Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
running motor before oil change - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Notices

Old 03-20-2017, 03:26 PM
Wallhanger

hot oil just drains better than cold oil. even in my mercruiser I need to get the oil hot so I can pump the oil out. and pumping the oil out through the dip stick tube you never get all the oil out. but with a outboard hot oil is thinner than cold oil and let it drain over night and most of the oil will be drained.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2017, 03:34 PM
Wallhanger

I think you should have the best of both worlds IMO. Start it, let it run for 10-15 minutes, then immediately pull the plug and let it drain for 24 hours. Be sure to raise and lower the motor a few times to get all the oil to the bottom so it can drain.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:30 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin23 View Post
I think you should have the best of both worlds IMO. Start it, let it run for 10-15 minutes, then immediately pull the plug and let it drain for 24 hours. Be sure to raise and lower the motor a few times to get all the oil to the bottom so it can drain.
X2 (although not sure really need to run it that long, they get warm quick)
but just to add,, leave the filter on during this drain time. By allowing it to drain that long, the benefit is the filter will drain down quite a bit too, which will then be less messy when you remove it.