Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
2005 225 Bombadier - won't start! - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 06-20-2011, 11:47 AM
Minnow

Default 2005 225 Bombadier - won't start!

The last 2 times I've been on the water, about the 3rd or 4th time I've shut off trolling motor and fired up 225 the 225 won't start. Turns over but acts like it's flooded, not getting fuel or no spark. After trolling again for 35-45 minutes I try again and it fires right up. Have changed the plugs between the last two trips - same thing happens. It's been in the shop but the computer doesn't pick anything up. Any suggestions?? Thanks!
Old 06-20-2011, 05:05 PM
Wallhanger

The most common situation like that is a lack of voltage to the starter and engine computer while trying to start it. IF you hook up a digital voltmeter to the starter post and an engine block ground, then try the starter, you willoften find less than 10 volts. The engine computer will not boot up or will turn off if the voltage gets around 9.6 volts.
Old 06-22-2011, 06:35 AM
Minnow

Thanks seahorse. I got the same answer from an Evinrude tech, without the explaination of how to check it. Not sure why it would start 3 times in a row, then not start, then 45 minutes later it would start. Might try to hook up a jumper from one of the trolling motors to the cranking motor to give it more juice as a back up
when I'm on the water. Or, maybe get a group 31 battery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2011, 06:43 AM
Wallhanger

Before you try to start it, just turning the key to ON, do you hear the electric fuel pump run for about 5 seconds? If not, there may be an internal EMM problem.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:16 PM
Minnow

I'll check that next time I get out. I had it in the shop and on the computer. The tech said if it was low voltage it would show up on the computer report. It did not. He couldn't find anything wrong. I'll listen for the fuel pump. Thanks for your help.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:16 PM
Wallhanger

Low cranking voltage does not show up on the computer report. This engine is not the Starship Enterprise, the computer only monitors certain electrical sensors and records things like rpm, time, error codes, and profiles of rpm usage, etc.