Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Help Picking a New Rod - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Notices

Old 03-20-2017, 10:55 AM
Minnow

Default Help Picking a New Rod

I am looking to add a new rod to my walleye collection, I currently have the following rods. Two G Loomis wjr751s and a wpjr 822s, two St. Croix rods a ltbs610mxf and a avid 68mxf. I do have one cheaper slip bobber rod as well. I was thinking of adding a St. Croix lx63mxf for the heavier jigs. Needing some help here on what rod I should pick up next. I am located in Madison,WI and fish multiple types of water mostly from a boat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2017, 11:35 AM
Minnow

Is this rod going to be primarily for heavier vertical jigging? Make sure to take a look too at the new elites, I think hands down one of the better rods on the market.

I have some NRX's and while they are nice, they are way over priced. Let me know what you end up with! I would imagine the St Croix Extreme line should be in for a make over here soon.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:39 AM
Minnow

Yes mostly for vertical jigging or drifting dragging a jig. I think the long rods I have will cover the casting and pitching jigs. I also was thinking about a rod for casting crankbaits.

Old 03-20-2017, 06:53 PM
Wallhanger

If you are going for vertical gigging then pick a model with super fast tip and less than 6 foot. Loomis is preferred. We do not have one St. CRoux in our inventory. Use mono as well.
Old 03-21-2017, 03:11 PM
Slot Fish

It's all what you like there's no right or wrong for me I've weeded out most of my rods shorter that 6'8" I use the rod your thinking about the legend xtreme but I use lxs7mf for jigs over 3/8oz I was using a 6mf don't see any disadvantages of the 7' but it does help with the bigger fish. Ive used most rods st Croix elites xtreme tournament's avid's. G-Loomis pretty much all series. Love the g-Loomis nrx 901 for jigging 1/8oz jigs and St Croix legend xtreme 6'10"mlxf. For the money I would buy something in the St Croix avid or g-Loomis gl3. Cheaper but good for the $$ Fenwick walleye tech elite is also good.