Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Lets Go Black Hawks!!! - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Notices

Old 03-19-2017, 08:31 PM
Wallhanger

Default Lets Go Black Hawks!!!

The devil is in the details...."The call on the ice is confirmed. We have a good goal." Even I was scratching my head when Toews rules onside on the Panik goal. But with a post game explanation it was the equivalent of an off side dump in where Toews then touches up before Panik puts his stick back on the puck to keep the play on side. First springs a small leak in the dike. Then bawooosh, here comes the flood. A 5 goal third period!!! Hawks trailed the division leaders by 9 points one month ago now lead the division by a lucky 7!!!!!!
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2017, 09:06 PM
Keeper

I don't completely understand the offside rule as the play looked offsides based on my understanding. I thought it was just related to puck positioning and the attacking players skates relative to the blue line. The touching of the stick was the new component of the rule, to me which I don't fully understand how they all relate and work together.

Anyway, that goal really broke Colorado's spirit as they seemed to throw in the towel after that giving up 3 goals in 34 seconds. Hawks are really rolling now keyed by strong goaltending. Ten games left and the hope is no further injuries and get Anisimov and Hossa back for the playoffs. If that is the case Hawks will be in a good position to make a run thru the Western Conference.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:34 PM
Wallhanger

My son and I were at the game tonight. The people sitting in front of us left at the 10 minute mark of the third.

Duh!

Old 03-20-2017, 06:20 AM
Wallhanger

Sad to see how far the Av's have fallen in recent years...
BUT, having been BORN and RAISED in CHICAGO...
I can still root for the Hawks !!
HDS 8 Gen 1
Old 03-20-2017, 11:17 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyguns View Post
I don't completely understand the offside rule as the play looked offsides based on my understanding. I thought it was just related to puck positioning and the attacking players skates relative to the blue line. The touching of the stick was the new component of the rule, to me which I don't fully understand how they all relate and work together.

Anyway, that goal really broke Colorado's spirit as they seemed to throw in the towel after that giving up 3 goals in 34 seconds. Hawks are really rolling now keyed by strong goaltending. Ten games left and the hope is no further injuries and get Anisimov and Hossa back for the playoffs. If that is the case Hawks will be in a good position to make a run thru the Western Conference.
Seems these replay officials have a real problem with Off Side calls. Same thing happened in the Feb 8 Hawks/Wild game when they allowed an offside play Wild goal. Almost the same exact situation, ruling it a good goal. But the difference was that time they called "inconclusive" even though stick to puck contact,,possession was OBVIOUS !

So now I'm really confused. Or maybe it's not us?? ..., maybe it's the officials? Are these guys really as bad as NCAA Basketball officials? (Northwestern/Gonzaga)

Glad the Hawks lucked out on the call, these things happen, but really don't think anyone has any illusions it was a good goal. But at 6-3 it was a good win. Colorado has not been able to play 3 periods of good hockey.

Hawks/Avs
https://www.nhl.com/news/blackhawks-...?tid=277729160

Hawks/ Wild
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQwBMK7UFgk

Then there was this one last year between the Wild/ Blues: Did he really maintain possession going into the zone? This one is a more perfect example of a truly "inconclusive" call.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Hzm1fdGgU8
Old 03-20-2017, 12:58 PM
Wallhanger

If they are going to keep this offsides challenge then let Toronto make the call not the on ice officials trying to cover there asses. If inconclusive call on the ice stands. Or they need more camera's. What I don't like is the play can keep going a long time before the challenge.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:30 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriksat1 View Post
What I don't like is the play can keep going a long time before the challenge.
Not quite sure what you mean??

They are only allowed to challenge if that play results in a goal. Play would have stopped. Also they can only challenge prior to resumption of play, and only IF they have any time outs remaining. If the challenge fails they lose a timeout. No one would otherwise challenge ,or by the rules COULD challenge a simple miss of an off side,other than if results in a goal.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:46 PM
Wallhanger

The hawks did not get a lucky break. The official ruling from Toronto was Panik pursued the puck over the line, he was not playing the puck. Therefore Toews did have to clear the line again anyway.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:18 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyIL View Post
The hawks did not get a lucky break. The official ruling from Toronto was Panik pursued the puck over the line, he was not playing the puck. Therefore Toews did have to clear the line again anyway.
Exactly. As I said, delayed off side waived upon Toews touching up prior to Panik getting the puck back on his stick.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:31 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyIL View Post
Actually not the case.

As to the ruling on the challenge itself,,The official Toronto ruling was in fact that the review could NOT DETERMINE whether or not Toews had tagged up,( implying that he would have been required to). So they could not overturn the original ruling made on the ice at that moment. They did not confirm either way, whether the play was actually ON or OFF side.

Per their language from NHL situation room:

Quote:
Review was not conclusive in determining whether Toews tagged up at the instant the puck was on Richard Panik's stick when Chicago entered the attacking zone prior to the goal. According to Rule 78.7, "If a review is not conclusive and/or there is any doubt whatsoever as to whether the call on the ice was correct, the On-Ice Official(s) will be instructed to confirm their original call."
Therefore the original call stands - good goal Chicago Blackhawks.

Last edited by MarkG; 03-21-2017 at 11:01 AM.