Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Using plastics? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Notices

Old 03-20-2017, 09:29 PM
Slot Fish

We have had good luck on power bait ring worms and flukes. Zoom makes some great soft plastics. I carry a ton of plastic and work my way through styles and colors. Last year plastic didn't produce the numbers live bait did but did catch bigger fish on average. The biggest thing with them is building confidence and don't give up when your buddy puts one or two in the boat on minnows.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2017, 04:35 AM
Keeper

very very rarely do i use live bait, generally if i have a jig tied on it has a plastic on it. most of my jig fishing is with a 3" mister twister meeny tail, 3" northland impulse grub (i liked the old slurpies better) a 3" senko style bait (barlows salty rat tail mostly, but some yum dingers, gander mountain, and yamamoto), or one of the zman trd baits (trd worm, trd tube). zoom flukes (both the regular fluke and super fluke jr) work well too, as do the other similar bairs (power minnows, kalins jerk shad, lunker city fin-s fish. swimbaits from time to time, but the only one i have had luck on is the strike king shadalicious.

color is an experiment every time out, start with something and change if needed.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:18 AM
Keeper

Default Follow-Up

Greetings,

The many responses above demonstrate the wide variety of soft plastics in terms of brand, styles, sizes and colors. There are many choices out there.

There is considerable wisdom in Kzoofisher's response. He commented than when the artificial bite is on, just keep it moving somewhere near the strike zone and you will likely get bit.

I have consistently found that soft plastics (including GULP products) work very well when I am presenting them horizontally - cast them out and retrieve to the boat. I view horizontal presentations as provoking reaction bites. The fish see it and are forced to commit or let it go by - right now! In such situations, most anything going by them could get bit as the fish doesn't have the luxury of time to decide to eat or let it swim. Thus, a basic selection of styles and colors will get the job done under many situations. This is where Kzoofisher's thoughts come into play for me in terms of color recommendations.

I most often fish in August and September. The walleye bite is clearly vertical (i.e. vertical jigging), rather than horizontal, in the lakes that I routinely fish. This is the time of the year when live bait comes on very strong for me and the soft plastics are kept in the boat for backup. The walleyes just have too much time available for them to study my bait, such that they can differentiate between a minnow versus soft plastic. Live bait simply rules for me in the vertical (finesse) bite.

If the above scenarios (horizontal versus vertical presentations) work for you when and where you fish, the choice of soft plastics becomes much simpler. I appreciate the original post as the choice of brand, style, color and size of soft plastics is bewildering.

Good fishing and tight lines!!

Old 03-21-2017, 06:36 AM
Keeper

I started using Gulp on my crawler harnesses last year instead of live. More durable and I didn't notice a change in catch rate.

I picked up some of the Storm 360GT baits on the weekend. They look promising!

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...8487c758e3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Minn Kota Terrova 80# 24V iPilot Link
Humminbird Helix 9
Old 03-21-2017, 08:32 AM
Wallhanger

I haven't spent any time fishing swimbaits vertically myself, but here's a link to an article by Gord Pyzer about vertically fishing swimbaits that I find interesting:

http://www.in-fisherman.com/walleye/...eye-swimbaits/

I'm going to take the time and experiment with fishing them vertically this year.
Old 03-21-2017, 02:48 PM
Wallhanger

One of my major factors for plastics is time of year many plastics that work during the summer get to hard and stiff for cold water use. The BFishin brand plastics work very well in cold water environments.
Old 03-21-2017, 03:40 PM
Wallhanger

Thanks guy's, that is a ton of information to consume. I would really like to get better at catching walleye's on plastics. I fish lake Winnebago mostly, but I have been using crawlers on a jig, or trolling Flicker Shads. I do catch some fish, but I am no where close to where I would like to be in proficiency.

When I was a young man I fished the UP for walleye and did quite well. We trolled Heddon Fat Fish while rowing. Trolling motors and locators weren't even invented yet. ****, that was a half a century before Al Gore invented the internet.

Then I got interested in bass fishing and tournament fished for years. I have lost interest in that and would really like to learn how to walleye fish using today's methods.

I did do pretty good last year using Kalins Jerk Shads, but that was on rivers. I did buy some of the new Storm GT360 baits, but right now the selection is very limited. Even the Lindy Live Bait jigs are in limited supply. I just realized that almost all of the jigs that I bought so far are meant for use with a plastic trailer.

I have tons of plastics in boxes that may work, but they are not the latest and greatest. I did try the Uncle Josh crawlers without any success. I like to cast rather than troll, so I am going to try to work on that this year.

Thank all of you for your responses.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:59 PM
Wallhanger

I love white and pearl Zoom Flukes.

Lord know how many hundreds of walleyes I have caught on them. Definitely my go-to, because they just plain work.

There are some days when the fish want something else, but if I'm jigging plastics a white/pearl fluke is on 80% of the time (and working). I also play with different sizes. Some days they like the standard, others the Jr's.

"When told 'you stink like fish'.......smile and take it as a compliment"

2005 Pro-Line 24' walkaround 250 Verado
1998 Lund 1600 Pro Sport 60hp Johnson
2012 Lund 186 Tyee 175 Verado (sold)
2002 Warrior V177 Pro Tiller 125 Merc (sold)
1998 Warrior V177 75hp Merc (sold)
2015 Ram 1500 Eco-Diesel

Last edited by B-man; 03-21-2017 at 07:10 PM.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:05 PM
Wallhanger

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170321_200254.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	505.2 KB
ID:	249410  

"When told 'you stink like fish'.......smile and take it as a compliment"

2005 Pro-Line 24' walkaround 250 Verado
1998 Lund 1600 Pro Sport 60hp Johnson
2012 Lund 186 Tyee 175 Verado (sold)
2002 Warrior V177 Pro Tiller 125 Merc (sold)
1998 Warrior V177 75hp Merc (sold)
2015 Ram 1500 Eco-Diesel
Old 03-21-2017, 10:44 PM
cutting edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-man View Post
I love white and pearl Zoom Flukes.

Lord know how many hundreds of walleyes I have caught on them. Definitely my go-to, because they just plain work.

There are some days when the fish want something else, but if I'm jigging plastics a white/pearl fluke is on 80% of the time (and working). I also play with different sizes. Some days they like the standard, others the Jr's.
Yeah, the white pearl & white ice super fluke jr are definitely a killer bait, no doubt about it.