Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
New Walleye Net - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 03-04-2012, 06:04 AM
Minnow

Default New Walleye Net

Looking for a new net, any ideas????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2012, 06:21 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomandju View Post
Looking for a new net, any ideas????
I picked up a Gary Roach edition of a Stow-Master from Reeds Sporting Goods in Walker, MN last fall. Absolutely perfect for eyes. I also have a bigger Stow-Master but the GR edition is perfect for my boat especially when I fish alone.
Old 03-04-2012, 12:19 PM
Minnow

Definetly get the rubber net , picked up a nice one at dunhams , cummings with a extending handle , 39.00 , ask for the 20 % off coupon at the counter . Rubber is nice no hooks to mess with in the net more time to fish
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2012, 02:18 PM
Keeper

I got a real nice deal 2 years ago on a "Jackfield" net. It has a very strong hexagonal handle that extends to 7 feet. The net is a 20 inches in diameter and the netting is nylon or cotton covered with rubber. The bottom of the net which is about 30 inches deep and is flat. The flat bottom really calms the fish. The holes in the net are quite small.

I don't always bring the net with me because I'm a bit superstitious when it comes to nets however, I always have it when it comes time to go fishing for landlocked salmon. They aren't as easy to grab with one hand as walleye are.

I paid 15 dollars for the net.
Old 03-04-2012, 03:11 PM
Keeper

Well that depends.

Trolling? Boards or inline weights.
Boat style you fish out of?
Where? Current or not?

I fish out of a Lund 1700 for eyes.

When I bottom bounce or long line with 6'6" - 7' rods in current I use a 4ft handle that has a 3' extension and a 2' plus hoop and rubber coated net. I leave the rubber net at home as we a ton of current to deal.

When rigging, planner boards or inline weights with 8' plus rods I use a 3' hoop and rubber coated net on an 10' handle. With the longer rods the extension is handy.

Casting cranks or other baits in slow or no current situations I like a the rubber net on a 4' handle. I use this one on bass and crappies as well.

And Musky ... well that's a different net all together.

Check out Ranger Nets out of Michigan. Great quality product at a reasonable price IMO.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:44 PM
Keeper

Cabelas custom landing nets
They also sell replacement nets for this model if you ever need one. I like the rubber and would never go back to nylon. I also like the fact I don't have to go arm pit deep to get my fish out of the net. The handle also slides into the net for more compact storage of the net.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:48 AM
Charter Member

Buy an extendable net.(Cheap one) Order the hook free replacement netting and you will have a light high end net that won't cost an arm and leg. Check your catalogs for replacement netting I think it is around 12 or $15 for the netting with the coating on it to help keep your hooks from geting caught into.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:22 AM
Wallhanger

Someone in another link suggested these nets. For the money, they look like they have all the same features as the comparable Frabill that costs 3 times the money. http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shop...10205344/62034
Old 03-05-2012, 08:03 AM
Keeper

Speaking of Frabill. They make the stowable version that looked like a great model. My dad bought one a few years back and it was a piece of junk. It did not stand up at all. The last time I had seen it he had reinforcement on it and tape holding it together. They may have changed it by looking at the reviews from other people but our family experience was not good with it.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:04 AM
Charter Member

Beckman.