Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
mid summer fishing - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 06-21-2017, 03:27 PM
Minnow

Default mid summer fishing

Hey guys, would like to take my son to a northwestern ontario lake before he has to go back to school mid august. What are your thoughts on trips end of July or first of August. I"d imagine the bugs may be slowing down, but would the fishing also? Water temps rising and pushing fish deeper? We usually go first part of June. He likes fishing primarily for pike. thoughts? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2017, 05:40 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssscott1 View Post
Hey guys, would like to take my son to a northwestern ontario lake before he has to go back to school mid august. What are your thoughts on trips end of July or first of August. I"d imagine the bugs may be slowing down, but would the fishing also? Water temps rising and pushing fish deeper? We usually go first part of June. He likes fishing primarily for pike. thoughts? Thanks
I only wish the bugs slowed down then, they are probably at their hungriest around then...lol. Where are you thinking of going? It would help to have a location or locations you are considering so people could be more specific about fish whereabouts and tactics.
Old 06-21-2017, 05:46 PM
4T2

My son and I have been going to Red Lake (Black Bear Lodge) for the past 8 years in the week between summer (travel) baseball and the start of football--generally the 3rd week in July, but sometimes the 4th. This year will be July 22 - 29. Not sure how old you son is, or what creature comforts you're looking for--and I have no experience at any other Canadian destinations--but we love where we go. I could type for hours...but, as far as the bugs: mosquitos can get pretty rough around 9:30pm, but not much problem with the flies, etc. usually. Fishing is, of course, good. We have each landed a 40+ pike, and have literally worn ourselves out--as in hands/wrists sore--with 25-30" toothy critters. The lake also offers abundant walleye (duh), solid lake trout (catch-and-release only), the occasional small mouth (not very frequent), and plenty of white fish and burbot if you're looking for something different to target. Perch, too. A portage lake offers musky.

I'm more than willing to throw more info out, if you're interested in going there, but I'm certain that others will weigh in as well.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2017, 06:05 PM
Wallhanger

Default Thumbs up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4T2 View Post
My son and I have been going to Red Lake (Black Bear Lodge) for the past 8 years in the week between summer (travel) baseball and the start of football--generally the 3rd week in July, but sometimes the 4th. This year will be July 22 - 29. Not sure how old you son is, or what creature comforts you're looking for--and I have no experience at any other Canadian destinations--but we love where we go. I could type for hours...but, as far as the bugs: mosquitos can get pretty rough around 9:30pm, but not much problem with the flies, etc. usually. Fishing is, of course, good. We have each landed a 40+ pike, and have literally worn ourselves out--as in hands/wrists sore--with 25-30" toothy critters. The lake also offers abundant walleye (duh), solid lake trout (catch-and-release only), the occasional small mouth (not very frequent), and plenty of white fish and burbot if you're looking for something different to target. Perch, too. A portage lake offers musky.

I'm more than willing to throw more info out, if you're interested in going there, but I'm certain that others will weigh in as well.

I have been to BBL in late July, early August great fishing, late season few bugs, as noted a few late night skeeters. Great food plan, usually not to crowded this time of year. A late season plus is a good chance to see the Northern Lights!
There is a vibe about BBL that is hard to put into words, hopefully I will be able to put a trip together for next year! Jim and Jillian are great hosts too!
Old 06-21-2017, 07:49 PM
Wallhanger

My wife and I did a fly in in June a few years ago. The fishing was tremendous. We went back in August last year with a friend. No bugs, great swimming, but the fish were very scattered. On the other hand, that was just one trip. I've heard others say they do real well in August.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:58 AM
Wallhanger

Love the end of august/sept timeframes....no bugs, stable weather, cool nights and best
of all....the Americans have all gone home.
Old 06-22-2017, 10:41 AM
Wallhanger

Default Follow-Up

Greetings,

My experience with fishing during late July and August is quite favorable. But, I will admit that it can be intimidating to those that normally fish during May and June.

I agree with the original post being correct relative to the fish moving deeper, in response to warming water temperature. I typically find walleyes in about 18 fow during the first week of August, and moving to about 25 fow by middle of August. Walleyes are often on off-shore structure (e.g. rock humps) or deeper points associated with shore. Many anglers are not comfortable fishing in this deep of water. Boat control, fishing techniques and equipment need to be optimized.

The thing that I like most about fishing in August and September is that I am letting mother nature do the work for me in terms of congregating the walleyes for me. I know where all the walleyes are if I can find one. They were probably in this same spot the day before, and will probably be there tomorrow as well. I'm thinkin "game on!" if I can pull up to a rock hump and catch a good walleye.

In contrast, I find that spring time walleye fishing is like trying to hit a moving target. They might be here this afternoon, and a half mile away tomorrow afternoon.

Mother nature is also doing her work in congregating the northern pike for me. I fish the same rock humps for northern pike that I do for walleyes. These rock humps often hold the biggest pike in the system during July through mid-September.

Good fishing and tight lines!!
Old 06-22-2017, 03:45 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeebee View Post
Love the end of august/sept timeframes....no bugs, stable weather, cool nights and best
But for those darn Americans, few resorts/camps would be open. Of course if they build a wall between the countries, travel will be tough.
Old 06-22-2017, 05:28 PM
Keeper

Completely agree with BornToFish. Deeper points, mid-lake humps & islands, deep sand all can be productive. We typically find a larger size fish community on these locations...both pike and eyes. But I wouldn't overlook a good weedline either, especially in low light or choppy conditions. Weeds provide shade, cover and often times hold baitfish. Neck downs between islands and/or points on a breezy day can also create current over a saddle and these can be good too. If you can find a pattern, you can put up some good numbers with good size. The growing season is short that far north & fish gotta eat. Water is at it's warmest & metabolism is at it's highest. So I wouldn't shy away from July, August & early September. Great fishing can be had!

Best of luck!
Old 06-22-2017, 05:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeebee View Post
Not for long. Most of Hollywood is headed your way. At least they say so.