Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
How to best remove old boat numbers - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 09-08-2008, 07:15 PM
mee

Go to your parts store and get a 3M decal/pin stripe remover. It is a 3-4 inch round disc with a 1/4 shank.
Put it in your drill, go slow use a little goo remover to clean .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2008, 06:58 AM
Charter Member

Used to have to take the names off boats... We always used oven cleaner. Works like a charm. Do not spray it everywhere. But just on the numbers.
We did this on up to 5 Mil $$ boats. And it did the job. Also like someone else posted WD-40 works on any glue left. And also takes up caulk if you need to get some off a floor or anything.
Pete
Old 09-13-2008, 11:53 AM
Keeper

How long would you let the oven cleaner stay on to do it's thing before removing it and the decals? Have a Ranger and need to take old hull numbers off...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2012, 06:10 PM
Minnow

Default Removing registration graphics

I just bought a 5 year old Ranger in Georgia and the registration decals were baked on. I tried the hair drier deal to no avail and much frustration. I came upon a product called Graphixoff and bought it off the internet. Shipment was very fast. I followed the directions in the evening as was frustrated with this whole ordeal after hours of work trying the hair dirier routine. Slopped it on and went to bed praying it would work. Woke up to find the vinyl decals on my garage floor. Wow! No damage to the gel coat and just a mineral spirits wash to clean up any glue residue. Give it a shot. Their website is graphxoff.com
Old 03-28-2012, 09:56 PM
Wallhanger

I've used the heat gun on decal adheive numbers, the oven cleaner is used on painted on numbers.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:20 AM
Keeper

Theres stuff called "Un-do" from Scrappers Solutions. It's adhesive remover that works great and is gentle enough to be used on photographs, can be found at most scrapbook / craft stores. I swipe it from my wife once in a while. Works as well as Goof Off without the worry about harming anything underneath. Expensive and toxic though.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:26 AM
Slot Fish

Does Goof Off harm the finish on a glass boat? I'm new to the glass world and coming off a tin where Goof Off (small amount) worked great in removing the remain adhesive after removing the registration sticker.
--Tim
Old 03-29-2012, 11:03 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJL009 View Post
Does Goof Off harm the finish on a glass boat? I'm new to the glass world and coming off a tin where Goof Off (small amount) worked great in removing the remain adhesive after removing the registration sticker.
--Tim
I think it's ok as long as you don't leave it on too long, and get ALL the residue off ASAP. Based on the smell of the stuff, it's a strong petroleum solvent so proceed with caution. I'd try it on a hidden area first.

Last edited by awdiwo; 03-29-2012 at 11:11 AM.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:09 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwl View Post
I've used the heat gun on decal adheive numbers.
X2!
Old 03-30-2012, 08:13 AM
Keeper

I used the hair dryer and fingernail routine. Got them off but it was not easy.
The registration numbers on the boat are way harder to get of than the decals on a car,not sure why.