Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Erie 3/24 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Members Fishing Reports

Old 03-24-2007, 05:56 PM
Duckdude

Default Erie 3/24

i know a lot of guys are wondering what the lake looks like right now so here you go. got a little bit of a late start this morning due to a little over indulgence in the friday night festivities ie. we got pretty loaded. lake was VERY foggy with maybe 75 yards of visability at best. started at crane reef and pulled one then made the hike out to B can and grabbed another one. that fish went between 27 and 28 inches. the lake was so flat it was like we were sitting on a window. water clarity was great and almost too clear out by B can. there is a LOT of debris out there and still some ice chunks. did pass a couple ice burgs that could send a group swimming in a hurry if you hit them going fast enough. heard probably 20 other boats but never saw one the whole afternoon. with water temps where they are and air temps a solid 20 degrees above that the fog will most likely stay thick out there. its early guys, if you go out be careful! 5 mins in that water and you are toast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2007, 07:20 PM
Charter Member

Default RE: Erie 3/24

Here's what Crib Reef looks like. http://www.westernbasinsportfishinga...0/PICT2444.jpg
Old 03-24-2007, 08:12 PM
jay2k

you gotta be kidding, right? That is one "erie" looking picture.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2007, 08:15 PM
Charter Member

Outstanding shot there Marc.
Old 03-24-2007, 08:17 PM
Slot Fish

No he's not. At least 25 feet tall. Imagine seeing that in 100ft visibility. WOW
Old 03-24-2007, 09:45 PM
fowltalk

>Here's what Crib Reef looks like.
>http://www.westernbasinsportfishinga...0/PICT2444.jpg
thats a great photo...and WOW!!...I don't recall ever seeing a burg like that before in Erie.
Old 03-24-2007, 09:56 PM
Wallhanger

great pic ! I was jealous about not getting out until April 11, but after that shot, I'll wait.
Old 03-25-2007, 07:06 AM
Charter Member

The picture is real. The original however was almost all white due to the fog and it has been darkened to show the contrast of the piles thru the fog.

There is all open water from Turtle to past Cone Reef. The ice shows up out there before you get to the can line.

This pile was caused by the ice getting stuck on the shallow top of Crib and then piling up there as wind drove more ice into it.
Think it's spooky here? You should see it in person!

The fish are still in ice mode and haven't moved in yet.
Old 03-25-2007, 08:28 AM
Tommy Franjesh

I took a couple pictures of ice burgs yesterday too but, that was is amazing. We tried to make it to the reefs from Catawba and weaved through about a mile of ice before we gave up. Some of the ice burgs that is saw were 50-100 feet long and went at least 10' below the surface. They were huge. I would estimate that it's going to take at least two weeks for something that size to melt.

Tom Franjesh
Old 03-25-2007, 06:35 PM
scary day

went out sunday in the fog to cone didnt see much ice, fishing was slow, so we moved east and ice was everywhere, we knew boats were catching fish out there, but we got scared and turned around and went back to 18- 20 feet of water, it took us quite awhile to catch our fish but we did get them slowly and felt a lot safer. the ice definetly movbed back west asthe day went on. be careful and you can catch fish about 3 miles out, not sure but i think we were around locust reef.