Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Xt vs BigGame Berkley mono - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Notices

Old 03-17-2017, 11:39 AM
Keeper

Default Xt vs BigGame Berkley mono

So I'm about to get a large spool for respooling the trolling rods. I see the 10lb Biggame is a lot cheaper than the XT. Is there a big difference in these lines. Should I pay the extra for the xt or just go with the cheap big game. From what I can tell the big game may have a little more stretch.

My buddy uses 16 lb sunline with the same dia as most 10 lb monos which the dive charts are based off of. But I really haven't had any issues with 10 lb so ill probably stick with that.

Thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2017, 11:14 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfraze10 View Post
So I'm about to get a large spool for respooling the trolling rods. I see the 10lb Biggame is a lot cheaper than the XT. Is there a big difference in these lines. Should I pay the extra for the xt or just go with the cheap big game. From what I can tell the big game may have a little more stretch.

My buddy uses 16 lb sunline with the same dia as most 10 lb monos which the dive charts are based off of. But I really haven't had any issues with 10 lb so ill probably stick with that.

Thanks guys.
Check the thickness of the lines. to compare............if you use dive charts. Xt is a good line, but 10# xt isnt 10lb line it is more like 12lb line. Big game is good line, but it will streach considerable more then xt does. Neither line has given me memory issues. I don't mind Big game for river fishing or for catfish. Trolling it just seems to streach a bit to much for me.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:31 PM
Keeper

I can't help you much because I don't use any mono line larger than 6 lb test. But I would go with the more expensive line. Yes, XT is harder than Big Game. Don't believe what anything that the companys say about their lines. Go by the actual diameter of the line. However, I do believe that the cheaper lines have more diameter variances throughout their length.
Cannon Easi-Troll downrigger
14 foot Sportspal canoe and 32 lb electric or 2 h.p. Suzuki
16 foot cedar strip canoe and 4 h.p. Evinrude or 32 lb electric

Old 03-18-2017, 11:14 PM
Wallhanger

I use Big Game, 12# same diameter as the 10#XT, and use it for double duty for walleye/steelhead & salmon so I appreciate the stretch. I don't feel like it has cost me walleye and I know I have better hook up success on the harder striking species. YMMV

1989 Alumacraft Lunker V-14
1997 Yamaha 20hp 2 stroke
Minnkota Endura 35

2012 Tracker Grizzly FB-14
2014 Mercury 9.9hp (for now)

1995 16 1/2' Michicraft Canoe
Old 03-19-2017, 04:02 AM
Charter Member

Years ago, I used line other than Big Game.

But several years ago, I switched to 12 lb Big Game - I have 0 issues with Big Game.

I appreciate the fact that there is some stretch with the line. I feel that I lose many fewer fish with a like like this that has some stretch.

In particular, if you happen to hook into a hard fighting trout, or salmon while trolling, the odds are much better in landing the fish if there is some stretch in the line.

Good luck
Old 03-19-2017, 04:44 PM
Wallhanger

I find Big game to be stiffer than XT. OK for baitcast. Bob
Old 03-20-2017, 05:40 AM
Slot Fish

Ive been using 12lb Big game trolling Erie for the past 3 years. I have had absolutely no problems with it. It is by far my favorite line, it is cheap and available pretty much anywhere.

Check your local Walmart, Mine had 1/4 spools on clearance for $1.99
Old 03-20-2017, 07:10 PM
Wallhanger

Both are reliable lines. Take a look at Maxima 10.lb. great trolling line with boards, cranks and harnesses
Old 03-20-2017, 09:18 PM
Slot Fish

I use big game for all mono applications over 12lbs any more. From what I have found on research and testing is that it falls somewhere between XL and XT. Here is some stretch test from a bass site. It looks like the difference between the two would be about the same given you are using 12lb big gam and 10lb XT. I also am a big fan of re spooling several times a year.

https://www.bassresource.com/bass-fi...t-vs-big-game/
Old 03-21-2017, 02:24 PM
Slot Fish

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Received 2 spools of the 1175 yds 12# Green for this price.

Tags
mono berkley biggame xt