Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Using plastics? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Notices

Old 03-20-2017, 02:10 PM
Wallhanger

Default Using plastics?

What are some good plastics to use for walleye fishing. I'm not real fond of using live bait. I had some success last year using the Kalins Jerk Shad, but beyond that I'm not sure what to try. I have heard some talk about a Ring worm, but I'm not sure on colors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2017, 03:18 PM
Wallhanger

The preferred colors really vary from body of water to body of water but white and chartreuse are usually a good place to start where I fish.

There are so many good plastics on the market right now that it can be hard to decide what to get, but here are some companies that make some really great plastics with walleyes in mind:

Kalin's - I like both the Sizmic Shad and the Sizmic Grubs
Berkley - Power Bait Ripple Shads and Gulp Grubs
Strike King - Shad a Licious
B-Fish-N-Tackle - AuthentX Pulse-Rs and Moxis
Keithech - Swing Impact
Big Bite Baits - Swimming Jerk Minnow
Northland Tackle - Mimic Minnows (paddle tails)
Cabela's - Many assorted plastics

I generally use plastics in the 3 1/2 to 4 inch range, but that can vary depending where and when I'm fishing. I may buy longer tails and in many instances, take a scissors and cut them shorter if I think they're too long. Another thing I almost always do is super glue my tails to my jigs.

A new one on the market this year that is fairly pricey but promising, is the Storm 360 GT. This one is somewhat different than the others because the only way to buy it is with one head and three tails and the head is a combination of lead and plastic with an internal rattle. I haven't read any reviews on this one for walleyes but I'm anxious to give them a try.

I'm just scratching the surface and I'm not saying one brand is better than the other, but those are just some of the plastics that I have in my plastics box.

Last edited by KPKyllo; 03-20-2017 at 03:26 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:23 PM
Keeper

Don't dismiss the good old Mr. Twister curly tail grub. I have caught more walleyes on that than any other soft plastic, mostly because I use it most. 3 & 4" Gulp Alive minnows work for me some days, too.

Old 03-20-2017, 03:45 PM
Wallhanger

Moxis. Oystershell, purple with white tail, white ice, and black with white tail.

Blacks and purples on cloudy days, oystershell and white ice on sunny days.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:58 PM
Wallhanger

I'll add that many of your bass plastics will work: grubs, minnows, tubes, even finesse worms. Rule of thumb for color is similar to bass, too. More natural in clear water and brighter in stained but white seems to work everywhere. Silver or smoke are good in clear water; chartreuse, yellow and orange in stained; pink is underrated, so is purple in visibility to 8' or so; black and dark brown have their moments. You probably have some of these colors already.Look into what the prey fish are and imitate their shape and size and most especially location. Walleye move a ton looking for food, much more day to day than bass but they will also move over the same spots day after day if the food is there. I usually swim plastics, either occasionally touching bottom or maintaining a certain distance from the bottom. If the fish are really on the feed you can practically rip the jig across the bottom and they'll crush it.
Old 03-20-2017, 05:39 PM
cutting edge

I have done well with Gulp and Impulse crawlers on harnesses. Many of the soft baits mentioned above are very good choices, and don't forget tube baits (at the right time and place, they can be deadly). With the boot tails, don't be afraid to go large 5"-6" (use 1/2 -1 oz bullet jig to get proper action with larger swimbaits), many anglers are afraid to go big, BIG mistake! There are far too many brands and models (many mentioned above, many not), but soft baits have become a significant tool in my arsenal for walleyes (and other species). You have to be patient & gain confidence (as with any new technique) & results will follow. Most of the time I'm swimming my baits (not always) as it gives the best action, sometimes I drag , sometimes I hop, the AuthentX Moxi & Puls-r have great action moving slow.

Good Luck!
Old 03-20-2017, 06:33 PM
Minnow

I most often fish tubes and "thumper tail" swimbait style baits. I usually fish the tubes erratically. I usually have the best luck swimming the paddle tails along steadily with periodic stalls. It is important to find the right weight and bait combo. Too little weight and they wont swim as they fall on a tight line. Too much weight and they lose that side to side roll. If you want to fish a paddletail deeper or faster than the ideal weight allows....use a bell sinker, cross lock snap and a straight shank worm hook to make a "jig rig" deal. A smaller 3" bait will still have good action with a 3/4 ounce or more weight yet you can swim it along at a good pace in deeper water. Also, almost all the thumpertails will perform better after boiling and stretching the tails a bit to make sure they're straight.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:33 PM
Wallhanger

Over the years I've tried just about all forms of plastics out there. Mostly they come in grubs, skirts, worms, minnows and lizards. There are many variations of these type, too many to count. I like the standard Mr. Twister, paddle tail minnows and lizards. White, silver, black, green and chartreuse have been good colors for me. The best luck I have with plastics is when the walleyes are stacked up and in an aggressive mood.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:45 PM
Keeper

Where are you fishing? Lake or a river? You would probably laugh at what's been the hottest bait on the Detroit river for 20+ years.. a simple 4" brown rubber worm on a jig, I'd guess it's accounted for millions of fish.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:27 PM
Minnow

I really like and have had a lot of success with Berkley ripple shads, pro shads, shakey shad, and twitch tail minnows. If I'm wanting to use plastics on rigs I have had a lot of success with gulp killer crawlers and the pumpkinseed 3-4" crawlers or the 6" on a harness.