Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Lightweight 36volt Set-Up - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Notices

Old 03-16-2017, 03:06 PM
Wallhanger

Default Like you always advise, contact the manufacturer,,,,,

Quote:
Originally Posted by rew View Post
b-man,
if you have a pair of 12 volt batteries to connect to your 36 volt trolling motor, go ahead and hook up the batteries and take the boat out on open water if and or when it is available.

I suspect that you will be happy with the performance of the 36 volt motor on your boat running with 24 volts.

You certainly won't hurt the motor.

Most of the controllers on trolling motors are 12 volt controllers. They just have the ability to control the higher voltage that runs - generally - only to the motor itself.

Here is the motor control board for your motor. Note, that it is the same control board - whether the motor is powered by 24 volts or 36 volts.

https://northlandmarine.com/collecti...-board-2774014

the motor will run just fine on 12 volts, it will just run 1/3rd slower than if you have it powered with 36 volts.

Take care
hrg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MK warning.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	248370  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2017, 05:36 PM
Charter Member

HRG,
I read and understand your post.

But, what happens to you and your trolling motor as you go from a fully charged 36 volt batter to completely discharged.

As the voltage drops, the voltage at - some point will be 24 volts and then as some point will be at 12 volts.

I know that there are many many folks who run their motors until the batteries are completely discharged.

Then, after charging up their batteries again to a fully charged state, they go fishing and the motor performs perfectly.

Just wondering.

Be safe
Old 03-16-2017, 05:51 PM
Keeper

I definitely dont know as much as much about the different mother boards or flux capaciters as others on this site, but I keep it simple...24v 2 batteries, 36v 3 batteries. Put it to rest, get the 24v and dont look back. The last thing you want to be doing is second guessing your set-up all the time.

Old 03-16-2017, 06:03 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
HRG,
I read and understand your post.

But, what happens to you and your trolling motor as you go from a fully charged 36 volt batter to completely discharged.

As the voltage drops, the voltage at - some point will be 24 volts and then as some point will be at 12 volts.

I know that there are many many folks who run their motors until the batteries are completely discharged.

Then, after charging up their batteries again to a fully charged state, they go fishing and the motor performs perfectly.

Just wondering.

Be safe
REW,
For as smart as you think you are, try doing some research as to what voltage a 12V battery is at 0% state of charge. It's not zero volts. More like 10-10.5V. So a 36V system would still be at 30 volts, not 24 or 12.

I'm done with you. It's time to add you to my list of blocked posters.

Be safe, and goodbye. HRG
Old 03-16-2017, 07:47 PM
Keeper

And before REW suggests it.......I'm not spending $5,000 on lithium batteries lol

Maybe he already said it, but......why not throw a 200hp motor on that rig. You will have the fastest possible combo for that hull and easily make up for the 3 batteries.
Old 03-16-2017, 08:07 PM
Keeper

Quote:
B-man,
You could also run the motor on 24 volts if you wish.
It will cut down on your longevity, and your top speed, but otherwise, it will work just fine.

By the way, 3 group 31 batteries at 60 lbs each are only 180 lbs.

Since you have the 60 hp motor, you could just leave out all of the trolling motor batteries and the trolling motor and save your self 150 lbs if you want minimum weight.

You could put a 5 hp kicker on the transom and only have about 110 lb weight added to the boat.

Be safe
OP wasn't asking whether or not to buy the 36v trolling motor but rather how to minimize weight with 3 batteries.
He more than likely wants to fish from the bow so how does mounting a 5hp kicker help.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:27 PM
Charter Member

B-man,
Just use 3- very good matched 12 volt batteries to power your 36 volt trolling motor.
For reasonable trolling motor time, use at least a group 27 battery for each of the batteries.

If you have troubles getting on plane with the extra weight - just try before buying a couple of different lower pitch props to effectively shift to a lower gear to handle the extra weight.

If you select the correct prop, you will have plenty of hole shot at the expense of a somewhat slower top speed.

Good luck
Old 03-16-2017, 10:38 PM
Charter Member

Just as a point of reference.
The following specifications are for flooded lead acid batteries by group number:

Group 24 -- 75 amp hour - weight 42 lbs
Group 27 -- 90 amp hour - weight 53 lbs.
Group 31 - 105 amp hour - weight 63 lbs.

So, by installing 3-group 24 batteries rather than 3 group 31 batteries you save 63 lbs.

But, by installing 3-group 24 batteries rather than 3- group 27 batteries you save 33 lbs.

Weight of 3 group 24 batteries = 126 lbs

Weight of 3 group 27 batteries = 159 lbs

Weight of 3 group 31 batteries = 189 lbs.

So, the difference in weight is the difference between your wife and your father in law - more or less.

Good luck
Old 03-17-2017, 05:41 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Just as a point of reference.
The following specifications are for flooded lead acid batteries by group number:

Group 24 -- 75 amp hour - weight 42 lbs
Group 27 -- 90 amp hour - weight 53 lbs.
Group 31 - 105 amp hour - weight 63 lbs.

So, by installing 3-group 24 batteries rather than 3 group 31 batteries you save 63 lbs.

But, by installing 3-group 24 batteries rather than 3- group 27 batteries you save 33 lbs.

Weight of 3 group 24 batteries = 126 lbs

Weight of 3 group 27 batteries = 159 lbs

Weight of 3 group 31 batteries = 189 lbs.

So, the difference in weight is the difference between your wife and your father in law - more or less.

Good luck
Good info here...

Remember the 36 volt trolling motors pull less amps than the 24 volts units. Unfortunately the Terrova's (had to look this up) are not much different in amp draw unlike the XI5's 36v/24v that I am more familiar with.

another way to look at it:

36v (3) group 24 Batteries=126# 75 amp hours with a max draw of 52 or 1 hour 26 minutes at full draw

24v (2) group 31 Batteries=126# 105 amp hours with a max draw of 56 or 1 hour 52 minutes at full draw (25% more time)

or

36v (3) group 31 Batteries=189# 105 amp hours with a max draw of 52 or 2 hours at full draw

Sounds like we are splitting hairs now.

Last edited by Ichthyguy; 03-17-2017 at 05:49 AM.
Old 03-17-2017, 06:08 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Runr Guy View Post
REW,
For as smart as you think you are, try doing some research as to what voltage a 12V battery is at 0% state of charge. It's not zero volts. More like 10-10.5V. So a 36V system would still be at 30 volts, not 24 or 12.

I'm done with you. It's time to add you to my list of blocked posters.

Be safe, and goodbye. HRG
Pretty much says it all right there. I have read quite a few of his posts that reek of hot air . Does he just like to hear himself talk, or in this case, see his thoughts in print. I'm not an electrical engineer but I knew as HRG pointed out that full discharge is still approximately 10.5V.

Apologies to the op for this topic getting sideways.