Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Battery Draw Down - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 03-23-2012, 08:14 PM
Keeper

Default Battery Draw Down

I took my boat out of storage today but stopped by last week and put the batteries in, and hooked them up...when I got there today and trimmed the motors they barely had enough juice to lift the motors. The key was off and the master power switch was off. Where do I start?
Old 03-23-2012, 08:24 PM
Super Moderator

I'm no expert, but from my understanding, the motor will be drawing on the cranking battery even with the master switch off unless you specifically have a breaker between the motor and the battery.

I leave my charger plugged in all the time when the boat is on the trailer.

I'm sure I will be corrected if I am wrong...

Juls
NPAA#89
Guide (Lake Erie Western Basin)
Vexus DVX22 Merc 400 Verado
Humminbird Helix 12s
MinnKota Terrova 112
Old 03-24-2012, 10:15 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juls View Post
I'm no expert, but from my understanding, the motor will be drawing on the cranking battery even with the master switch off unless you specifically have a breaker between the motor and the battery.

I leave my charger plugged in all the time when the boat is on the trailer.

I'm sure I will be corrected if I am wrong...

Juls
Juls is correct. The engine's computer can still draw current when the master switch is off. However, I disagree with leaving the batteries on a charger all winter (where I am, winter is just about over now). If you charger or a battery fails, you could have bigger troubles, the worst case scenario being a fire. I prefer to disconnect all fully charged batteries from everything (all cables removed) for winter storage. At low ambient temperatures, a fully charged battery can be stored for months, and only require a few minutes of charging in the spring.

Boat Nut
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2012, 11:34 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat nut View Post
However, I disagree with leaving the batteries on a charger all winter
He just put the batteries in, so he's not talking about keeping the charger plugging in all winter, but rather...right now.

During the fishing months, I leave it plugged in so that I know when I go out I have fully charged batteries for the day.

I never have a boat to worry about in the winter, so your advice is probably good for those that do. It just doesn't apply to me.

Juls
NPAA#89
Guide (Lake Erie Western Basin)
Vexus DVX22 Merc 400 Verado
Humminbird Helix 12s
MinnKota Terrova 112
Old 03-24-2012, 11:43 AM
Keeper

Pretty simple (but maybe tedious) matter to disconnect all the electronics and connect them one-by-one with even a cheap ammeter hooked to the battery and the respective lines out at the battery. It's easy with two people, and can let you diagnose vampires.

I had a used boat that the owner had gone through batteries every year. The radio/CD drew a surprising amount of current. Once the CD half of the radio was disconnected (then the whole radio switched) there was virtually no current draw on the battery in storage.
Old 03-24-2012, 11:44 AM
Keeper

The plug you had charger plugged into didn't shut off when you shut off the lights did it?
Don't ask why I would think of that..
Dave
Old 03-24-2012, 12:26 PM
Wallhanger

Do you have a kicker with a trollmaster? It'll draw the battery down over the winter months