Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Thu the hull help - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Notices

Old 03-20-2017, 09:03 PM
Keeper

Default Thu the hull help

I have a 2014 Ranger Reata. I also have a Lowrance Elite 7 that will not read while I am traveling over ~10-15 mph, and I have moved the transducer numerous times. Enough to where I am finished trying. Never have like the Elite 7 anyway, but that is another story.

I noticed the boat has a factory installed through the hull transducer already mounted, and after researching, it appears it is for a Lowrance Elite 3X or 4X style unit.

My questions are will this type of transducer work with any other type of unit on its own or with a pigtail adapter?

Would this unit be adequate for maintaining a reading while traveling at 46-47 MPH? (Max speed on my boat)

What would be a better option if this is not a good option?

If this will work, it would be the easiest fix and I will only use to read while cruising while still using my other electronics to fish with. I can pick up a 3X for around $100
Thanks in advance for any help.
Lowrance Elite 7 & 7X
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2017, 06:26 AM
Slot Fish

I'm pretty sure that transducer will work with the unit you have. Plug it in and see what happens. It should give you, at the very least, 2D sonar from the ducer.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:52 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by pud123 View Post
I'm pretty sure that transducer will work with the unit you have. Plug it in and see what happens. It should give you, at the very least, 2D sonar from the ducer.
The plug on the hull mounted transducer is smaller than the one on my 7X, is there an adapter/pigtail allowing for both to work at the same time? I will lose my down imaging I am told with a through the hull transducer?
Lowrance Elite 7 & 7X

Old 03-21-2017, 08:43 AM
Slot Fish

That's odd. I would think a prerigged hull would have the transducer you need for the Elite. Those units will hook up to some much older transducers and still work. You may lose down imaging capabilities but still have 2D options.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:15 AM
Keeper

I just talked to Lowrance technical support. This six pin transducer will only fit the hook 3X or the elite 3X. I can however buy an adapter which will allow sonar to work in other units. If anybody needs it, it is the Lowrance adapter number 10052001

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lowrance Elite 7 & 7X
Old 03-21-2017, 09:58 AM
Minnow

I was in the same situation as you. My 2016 Reata was equipped with the same old style transducer. Lawrence told me that you can use that adapter you mentioned but also said they thought the quality would not be as good as it would be if I just purchased the new transducer with the blue collar. I ended up deferring buying all new electronics since I moved stuff off my old boat. I picked up a Hook 3x for $80. Plugged it in to the transducer and it works perfect for reading bottom at up to 46 mph. It is a small screen for sure. But it is basically there for me just to know bottom depth right now. When I run under about 20 mph I do pick up and am able to recognize fish.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:55 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverduck11 View Post
I was in the same situation as you. My 2016 Reata was equipped with the same old style transducer. Lawrence told me that you can use that adapter you mentioned but also said they thought the quality would not be as good as it would be if I just purchased the new transducer with the blue collar. I ended up deferring buying all new electronics since I moved stuff off my old boat. I picked up a Hook 3x for $80. Plugged it in to the transducer and it works perfect for reading bottom at up to 46 mph. It is a small screen for sure. But it is basically there for me just to know bottom depth right now. When I run under about 20 mph I do pick up and am able to recognize fish.

Let me know if you have any questions.

So if I am understanding correctly you used the transducer that was in your boats hull with the original cable.... no adapter? I'm either going to do that, or buy the adapter and maybe get a 5X. Obviously the cheaper route will be to use the cable thats there and a 3X. Just want to be sure I'm understanding correctly because if that's what you did, all I really want it for is to keep track of the bottom while I'm motoring. Thx for the reply.

Lowrance Elite 7 & 7X
Old 03-21-2017, 11:14 AM
Minnow

You are correct. I used the black connection with no adapter. Reads bottom great. Just a small screen. By doing that, you do not loose your DI on your 7.

I just wanted to track bottom and know depth. This works great.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:13 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverduck11 View Post
You are correct. I used the black connection with no adapter. Reads bottom great. Just a small screen. By doing that, you do not loose your DI on your 7.

I just wanted to track bottom and know depth. This works great.

Thank you for clarifying. I think the best thing is to do exactly what you did. Thanks a lot for taking the time to let me know, I appreciate it.

Lowrance Elite 7 & 7X
Old 03-27-2017, 09:08 PM
Keeper

Hooked up a Lowrance HOOK 3, worked perfectly wide-open even on rough water. Thanks for the tip.

Lowrance Elite 7 & 7X