Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
New Hunting Dog - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Hunting Central > Hunting Dogs and dogs in general

Old 04-01-2014, 09:23 AM
Wallhanger

Last summer I was looking for a lab with descent lines and all the genetic tests done on parents along with hips, eyes, elbows and so on. I didn't really want a show or hunting dog as we do neither and we ended up with an upland bred lab from Randy Moore of upland kennels. I have never hunted. I have 2 friends that are big into upland hunting so we thought we take Kramer our pup with us to see if he would hunt. I called Randy and his quote numerous time "that dog will hunt!" WTF? Really he's 5 months. OK so we run him with by buddy's lab that was a guide dog for years. Well Kramer hunts....all by himself with ZERO training. He's been around loud noises so I was confident he wouldn't be "gun shy" but for him to flush and retrieve birds at 5 months without ANY training is pretty awesome. My buddy and the owner of the pheasant farm were amazed. BTW Kramers grandmother is "Uplands Maggie" 2011 world champion dual handler upland bird dog. So I guess some labs can upland hunt.....I have since bought a gun some training equipment and have taken Kramer and our older dog Dozer hunting at pheasant farms. They do pretty well for the lack of training. I think with the right lab and trainer it can do anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2014, 10:38 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2catch1 View Post
Last summer I was looking for a lab with descent lines and all the genetic tests done on parents along with hips, eyes, elbows and so on. I didn't really want a show or hunting dog as we do neither and we ended up with an upland bred lab from Randy Moore of upland kennels. I have never hunted. I have 2 friends that are big into upland hunting so we thought we take Kramer our pup with us to see if he would hunt. I called Randy and his quote numerous time "that dog will hunt!" WTF? Really he's 5 months. OK so we run him with by buddy's lab that was a guide dog for years. Well Kramer hunts....all by himself with ZERO training. He's been around loud noises so I was confident he wouldn't be "gun shy" but for him to flush and retrieve birds at 5 months without ANY training is pretty awesome. My buddy and the owner of the pheasant farm were amazed. BTW Kramers grandmother is "Uplands Maggie" 2011 world champion dual handler upland bird dog. So I guess some labs can upland hunt.....I have since bought a gun some training equipment and have taken Kramer and our older dog Dozer hunting at pheasant farms. They do pretty well for the lack of training. I think with the right lab and trainer it can do anything.
My golden was the same way. Took him to a game farm to see how he would do and he outperformed the game farm's trained dogs by a wide margin with 0 training. A good hunting dog knows what to do and is a joy to be with in the field. Mine came from a line of well bred hunting dogs. The only down side to goldens is heat and burr removal. That's why I recommend labs to my friends. They are just as good, if not better than goldens.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:42 AM
Minnow

I live in Michigan & I waiting on my female to come in heat (should be soon). I have an awesome male out of Indiana that I will be breeding my dog with. If interested let me know!
Old 12-15-2014, 04:52 PM
Keeper

If your looking for the best and don't mind spending the money to get one of the best, then I would recommend an imported finished trained British Lab from British Labradors.

http://www.britishlabradors.com/default.aspx
Old 12-17-2014, 08:27 AM
Minnow

Default New hunting dog

Gary B
Thanks for your response, I am still looking for a lab. Money does matter but I am looking for a quality dog and no I have to pay for it. I would like a puppy. I want the experience of raising and training it and I have a 7 year old daughter. I am wondering what you know about british labs I have heard great thing about them. They currently have over a one year wanting list.
Old 12-18-2014, 02:16 PM
Wallhanger

Default Check here for your lab puppy

http://www.holzingerkennels.com Give them a call. Terry is an old friend of mine and just about the best trainer in the country bar none. Wiredog
Old 12-20-2014, 03:12 PM
Wallhanger

See my pops about my lab pup. Just took another limit of pheasants today. She is a little over eight months old and from day two she has hunted as good as any dog I've been around of any breed. And she had zero training. I paid $400 for her. The breeder is here in ND. He has the mother and father and that's all he breeds. Not a mill. This dog just blows my mind. I think he only has a litter or two a year. But I could give you his name. I wouldn't trade this dog for anything.