Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Yarcraft 209 for Great Lakes salmon fishing - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Notices

Old 03-19-2017, 08:00 PM
Minnow

Default Yarcraft 209 for Great Lakes salmon fishing

First time post. Would appreciate anyone's opinion if the YC 209 would be a good selection for salmon fishing. I have no doubt that basscat makes a good product, but I think the deck area is way overdue for a refresh when comparing it to some of the Ranger or Nitro. Thanks for any input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2017, 10:00 PM
Wallhanger

For big water trolling I thought That the 209s cockpit space is to small. Start putting downriggers and rod holders on it will fill up quickly. I think the 186 has more cockpit space. The bow does seem to come up nicely compared to allot of fiberglass boats. Others seem to design a slant down in the bow. Not the best for hitting a big wave. Have you looked at the Skeeter wx2060. I think the cockpit is somewhat bigger. Also can get them with tracks installed. For Great Lakes trolling i really like the boats that have flip up back deck seats. I almost never put my back seats in. If I have a third person fishing they will sit in the flip up seat on the way out. After that they will go up to bow. As long as it is fairly calm.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:43 AM
Wallhanger

I would ask a Dealer for a Demo Ride, then you'll see why Yar Craft owners are so loyal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 03-20-2017, 08:20 AM
Charter Member

Swim,
I believe that you would really enjoy the boat that you mention on the water when fishing.

On some boats, the windshield is moved back somewhat - which results in a bit smaller cockpit, and a bigger bow area.

But, the good news about that is that any time that the boats seating is moved aft, the overall ride of everyone in the boat gets better.

Remember, when you look at a boat when it is running in waves, the bow is bouncing up and down as it encounters waves, and reacts to the waves.

However, the transom of the boat essentially just tips back and forth as it follows the action of the bouncing bow.

So, although, you may find that a smaller cockpit area is a touch tight on some boats- you will find that the ride is better and better for folks that ride closer and closer to the transom of any boat.

The Yarcraft is one of the nicest and smoothest running boats on the water. With its deeper bow, it is also one of the driest boat and tends to spear waves less than other boats which have a more shallow or sloping down bow.

Good luck
Old 03-20-2017, 08:43 AM
Wallhanger

Can't speak on the 209 specifically, but have been on the great lakes quite a few times in my buddies 219. I own a skeeter 2100 and a 23' cuddy cabin for lake MI. Believe it or not the 219 is a better riding boat than both of mine and the re-entry after hitting a wave is smoother. I have not looked at the cockpit between the 209 and the 219, but the 219 is plenty big enough for 3 guys running a full spread and have room to not hit each other.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:00 AM
Minnow

REW, would you prefer to see the storage areas changed up and refreshed? It seems like the compartments within the gunnels are kind of worthless in comparison to the Ranger/Nitro side compartments. Or having built in transom rear seats next to the livewell? Or a track system for mounting downriggers and christmas tree holders?
Old 03-21-2017, 09:22 AM
Minnow

I recently looked at a 209 at a dealer and the 'dance floor' for trolling seemed awfully small compared to my old alumacraft 195 and also compared to a 620/621. fwiw.