Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
GLoomis Experts - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 12-08-2012, 09:33 AM
Slot Fish

Default GLoomis Experts

I currently own a SJR720 IMX with tape-on handle. It is by far the best rod I have ever used for vertical jigging Walleye. I want to purchase another for my wife. I was wondering if pehaps there is a better Loomis model for vertical jigging Walleye other than the SJR720? This is the only Loomis model I have tried.

I also love the tape-on handle. All the current models I can find do not have this. Is this model available with this handle?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2012, 12:25 PM
Wallhanger

Default Contact Thorne Brothers

I would contact Thorne Brothers and have one made for you. They will find the blank comparable if not identical to the one you have

763-572-3782
Old 12-08-2012, 04:06 PM
Wallhanger

I have this same rod and agree with you, it is the best rod I've ever used for vertical jigging.

Aa very close 2nd to this is the WPJR 821S from their Walleye Series. This was my go to rod for any type of jigging until I got the SJR720 IMX. The only noticeable difference is that the WPJR 821S is heavier, but thats only because its longer. It is a great rod for any type of jigging

The 3rd rod I use for jigging is also a great lindy rig rod, it is another Walleye Series, WRR 8500S (I have the last model which was 1" shorter). It also works very good but now I usually use it for lindy rigging
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2012, 12:28 PM
Wallhanger

I have been jigging with the GLX SJR782S 6-6 Medium/Fast Tip for several years. If there is a better rod I have never seen one.

Mike Kansas
Old 12-11-2012, 11:47 AM
Wallhanger

Does the SJR720 IMX have enough backbone for the occasional 6 to 8 pound walleye. I emphasis occasional.

I am looking to get a G Loomis this year to add to my walleye jigging arsenal. I jig flats 5-16 feet with mainly an 1/8th oz. jig moving around 1 mph always. Usually on med/big lakes.

Does this seem rod seem to fit this style or is it straight vertical thing?

Thanks in advance
Old 12-11-2012, 12:07 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeblue View Post
Does the SJR720 IMX have enough backbone for the occasional 6 to 8 pound walleye. I emphasis occasional.

I am looking to get a G Loomis this year to add to my walleye jigging arsenal. I jig flats 5-16 feet with mainly an 1/8th oz. jig moving around 1 mph always. Usually on med/big lakes.

Does this seem rod seem to fit this style or is it straight vertical thing?

Thanks in advance

I would have plenty of confidence in this rod being able to handle a +10lb walleye. I tend to fish with the drag set light on the reel. A 4 to 5 lb fish will pull a drag when I'm bringing it in. I use this rod for vertical jigging or jigging behind the boat when using the trolling motor to work drop offs or humps

Also, the way it was explained to me, a mag-lite power rod has a little more backbone then a med-lite rod from Gloomis. They told me that mag-lite is in between med-lite and medium

Last edited by Bigstorm; 12-11-2012 at 12:10 PM. Reason: update
Old 12-11-2012, 01:49 PM
Wallhanger

Default Sjr720

I have one and have caught plenty of accidental Northerns on it, and it performed perfectly, no problem with lack of backbone. The tip on the rod is fantastic...far and away the best jigging rod I have ever used...even though it is only 6 foot.
Hummibird 898
Old 12-11-2012, 01:58 PM
Wallhanger

Sounds like a great rod. tempted.......
Old 12-13-2012, 04:41 PM
Slot Fish

Pulled a 21Lb & 19Lb Pike in same day this year jigging for Walleye with this rod. This rod handled them great!