova was incredibly easy to deploy that my 10 year old would want to handle deploying and stowing the TM in the water when we were fishing by ourselves.
Old 03-16-2017, 07:55 AM
Minnow

I think I have decided to go with a Terrova and sell my power drive. Just gotta keep looking for a better deal. Sure is easy to spend money on fishing. Not so easy to save money.
Old 03-16-2017, 08:01 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon View Post
I think I have decided to go with a Terrova and sell my power drive. Just gotta keep looking for a better deal. Sure is easy to spend money on fishing. Not so easy to save money.
at least there's a $50 rebate on the 55#, until the end of May.

http://www.minnkotamotors.com/promotions.aspx#Terrova

HRG
Old 03-16-2017, 11:39 AM
Wallhanger

You asked which is better...the Terrova is much better.

You'll have to evaluate the cost/benefit for yourself.

The only other thought I have is that a 12 volt, 55 lb. thrust is likely inadequate for any but the smallest of boats.
Old 03-16-2017, 12:27 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Further North View Post

The only other thought I have is that a 12 volt, 55 lb. thrust is likely inadequate for any but the smallest of boats.
It's a really light alumacraft v-16 lunker. I think 55 pd will work. I have thought the same but don't really want to add another battery because of weight and room. Not much storage up front the way it is. Will have the main motor running and just use the trolling motor for steering. Throw out a sock if it's too fast. Should work good for pulling cranks.
Old 03-16-2017, 01:11 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Further North View Post

What makes it "much better"? The only difference is the locking mechanism.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk