Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
looking for a compatable boat - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Notices

Old 03-19-2017, 06:33 AM
Slot Fish

Default looking for a compatable boat

years ago, i owned a 1993 sylan pro select 17'. if you look at photos of this boat you notice it has a very deep, long front bow. this boat was an amazing big water, rough water rig. i fished lake michigan a lot with this boat and was never nervous in some really big waver for a 17' boat. i have not really seen any other boat with this shape of a bow. seems most of the boats i look at have a deep but round, blunt nose that sinks into a wave more than stays high in a wave. does anyone know of a boat that has even close to a hull like this? i do think the ranger 620vs is close.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2017, 07:13 AM
Charter Member

There was an earlier period of time when Sylvan and their parent company, Smokercraft, built some of their models with a noticeable somewhat extended front end. I had always thought they would be a good boat for rough water, even the shorter boats. At some time, they apparently stopped that type of construction, perhaps due to additional stress on the general frame of the boat? Perhaps a boat historian might be able to correctly answer this.

Bill
Old 03-19-2017, 10:10 AM
Charter Member

If you want one of the safer deeper big water boats, check out some of the offshore boats.

They are designed from the ground up to be safe while taking on big waves but still getting you home safe:

For example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qp_qLwY6gIM

Old 03-19-2017, 10:22 AM
Wallhanger

If you want a Aluminum Boat the AlumaCraft Competitor 205 is the Largest Bow in Walleye Boats at 85inches long and Super Wide, plus being a 20ft 6inch Boat its Killer In Rough Water.....Most of the 17s and 18s out there have a Large Cockpit and Small Bow.....the Competitor 205 is a Steal still for 2017, but I feel with all of the 205s that AlumaCraft has sold this year they will raise the Cost in 2018, Shhhh dont tell them I said that. Their anywhere from $45k-$70k depending on Motor Brand and Model and How many 12inch Graphs and Stuff you add, ha ha ha ha
Old 03-19-2017, 10:27 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MERCONLY View Post
If you want a Aluminum Boat the AlumaCraft Competitor 205 is the Largest Bow in Walleye Boats at 85inches long and Super Wide, plus being a 20ft 6inch Boat its Killer In Rough Water.....Most of the 17s and 18s out there have a Large Cockpit and Small Bow.....the Competitor 205 is a Steal still for 2017, but I feel with all of the 205s that AlumaCraft has sold this year they will raise the Cost in 2018, Shhhh dont tell them I said that. Their anywhere from $45k-$70k depending on Motor Brand and Model and How many 12inch Graphs and Stuff you add, ha ha ha ha
If I ever go back to Aluminum I will be looking to get the Alumacraft 205. After having the ZV18 with a dance floor for a casting deck I can't sacrifice the room up front.
Old 03-19-2017, 11:43 AM
Keeper

Hennepin marine has a used Sylvan that looks like it was used on the Great Lakes, nice boat.
Old 03-19-2017, 01:06 PM
Slot Fish

yea, that sea strike 18 would be a great big water boat. just needs some comforts and accessories like other multi species boats and wow, what a boat. i looked at smokercraft after i posted this and liked what i saw. i didnt realize they owned sylvan. makes sense now.