Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Bobber stops? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Notices

Old 03-20-2017, 01:03 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balzy View Post
When I purchased bobber stops quite a few years ago the stops never moved when you reeled in a fish and now they slip all the time. It seems the material they used back then worked a lot better compaired to what their using today. Does anyone know why they changed and what the old material was made of?
Yeah there are two kinds out there. Thill, and all the rest. Get the thill.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2017, 01:53 PM
cutting edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
Balzy,
What type fishing line are you using the bobber stops on?

If you are using braid - good luck using bobber stops. Tough to not have bobber stops slide on braided line.

If using mono, should not be a problem.

I have tied my own bobber stops for years. I use fly line and have 0 issues with the bobber stops sliding. I stop over to the local convenience store and pick up a handful of coffee stir sticks with the permission of the convenience store owner and use the stir sticks as a typing stick to tie up the bobber stop knots. Easy to tie up 50 or 100 stops over the course of a TV show.

https://www.amazon.com/SF-Braided-Fi...35AQVJF63YZGXA

Then, I just bag the bobber stops up in plastic bags with a reasonable number of stops in each bag.

Bobber stops are really nothing more than a nail knot that is tied on a tube.

Good luck
This^^^^^

Also, as REW said, I use the smallest bead with as small a hole (if you trim your bobber stop too close to the knot, some beads will slip over stop knot). I use to trim my knots real close, but now I leave a little tag for tightening knot if it starts to slip (I never have the tag ends interfere with line management on the spool). I only use mono to bobber fish. Thill Pro Series bobber w/metal grommet (the wide, metal grommet hole allows the bobber to slide w/no friction on the line which helps eliminate line twist issues down the road IMO).
Old 03-20-2017, 03:45 PM
Charter Member

I leave about 1/4" of tag on the ends and use these to re-tighten the knot if it eventually slips inadvertently. I rarely have a slip problem, even on braid. I like to use a bead with as large a hole as can be used without the knot going through it. I feel this allows the bait to more easily reach the depth expected, especially when using smaller weights. I also dislike bobbers with tiny holes, for the same reason.

Isn't it funny how the use of a wide range of almost opposing techniques works great for different folks?

Bill

Old 03-20-2017, 03:53 PM
Wallhanger

I also suggest the largest hole dia bead you can use, will slide much easier. The small hole ones will be stuck at any kink or piece of debris that touches your line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-20-2017, 04:40 PM
cutting edge

I will clarify. When I select beads, I prefer the smallest dia hole (that still allows plenty of room for line to glide easily), exactly why I prefer the bobbers I use (can't stand the foam bobbers w/black plastic cap with the tiny hole). Also, many of the pre tied bobber stops available to buy, have different dia material (some pretty thin) that some beads slide through (have seen it happen to many people). I match my parts accordingly.