Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
ethernet question - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 02-24-2012, 07:46 AM
Minnow

Default ethernet question

So am I getting this right now if I have all my units hooked up to the ethernet. I only have to hook up one gps receiver to one unit and all the other units will be able to use that receiver or do I need to use the nmea 2000 cables to all the units off of the receiver.
9.9 Mercury Pro kicker
101 Terrova w/I-link
Hummingbird 1198
Hummingbird 998
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2012, 08:01 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamWalleyePatrol View Post
So am I getting this right now if I have all my units hooked up to the ethernet. I only have to hook up one gps receiver to one unit and all the other units will be able to use that receiver or do I need to use the nmea 2000 cables to all the units off of the receiver.
I believe that is correct. You only need one GPS module when units are connected via ethernet. My question is why would you want that? There is a natural inaccuracy of these units by about 10'. So if the GPS module is 20' away (stern mounted) from the unit (on the bow) and there is a 10' variability, that means a unit could be 30' off.

I put a GPS module on two units in my boat (bow and stern). That way the most they'll be off is 10'. The GPS module should be associated with the transducer location.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:24 AM
Minnow

Well the two units that are going to be ethernet linked are a global map 5300c and a lcx 28c hd both will be on the console of the boat these two are the ones that are going to share the puck and mapping chips. The locator on the bow is going to be a lms 522c with an internal antenna. I am not sure if that one is going to be ethernet linked or not yet. I am also wondering what cable I would need to connect the puck and the units to the console with seeing as they the puck and units all seem to have red male ends.
9.9 Mercury Pro kicker
101 Terrova w/I-link
Hummingbird 1198
Hummingbird 998
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2012, 08:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamWalleyePatrol View Post
Well the two units that are going to be ethernet linked are a global map 5300c and a lcx 28c hd both will be on the console of the boat these two are the ones that are going to share the puck and mapping chips. The locator on the bow is going to be a lms 522c with an internal antenna. I am not sure if that one is going to be ethernet linked or not yet. I am also wondering what cable I would need to connect the puck and the units to the console with seeing as they the puck and units all seem to have red male ends.
I will try to answer this, its confusing.

You cannot share the mapping chips via ethernet or NMEA on your 5300c and your 28c hd. They will each need thier own map. They can share wpt and other gps data through the NMEA interface. I dont think ethernet will do you any good unless you want to share the sonar return on the 5300 from the 28c

The way mine is setup-

I have a 28c hd on the bow

5300c on the transom

both are linked with ethernet and NMEA

What I wanted was to have a second unit on the transom so I can see the same sonar screen that is on the 28c

The unit acts just like a sonar with all the controls and menus, this comes from the ethernet connection.

The NMEA sends gps data, like gps speed, wpts etc

U have to have seperate map chips in each unit for a map to allear on both, ir just use the background may that the 5300 already has in it (which is what I do)

Dad shot the little fellow.

Mary had a little pig.
Her father shot it dead.
Now it goes to school with her,
Between two hunks of bread.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:49 AM
Wallhanger

My take is that GPS runs through NMEA2000 when using an external antenna and you need to hook up both units through that system. The internal ant can share through enet.
As far as the antenna info. If you have an ext ant make sure you put it near you transducer for most accurate readings.
Go on lowrance site for diagram info. Its all there.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:51 AM
Minnow

Well I do already have two chip already so I will just have to put one in each from what your saying. Maybe then I should eithernet the bow to one of the units on the console that way they could share way points. So then I would probably go with a nmea 2000 starter kit. Does the nmea 2000 need a power source then. I am new to this nmea network and it seems so confusing to me sorry for all the questions.
9.9 Mercury Pro kicker
101 Terrova w/I-link
Hummingbird 1198
Hummingbird 998
Old 02-24-2012, 09:01 AM
Charter Member

"Maybe then I should eithernet the bow to one of the units on the console that way they could share way points. "

I could be wrong, but ethernet wont do that. You would think you could do everything with the ethernet but you cant.

You need the NMEA 2000 for that

Yes, it does need to be powered

this is all covered in the manual for your units as is on the Lowrance website also.

Thats how I figured it out.

Mary had a little pig.
Her father shot it dead.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:28 AM
Minnow

So then what is the benefits for having the eithernet then?
9.9 Mercury Pro kicker
101 Terrova w/I-link
Hummingbird 1198
Hummingbird 998
Old 02-24-2012, 09:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDP View Post
Sharing sonar readings.
actually the NMEA will share sonar readings ie. depth (numbers only) etc

like I said in my original answer, the ethernet will allow share of sonar returns (the actual screens) so you can have one as a master and the other unit as a slave, or in my case, my 5300 acts just like a sonar with sonar menus, etc just like my main unit

for example, when I plug the ethernet into my 5300, it becomes a combo unit. All the menus are the same as my 28c hd, with sonar choices and pages, just like the 28c hd has

Mary had a little pig.
Her father shot it dead.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:30 PM
Wallhanger

Default Teamwalleyepatrol

Here is some good info for the NMEA 2000, This info should be in your manuals also.

http://www.lowrance.com/upload/Lowra...173_112006.pdf