Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
The Governor S&W - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Hunting Central > Archery, Blackpowder, Rifles, Pistols, Shotguns...and whatever else you have.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:14 PM
Minnow

Default The Governor S&W

Thinking about getting a Smith & Wesson Governor.

So tell me how would you load? 45 - 410 or 410 first then 45? Every other or two 410s and four 45s?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2012, 09:32 PM
Wallhanger

I assume you mean for self defense and not for hunting correct? For self defense I would load it with all .45's and skip the 410 hype. And since I would only be shooting .45's I would probably skip the entirely massive Governor and get a hand gun that can actually be concealed and fired without first having to lift weights to get your arm strong enough to hold it out!

For hunting I would again go with the .45's because with the rifled barrel any bird shot loads are pretty much useless past about 5 or 7 yards.

OK rant off! Seriously though I have not looked at the S&W offering but I've played with the Taurus Judge enough to come to the conclusion that it's trying to be the jack of all things and the master of none. It's to big IMHO for a concealed or defensive gun and patters WAY to bad to be practical for a hunting gun so I just don't know what it's good for. Trust me I tried to come up with a use for it because it is a cool gun. And for that matter if you want one go for it, but realize that it's not practical for much, I have plenty of guns that I love that aren't really practical for much of anything. Do I really need a 375 and a 458 when the largest animal I hunt is a whitetail? Do I really need a $5,000 sniper rifle with a 8.5-25x scope when my range is only 100yds long? Do I really need a 10" barreled AR with a silencer on it? Heck no I don't need any of them and none of them serve any practical purpose for me but I do enjoy having them. If you want a 410 handgun have fun with it!
Old 04-02-2012, 10:11 PM
Keeper

I wouldnt own one thats for sure,and thats saying alot cause I like all guns!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2012, 07:50 AM
Minnow

Thanks for helping me get my head back on straight. Know how when you see something new that kind of trips your trigger, you think you just have to have one.
Yes, I would be using it for concealed carry. I was thinking of something for pocket carry.
I have been using a Sringfield XDM 40 but with the 4 1/2in. barrel it's hard to conceal. Usally have to wear a jacket or long shirt to cover. Thought a pocket gun would be better.
Oh yes I like the statement "trying to be the jack of all things and the master of none."

Can I ask what you guys carry?
Old 04-03-2012, 08:15 AM
Wallhanger

Those 410 revolvers are, in my opinion, a specialized tool for carjacking defense. Too big to conceal, not accurate with handgun ammo.
1911's for everyone!
Old 04-03-2012, 09:33 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Tyee View Post
Thanks for helping me get my head back on straight. Know how when you see something new that kind of trips your trigger, you think you just have to have one.
Yes, I would be using it for concealed carry. I was thinking of something for pocket carry.
I have been using a Sringfield XDM 40 but with the 4 1/2in. barrel it's hard to conceal. Usally have to wear a jacket or long shirt to cover. Thought a pocket gun would be better.
Oh yes I like the statement "trying to be the jack of all things and the master of none."

I carry an AR15,NY sucks on pistol laws!!!!
Old 04-03-2012, 09:36 AM
Keeper

But if I could the XDM would be tops on my list.....Ive had the 500 S&W and a glock and 1911,and liked them all!!!!
Old 04-03-2012, 10:10 AM
Wallhanger

If you want a good carry gun try a .380, Colt mustang is a good one they have started selling them again. Walther PK (made in Germany) or other Walther's made by Smith are good. I carry a Colt Deffender or a Kimber CDPII both in .45acp but the are not pocket guns. I retired my Mustang from carry duty since its old. You can also look at several .22, .25. Remember its not the biggest for carry use its what fits your hand the best. Your avg shot in a self defense is less that 5 feet and a gun no matter what size will deter most attackers. I don't want to get shot again even by a .22, it hurts to bad! So pick a weapon that fits your hand first then pick one that fits in your pocket second then the cal should be last on the list.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:08 AM
Wallhanger

There is a really good firearms site called corneredcat.com. It's primarly meant for women who are shopping for their first handgun, but the articles about chosing a handgun that fits your hand, yjour needs, and your tolerance of recoil are excellent.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:17 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Tyee View Post

For normal carry I carry a S&W 1911 with a Officerr length grip and a 3" barrel, when I need a little more concealability I switch to a HK P7 and when I need a really small gun I go with a Seacamp .32. I have a 4" S&W M29 in 44 mag and I couldn't imagine trying to carry it concealed and it's considerably smaller than the Governor.