Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Xi5 or Terrova I-Pilot - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 07-12-2014, 02:13 PM
Keeper

Default Xi5 or Terrova I-Pilot

From what I've been reading the MG holds your position better when anchor lock is activated.
My main concern in how the foot pedal operates. I've always had cable steer TM so I would want which ever one reacts like a cable steer.
Not interested in the Link or connecting fishfinders through Ethernet. I do alot of verticall jigging and pitching although I may start trolling more.
Also it is hard to fathom that when going shopping for a trolling motor that nobody I have found has actual working demos. How are you supposed to decide on how to spend $1,000.00 to $1,500.00 of your hard earned money on an item you cannot try out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2014, 02:49 PM
Super Moderator

Working demos?
That would go over great when someone cuts a finger off or pinches something.
There is NO real way to test unless on the water in your boat, therefore any other means is a waste of time so there are no demos.
Purchase from a place that offers a good return policy if you don't like it.
As for
Quote:
MG holds your position better when anchor lock is activated.
You do understand that this is a software setting in part of the firmware, I suppose it is great on a lake without any wind or current, yet to accomplish this, the motor needs to be constantly making adjustments.
Whereas Minnkota decided to give a larger area prior to corrections being applied.
They both use the same satellites

Last edited by cyber16; 07-12-2014 at 02:52 PM.
Old 07-12-2014, 05:10 PM
Keeper

From what I have read the MinnKota's foot pedal is not designed very well. The pivot point is towards the heel and the on off switch is towards the toe plus it's hard to push on the heel because of this pivot location.
The MotorGuides pivot point is in the middle making heel toe activation easier. I'm told the MG head reacts quicker.
Of course this is all hearsay.

Anybody here used both of these motors and if so which one is better for vertical jigging a river?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2014, 07:15 PM
Charter Member

A friend sold his Terrova and bought an Xi5's. His opinion is that the Motorguide does a better job on spot lock and the foot pedal is more user friendly. But, he feels the MinnKota is a better motor, quality wise. He got constant interference trying to use the built in transducer on the Xi5. Motorguide had him take it to a repair shop for a change and it didn't help. I believe he would probably have kept his MinnKota knowing what he does now. If the more accurate spotlock and a more user friendly foot pedal is your main concern, Motorguide might fit your needs better.
Old 07-12-2014, 09:11 PM
Keeper

Perform a search on these boards. There has been plenty of discussion on the disappointment with the Motorguide.
Old 07-12-2014, 10:00 PM
Minnow

I have a Xi5. My nephew also has one. I would recommend going with the ipilot, or waiting until next year for the Xi5. Maybe some of the bugs will be worked out. Spotlock works good. Heading lock isn't real accurate sometimes. I go through batteries in the remote and foot pedal frequently. Motor guide has replaced 2 foot pedals on his. And maybe motor guide will add a display on the remote next year.
Old 07-13-2014, 07:22 AM
Wallhanger

I have two seasons with the I-pilot. I could not be happier. The anchor lock is not perfect, but it is more accurate than an actual anchor. Both are affected by wind and current. One has the ability to correct itself without operator intervention. Maybe it should have been marketed as "Anchor Point Correction". I point the bow into the wind and wait until momentum is almost neutral when activating. Yes, I move 5-10 feet off the mark depending on wind speed or current flow. I can move more than that with an anchor and the anchor would have to be reset. The I-pilot is the best technology right now unless you use a shallow water "pin the bottom" power pole. When I troll I love the steer with the TM. I can hold a course with the autopilot, track the course, and repeat the course from the end or the beginning. As for the foot pedal, It is my first pedal so I have no "conditioning" of how it should work. Had a learning curve of about two hours, and now I think it is very reliable and easy use. Nice big activation buttons in good locations. Just takes a little learning or relearning. Not complicated, just unfamiliar to a user with prior experience. I see a use for follow the contour, but haven't used that feature yet. I love the autopilot for holding a course. Allows me to set the course and maintain casting distance to the shore.
Old 07-13-2014, 07:32 AM
Keeper

Thanks for the responses!
I really want to try either the Terrova or the Xi5 but am pretty sure i would be unhappy because I mostly vertical/pitch jigs. I don't go out on big water (like the Saginaw Bay) and troll. I mostly fish small to medium size inland lakes and rivers.
When I vertical jig I am constantly using the foot pedal adjusting to current and wind to stay vertical.
I have a new boat on order (Alumacraft Escape/Yamaha 40HP) and am on the fence as to getting another cable steer or an electric steer. There would be no question as to which I would get if the electric steer reacted like a cable.
Having said that the electric steer has advantages that the cable steer does not have.
Buying both would probably be the way to go!
Old 07-13-2014, 07:37 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by packpro View Post
I have two seasons with the I-pilot. I could not be happier. The anchor lock is not perfect, but it is more accurate than an actual anchor. Both are affected by wind and current. One has the ability to correct itself without operator intervention. Maybe it should have been marketed as "Anchor Point Correction". I point the bow into the wind and wait until momentum is almost neutral when activating. Yes, I move 5-10 feet off the mark depending on wind speed or current flow. I can move more than that with an anchor and the anchor would have to be reset. The I-pilot is the best technology right now unless you use a shallow water "pin the bottom" power pole. When I troll I love the steer with the TM. I can hold a course with the autopilot, track the course, and repeat the course from the end or the beginning. As for the foot pedal, It is my first pedal so I have no "conditioning" of how it should work. Had a learning curve of about two hours, and now I think it is very reliable and easy use. Nice big activation buttons in good locations. Just takes a little learning or relearning. Not complicated, just unfamiliar to a user with prior experience. I see a use for follow the contour, but haven't used that feature yet. I love the autopilot for holding a course. Allows me to set the course and maintain casting distance to the shore.
When you use the foot pedal is it easy to heel/toe the foot pedal thus steering the motor? Is it easy to keep the on button (on the foot pedal) depressed while pushing with your toe/heel to steer?
Old 07-13-2014, 08:17 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom1955 View Post
When you use the foot pedal is it easy to heel/toe the foot pedal thus steering the motor? Is it easy to keep the on button (on the foot pedal) depressed while pushing with your toe/heel to steer?
After taking this picture, I realize I am not a pedal user. I use the buttons at the bottom. I think Minnkota offers this style for users who have grown use to the pedals. I would rather see the size cut in half and just have the large buttons to work with. Top left is the auto pilot button. Bottom left is the "Constant On" I use this and just control the speed with the Speed Wheel on the top right. On the bottom you have "on/off" in the center, with left/right steering on each side. The learning curve was easier with the buttons for me. Left was left, right was right. Made more sense to me a new user than forward is left and back is right.
I still use the remote predominately, but have used the pedal and like it as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Minnkota.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	168.9 KB
ID:	99305