Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
'09 Stratos 385 xf prop questions - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-19-2017, 12:15 PM
usmarine1 usmarine1 is offline
Slot Fish
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Garretson, SD
Posts: 87
Thumbs up '09 Stratos 385 xf prop questions

I have this setup ​with a 200 optimax. I run top speed of around 48-49 but I've been reading guys with a 150 setup achieve the same speeds. Hole shot is pretty good. There is an aftermarket mercury guage that tells me I'm running around 4750-4800 RPMs which is about a 1000 low. The current prop is a SS tempest 21p 3 blade. I plan to head to my prop guy at some point but even with him there has been some trial and error in the past. I'm pretty sure a 20-19p would help but what about motor position? Is a jack plate really necessary manual or hydraulic? If I move to a different pitch would staying with the tempest be the best choice? I just find it hard to believe a 4s 150 is the equivalent of a 200 Opti on the same rig. I had read somewhere a guy had this same discussion but of course I can't find it now.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 03-21-2017, 04:42 PM
slim1755 slim1755 is offline
Minnow
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 73
Default

Something is wrong with your motor or prop unless you are loaded rediculously heavy. I have the same motor, hull and prop. I see 57+ at 5600 rpm with 2 people.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-23-2017, 08:37 AM
usmarine1 usmarine1 is offline
Slot Fish
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Garretson, SD
Posts: 87
Default

the motor isnt my concern yet, i don't think. What pitch prop do you run? Is it a similar boat? Right now between where the motor sits and the prop are my two main focuses for solving the problem. the boat has a full tank but thats it I don't even have gear in it yet.
Reply With Quote
 
  #4  
Old 03-23-2017, 10:04 AM
REW REW is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: .
Posts: 31,648
Default

us,
The 250 Optimax is a really strong motor. It is normally a "LOT" more powerful than the 150 4 stroke.

What elevation are you running your rig?

High elevations really kill the power of a normally aspirated engine.

Before doing much prop work, take your rig to a shop that has a marine dynamometer to verify the shaft HP of your boat.

You want to verify that you are getting 250hp at the prop shaft.

Once you have verified the power at the prop shaft - mount your engine in a hole that is as high as you can possibly run the motor and not have excessive prop venting or cavitation.

Then, you can try some different props.
But, as you know the motor height for a given prop may be different with a different prop.

But, yes, certainly the prop you are running now, or possibly a 20 or 19 pitch should be optimum.

Certainly, a 50-60 over the water speed is not unexpected from your rig.

In general with a clean hull, it would not be unusual to have the motor height set at a distance where the prop cavitation plate, with the motor in a vertical position would be 3 inches HIGHER than the bottom of the boat's hull. But, the correct height is determined by the boat's hull, prop design and manufacture, as well as the loading of the boat and throttle setting of the motor.

i.e. the nicest way to go with any boat and motor - especially those with higher hp, as you have is to have an electro mechanical jack plate on the rig. that way, you can tuck in the motor, drop the motor in height with the use of the jackplate.
Get the boat on plane, and then go back and forth between motor height and motor trim, until you are running your fastest over the water speed, at a given throttle setting and with the best motor height.

So, the motor height, the throttle setting, engine rpm, engine trim setting all interact at every boat speed to provide the most efficient boat operation.

For example, the motor height at a wide open throttle setting may be different than for a throttle setting for cruising speed. The motor trim position may also be different for a wide open throttle setting compared to a cruising throttle setting.



Be safe

Last edited by REW; 03-23-2017 at 10:10 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-23-2017, 10:15 AM
REW REW is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: .
Posts: 31,648
Default

I have posted this before, but you might give it a try.

Take every item out of your boat that you currently carry but is not needed to float and run your boat.

Use a scale to weigh all of the total items.

Then - before putting the items back into the boat - take your boat for a comparative run - just to see the light load boat performance compared to a heavy load performance.

Then, depending on how you feel - put all of the items back into the boat, or just some of them, if their need for you in the boat is somewhat extra.

Every now and then, folks end up carrying an extra thousand lbs in the boat all of the time, without the owner of the boat - really realizing that they are carrying this extra baggage.

Certainly - if you need an item in the boat - carry it.
But, if you don't really need an item in the boat - leave it out of the boat.
Maybe you want to have some items available at a camp, but don't necessarily need them in the boat. If that is the case, use the boat to transport the items to camp - but then remove the items from the boat before using the boat.

Be safe
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-23-2017, 01:05 PM
slim1755 slim1755 is offline
Minnow
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 73
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmarine1 View Post
the motor isnt my concern yet, i don't think. What pitch prop do you run? Is it a similar boat? Right now between where the motor sits and the prop are my two main focuses for solving the problem. the boat has a full tank but thats it I don't even have gear in it yet.
I also run a 21 pitch tempest. I have a 386xf. Identical hull. I can check where my motor is mounted when i get home. Grossly overweight with 5 fat guys and coolers, and gear, I still run over 50. Lightly loaded with that motor and prop, you should be seeing 8-9 mph more than what you are getting.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-23-2017, 01:08 PM
slim1755 slim1755 is offline
Minnow
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 73
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
I have posted this before, but you might give it a try.

Take every item out of your boat that you currently carry but is not needed to float and run your boat.

Use a scale to weigh all of the total items.

Then - before putting the items back into the boat - take your boat for a comparative run - just to see the light load boat performance compared to a heavy load performance.

Then, depending on how you feel - put all of the items back into the boat, or just some of them, if their need for you in the boat is somewhat extra.

Every now and then, folks end up carrying an extra thousand lbs in the boat all of the time, without the owner of the boat - really realizing that they are carrying this extra baggage.

Certainly - if you need an item in the boat - carry it.
But, if you don't really need an item in the boat - leave it out of the boat.
Maybe you want to have some items available at a camp, but don't necessarily need them in the boat. If that is the case, use the boat to transport the items to camp - but then remove the items from the boat before using the boat.

Be safe
He said he does not even have gear in it yet
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-23-2017, 08:26 PM
slim1755 slim1755 is offline
Minnow
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 73
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim1755 View Post
I also run a 21 pitch tempest. I have a 386xf. Identical hull. I can check where my motor is mounted when i get home. Grossly overweight with 5 fat guys and coolers, and gear, I still run over 50. Lightly loaded with that motor and prop, you should be seeing 8-9 mph more than what you are getting.
FYI my motor is mounted in the middle hole.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-25-2017, 03:55 PM
usmarine1 usmarine1 is offline
Slot Fish
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Garretson, SD
Posts: 87
Default

Slim 1755 thanks for getting back to me, I'll check the hole placement tonight. REW I am running nothing but a full tank (for now) and the essentials to be legal. I think I have read about your previous post quite some time ago. I do need to spend some more time on the water to be sure and tomorrow will be the day. I was hoping not to hear what slim had to say lol but hey I'll see what happens tomorrow. The SS prop has a few nic's in it but I can't see that making any legitimate issue. I have a 200 Opti and I've personally seen and have heard from a reliable source the pains of an Opti not working correctly and a dealership not knowing why time and again. The hull is solid I inspected the underneath myself not a scratch in the paint. I run in SD so elevation is not an issue. Could be year old untreated gas or bad spark plugs as well which I will replace after I get back from the lake tomorrow. I'm not sure if any dealers in my area have the equipment to check how at the prop but I'd love to know. The things I'm trying to wrap my head around is where are my other 1000 RPMs? The motor doesn't sound bogged down or anything but towards the end of my last runs a couple weeks ago I did notice it slightly cut in and out at wot. Nothing to hinder performance so to speak but enough it was surely noticable.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-25-2017, 05:06 PM
usmarine1 usmarine1 is offline
Slot Fish
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Garretson, SD
Posts: 87
Default

It's mounted in the second hole from the top...Well geez I wonder how much that'll cost to move up another hole.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.