Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Buying a new vehicle UGH - Page 4 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Notices

Old 04-21-2017, 06:44 PM
Wallhanger

I decide what I want (define my wants and needs, then research, research, research), use the internet to figure out what the going price is, use competing dealers to beat each other up on price and/or get them to sweeten the deal*.

Never, ever, fall in love with one specific car. None of them are special, none of them are unique.

Last time around I had some goober at a dealer in Waukesha tell me Ford Escapes were "...hard to find...". I was on my computer at the time, ran a search on CarSoup...told him 5 seconds later there were more than 230 within a 90 minute drive of my house. Cars.(outside of classics and collectables) are a commodity...don't let any smooth talking goon talk you into beliveing they are "...an investment..." Investments don't loose 30% when you drive them off the lot...

They do this every day, we do it every few years. They will lie to you, bend facts and distort facts about competing vehicles and dealers. I never feel bad about putting the screws to a dealer on dollars out of my pocket...a multi-million dollar dealership can afford to give a little on a negotiation more than I can. It all depends on how bad they want to mover the vehicle.

All that sounds like I hate car dealers...I don't. I'd highly recommend any of the last few I've bought from...because they didn't BS me, didn't waste my time and we managed to settle on an equitable deal pretty quickly.

They need to make money, I need to buy as inexpensively as possible. Sharp sellers realize that and move to get the work done quickly without the song and dance culturally associated with this process...don't let them do it to you...

*I once had two dealers with virtually identical cars, same price. Asked both, "What are you willing to do?". One volunteered to drive the car from Madison WI to Chippewa Falls to deliver it. They got the sale...

Last edited by Further North; 04-22-2017 at 08:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2017, 05:35 AM
Wallhanger

I dislike dealing with dealers for any type of business. Depends on my mood of the day, sometimes it is field exercise in stupidity and others which raises my anxiety.

Wihin last week, I had an issue with my highlander . Hatch glass was opening when rained. I did the research and found out that switch needs to be replaced. I had no time and "learn" how to get to it myself. It was one hour labour so I decided to eat the cost. The dealer pushed me really hard to have additional "diagnosis" done that the switch is a problem - for another $100+. After I told him I am walking unless they replace what I want and nothing else, he finally agreed. Few hours later later, they call me and say that my breaks feel soft. For another $68 they can tell me for sure if my breaks need to be replaced. I told him that I can check my own breaks in 10 min at no cost.
Seems to me that it would be good business decision to just say: we looked at your breaks and you
really need new ones. Likely I would agree. The $50 one way or the other will not kill me.

So when is time to buy a new car and usually local is where I give first shot, I laugh at their face when they tell me how great the service is and how "well" I am going to be treated.
Old 04-22-2017, 06:36 AM
Minnow

Always shop around!!! I get gm discount so am fortunate not to have to nagotiate but no one thing....stay away from zimbrick in Madison,Wi!!! They will do anything to screw ya blind!! There are plenty of dealers around that want to EARN your business! Good luck

Old 04-22-2017, 06:41 AM
Wallhanger

Thankfully I have a good friend who owns dealerships. What a blessing. I quit shopping around after the second vehicle from him. Always around $2,000 cheaper than anywhere else.

If you're a Costco member, they do a good job of getting competitive pricing. Not all dealerships like to work with them though.
Old 04-22-2017, 08:19 AM
Keeper

I haven't read the thread, but Costco and many credit unions offer car buying services where they find the best price and do the negotiation. For the credit union sales, on the day of sale, the dealer will bring the car to the credit union branch, the paperwork will be signed, and you drive off. It doesn't get any easier than that.

I've thought about doing that whenever I get around to buying a new truck, but with all the different options and packages for trucks, I think it would be hard to know in advance the exact configuration I want just browsing on the internet.
Old 04-22-2017, 12:11 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenswake View Post
I haven't read the thread, but Costco and many credit unions offer car buying services where they find the best price and do the negotiation. For the credit union sales, on the day of sale, the dealer will bring the car to the credit union branch, the paperwork will be signed, and you drive off. It doesn't get any easier than that.

I've thought about doing that whenever I get around to buying a new truck, but with all the different options and packages for trucks, I think it would be hard to know in advance the exact configuration I want just browsing on the internet.
I tried Costco recently. All it did was send notice to local dealers that I was looking for a certain car. Then a link was provided thru a local dealer site that allowed me to print off a certificate that I was a Costco member and that I should get the Costco rate. That price rate is the mid point for the NADA values. The dealership told me I can get a better rate just using their internet pricing.
Lowrance Gen2 Touch 9 with network to the trolling motor
Old 04-22-2017, 12:15 PM
miltimore

What I don't understand is why people make it such a process in the first place. I don't understand the original posters "bad taste". Sounds like the dealer came down $2000 and the factory rebate gave him another $1200 off. That's $3200 off the retail price? Why would that leave a "bad taste" in your mouth? Most people know the price of the car before they go look at it. Why do they expect the dealer to just drop several thousand dollars off of it because that's what they want to pay. People don't do this with other stores or other items. You don't look at all the prices in a grocery store and the decide what you are willing to pay and then offer them that. You decide if you want that item or maybe a cheaper item. I don't understand I guess.
Old 04-22-2017, 12:23 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by miltimore View Post
What I don't understand is why people make it such a process in the first place. I don't understand the original posters "bad taste". Sounds like the dealer came down $2000 and the factory rebate gave him another $1200 off. That's $3200 off the retail price? Why would that leave a "bad taste" in your mouth? Most people know the price of the car before they go look at it. Why do they expect the dealer to just drop several thousand dollars off of it because that's what they want to pay. People don't do this with other stores or other items. You don't look at all the prices in a grocery store and the decide what you are willing to pay and then offer them that. You decide if you want that item or maybe a cheaper item. I don't understand I guess.
You would not by chance be in the business of selling cars would you? Dealerships, not buyers, have long established the practice of showing the sticker price and then saying, but this is what we can do for you as they offer reductions off the "retail price'. Everyone knows sticker price was never intended to be the "retail price". It is simply a marketing ploy from which they can claim any price below that is a "bargain".
Lowrance Gen2 Touch 9 with network to the trolling motor