Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Issue w new minn Kota terrova - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Notices

Old 03-18-2017, 11:28 AM
Wallhanger

Default Issue w new minn Kota terrova

Went to install new terrova today after pulling boat out of storage. When I went to put motor on I noticed that the us2 and skeg portions of the motor housing are canted off of the center housing. Then as installing the prop I notice that the prop does not turn freely and bumps/grinds as it turns. The shaft doesn't seem to be bent from what I can see. I have emails out to minn Kota and the place of purchase. Any other advice?http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...cb031c1f7d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2017, 12:19 PM
Minnow

Default Made on friday

I hope the store you bought it from will exchange it for you. Looks like it was the last one off the line on a Friday before vacation.
Quality control missed that one unless it was damaged somehow?
Old 03-18-2017, 12:35 PM
Wallhanger

Default Issue w new minn Kota terrova

Minn Kota got back to me. They think it was dropped in shipping. It is already at certified repair having warranty work done. Guess I will see how it goes.

Glad there was a repair center close.

Last edited by WallyWarrior; 03-18-2017 at 12:38 PM.

Old 03-18-2017, 03:18 PM
Wallhanger

repaired ,you should have got a brand new one
Terrova
Hydro Wave
Old 03-18-2017, 03:38 PM
Keeper

Ya no way I'd be repairing it. What else is wrong that you can't see ?

It would suck to find problems in prime season and to be without for any length of time.

Old 03-19-2017, 12:19 AM
Minnow

You received a ridiculous excuse from Minn Kota. I purchased a new 2017 model Ulterra iPilot and the same bent skeg issue over 11 degrees from center. I was instructed to take the brand new unit to an authorized service center to replace the thru-bolts in the lower unit. New unit, never been in the water, not acceptable. I'm certain it was assembled improperly. I returned the unit for a full refund. Good thing I didn't sell the previous Ulterra I had.

Minn Kota better step up their game or long-time customers will be disappearing.
Old 03-19-2017, 05:50 AM
Charter Member

Real easy for this to happen. I've had my skeg cant out of position simply by picking up the trolling motor using the skeg as a handle. (Probably not a good thing to do) What happened was the skeg and the transducer housing serve as end caps for the electric motor. As such, the only thing holding them in position are the thru bolts. There is no indexing pin or notch for them to line up to. What this means is that they can, under enough load, rotate out of position.

This is not necessarily a bad thing. Given the choice, I'd rather they were allowed to rotate , rather than bend or break upon a side impact.

In my case I lifted the unit from the deck to install it into the slide bracket. When I lifted it using the skeg as a handle, the skeg rotated about 10 degrees. I simply pushed it back to where it was in alignment. I've made a mental note to myself not to use the skeg as a lifting device.

I suppose I could torque the thru bolts a bit tighter to prevent movement. Other than tearing it apart to inspect the o-ring I suspect that, all the repair shop is going to do, is tighten the thru bolts.

Last edited by Huntindave; 03-19-2017 at 05:52 AM.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:46 PM
Keeper

Well my brand new Ulterra has the grinding prop upon trying to rotate it by hand. Thanks to you guys I checked before mounting to the boat. Well that would not have worked as the high dollar mounting bracket did not work either. It looks like the locking lug on the bottom of the motor plate is misplaced by about 1/4 " so the lock cannot be locked. I am beginning to think the bean counters have control at Johnson Controls, just like what happened at Remington. Quality be ****ed just get it out the door. My old gen 1 Terrova worked just fine and like a fool I let it go with the 1775. Not a happy camper, going to repair center in the AM. I called the guy there and he was very good about it and said the prop should rotate freely.. I think this may be a lot more common than we realize. Just my rant.
Have a great day.
JIM
Old 03-20-2017, 02:57 PM
Wallhanger

Here is a video on how to adjust it. I wouldn't touch a new one though, it would go right back to where I bought it and demand an exchange.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbN8VdTL3J0
Old 03-22-2017, 05:42 AM
Keeper

It is a long way to GA and BBG Marine to return it. I took it to the service center and the they turned the prop a turn and said that is not right and they will get right on it. There is no way it is a simple adjustment of the end units. It felt like there was something loose in the motor. A loose magnet or brush or bad armature. Not very happy right now.
Have a great day.
JIM