Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Crayfish - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-18-2017, 08:16 AM
clawman clawman is online now
Wallhanger
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Spokane WA
Posts: 818
Default Crayfish

Have you caught walleyes that spit out crayfish in the livewell? If so do you use baits that represent crayfish? Which ones?
__________________
gun control = 2 shots in one hole
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 03-18-2017, 08:23 AM
Rick Johnston Rick Johnston is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Cheyenne, Wyoming, USA.
Posts: 619
Default

All the time. Mostly 1" long ones. When the wind rocks them loose from the crevices they feed like crazy. They must be by what they spit up. Patterning with plastics not so successful. Success with shap rap crawdad no 5.

It would make a great live bait if you could get them. Crayfish have a lot hatches.

I keep trying to pattern with limited success . A rusty red colored jig head tip with worm tip is probably my best go to.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-18-2017, 11:06 AM
kzoofisher's Avatar
kzoofisher kzoofisher is online now
Wallhanger
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Kalamazoo, Mi
Posts: 1,544
Default

Yes and tube jigs. In water where crayfish are abundant they work great, especially if prey fish numbers are low. Also anywhere with gobies, a two for one bait. Gravel areas are good, softer bottom I think the crayfish stay buried and aren't very available to walleye. Tube jigs are also good in the rocks, the plastic body hangs up and pulls free unlike a jig head or hook. I've seen people fish a single tube for days in Canada and never lose it. Colors I use most are pumpkin and green pumpkin and whatever the brand calls their green/olive/orange/yellow combinations. 3"-3 1/2" work well on 3/16 jigs for water to 25'. If you hate catching smallmouth be warned that they will hit the tubes like crazy, too. And pike. If you are in an area where walleye are puking crayfish up definitely give them a try, either vertically jigged or cast. Let 'em have some slack on the fall and they will have an erratic side action like jigging minnows.
Reply With Quote
 
  #4  
Old 03-18-2017, 11:10 AM
Kevin23 Kevin23 is online now
Wallhanger
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 1,391
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by clawman View Post
Have you caught walleyes that spit out crayfish in the livewell? If so do you use baits that represent crayfish? Which ones?
Just about every day in the summer!

Never used a crawdad lure other than "crawdad" colored hard baits, which work very well in the summer.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-18-2017, 02:15 PM
Rick Johnston Rick Johnston is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Cheyenne, Wyoming, USA.
Posts: 619
Default

I keep trying tubes. Bass like'em for sure. Most bass tubes are too big to pattern what they pukeup. Little tubes about 1-1.5" long with a brownish green colored head jig head . Ought to be a killer - I keep trying!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-18-2017, 02:28 PM
Kevin23 Kevin23 is online now
Wallhanger
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 1,391
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Johnston View Post
I keep trying tubes. Bass like'em for sure. Most bass tubes are too big to pattern what they pukeup. Little tubes about 1-1.5" long with a brownish green colored head jig head . Ought to be a killer - I keep trying!


What size walleye are you going to be targeting with 1" tubes?? 8 inchers? I dont even use 1" tubes for bluegill.
Ive caught a lot of walleye on 3" finesse bass tubes (a little thinner than a standard tube). Also some 2.5" tubes from Arkie i believe, but you have to use a small jig with these.

Most craws puked up in my livewell are 3-4" or just 1" claw tips from the 3-4" craws. I find it hard to believe a decent walleye would waste its time looking for 1" crawfish. It would probably eat one if it bumped the eye in the nose, but that would be like you looking for a pea in your back yard.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-18-2017, 02:33 PM
cutting edge
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzoofisher View Post
Yes and tube jigs. In water where crayfish are abundant they work great, especially if prey fish numbers are low. Also anywhere with gobies, a two for one bait. Gravel areas are good, softer bottom I think the crayfish stay buried and aren't very available to walleye. Tube jigs are also good in the rocks, the plastic body hangs up and pulls free unlike a jig head or hook. I've seen people fish a single tube for days in Canada and never lose it. Colors I use most are pumpkin and green pumpkin and whatever the brand calls their green/olive/orange/yellow combinations. 3"-3 1/2" work well on 3/16 jigs for water to 25'. If you hate catching smallmouth be warned that they will hit the tubes like crazy, too. And pike. If you are in an area where walleye are puking crayfish up definitely give them a try, either vertically jigged or cast. Let 'em have some slack on the fall and they will have an erratic side action like jigging minnows.
Well said!

Tubes are an overlooked bait by walleye anglers (most relate tubes to fishing for smallies), but many Smallmouth anglers catch many walleye along with the targeted smallies (especially in the northern and northeastern US and many Canadian lakes. Tubes catch many species of fish.


Good Luck!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-18-2017, 05:58 PM
Canga~ Canga~ is offline
Keeper
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Central Wisconsin
Posts: 250
Default

i use a lot of small (less than 3") tubes for smallies all the time, and catch a good amount of walleyes as well. i usually use a 1/8 tube jig with a 2.5" Berkeley power tube or a 3" Gitzit chub tube.

last year i was using a Z-man TRD Tube on a wire keeper jig head, and will probably use them a bit more this year as i caught a ton of fish on them, and you can use a bit lighter head since they arent a normal tube, the head of the tube is solid so you can use a regular jig head (though the wire keeper jigs hold the elazatech material better)
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-18-2017, 08:07 PM
Atgman Atgman is offline
Minnow
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 8
Default

Last year went smallie fishing in the rocks. Didn't catch a single one, but did catch walleyes 4'' tubes olive green with red flecks.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-19-2017, 07:02 AM
Bill Krejca Bill Krejca is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Robins, Iowa, US.
Posts: 3,692
Default

Tubes of a variety of colors are good for many species, superglue holds them on most any jig head.

Bill
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.