Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Mx1825 skeeter comparison question - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 08-10-2014, 01:41 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by A & W Dad View Post
I think the lids on the skeeters flex more than my 2010 alumacraft. My wife said no way are we spending $40-50k on a boat that the bow looks like a trampoline when I walk around on it.
Really? I have seen you post this concern a couple of times. I have owned 2 Skeeters and haven't experienced what you are stating and I am bigger than you.
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2014, 01:42 PM
Minnow

I think a&w has lid envy lol
Old 08-10-2014, 01:52 PM
Wallhanger

Didn't mean to hijack with my previous post but A&W has posted this a couple of times and I have know clue as to what he is talking about because he is the only person that I have heard this from.

The MX line of Skeeters are very nice boats but for some of the waters you have listed I would really look at the WX line. Yes they have higher sidewalls but it isn't that big of a difference. They are great boats and the ReAct keel crushes waves and tracks very well. It is the major reason I traded my WX2100 for the WX2190 was for that keel. I have not any major issues in over 6 years of running Skeeters and they have been used a lot. For the record I came from a Lund 18'er and the fit and finish on the Skeeters lost nothing from the Lund.
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2014, 01:56 PM
Wallhanger

Smile

I think a&w has lid envy lol[/QUOTE]

That or he wants one and like he said his wife won't let him.
Old 08-10-2014, 04:19 PM
Keeper

No lid envy here, I have basically the same lids as a skeeter in my alumacraft, and in the alumacraft before that and the lund before that. They are a bent piece of aluminum with carpet covering them. The long ones have a channel of aluminum to add extra support, just like every aluminum boat. You dont notice the flex that much when you walk on it but if you sit in the cockpit you can really see it. I had a skeeter salesman call bs as well when I said they flex, then I had him sit in the cockpit as I walked around and he didnt have much to say afterwards. I have been in around 70 skeeters in the past 18 months from walker mn to spirit lake iowa and have see it in all of them.

Im not saying skeeters are bad boats or anything like. When I started looking for a new boat they were first on my list for quite a while and I'm still sure I would have been happy with them. I have a eye for details and little differences after stopping at every boat dealer ship I have drove by for the last year plus. The OP mentioned lids and I think this is an area where skeeter maybe a little weaker compared to another boat builder that uses solid fiberglass lids and better seals. This was not the only reason I didnt go skeeter but one of many little things I did not like.

I only mention my wife because she doesnt know a grady white from a coleman canoe, she doesnt get her undies in a bunch like everyone on this forum if someone makes a remark that my be taken slight against the boat builder of their choice. She does however take note of differences in quality, fit and finish, layout etc.. I wanted her to be happy with the new boat coming this winter. Enjoy your skeeters they are great boats.
Old 08-10-2014, 09:27 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldguy0722 View Post
I recently sold my 13 alumacraft trophy 175. Liked the boat but did not like the lack of control in wind, top speed of 35 and wetter ride on rough days. Last the doors for live wells/ storage areas had a lot of flex just felt chincy in my opinion.

My question is in a mx1825 am I gonna get a drier smoother ride that I think I will?

What is the finish in feeling of strength on the skeeter access doors?

Don't really want to go to a bigger boat (19 or bigger due to I usally just fish 3 guys max. And like a smaller boat for trailering and loading.

Lastly in 3 ft rollers if it turn the boat and drift with the waves am I gonna have waves coming over the gunnels due to sitting lower in the water.

Thanks guys
Just an FYI...Skeeter is suppose to release a new 19' WX model very soon.
Old 08-11-2014, 09:59 AM
Minnow

Went and looked at the mx and ex boats. ReAlly liked the layout of the mx might have to save a little and go to a 2025 for the rear casting deck extension or can you get that in a smaller boat?
Old 08-11-2014, 10:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldguy0722 View Post
the rear casting deck extension or can you get that in a smaller boat?
take a look at MuskyHunters and DD73's postings in this old thread. https://www.walleyecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=209753

HRG
Old 08-11-2014, 10:12 AM
Keeper

I have a MX 1825 I fish Green Bay and Winnebago all the time. THe MX handles 3-4 footers much better than you would think. It really is a great boat for 18ft.. Ive ridden in the wx1850 and the mx 1825 handles water in my opinion close to the same. The wx models really shine in big water as they get bigger. This spring I fished the Aim in may on Green Bay I was 40mi from the landing with north east winds and 3-4fters maybe alittle more at times.. We traveled this 40 mi without feeling like I was undersized and in danger. Yes the big guys could go faster and maybe alittle dryer. But It really was not that bad.. If you take it for what it is a 18ft boat and not a Bigger one It does really well. I believe you will be safe in everything you would want to be in. Ive gotten home in 5-6fters in the past.. Ya it sucked but it got us home. ( It fished good in the really Rough)
The boat fishes great, No one will disagree with this.. The boat is setup great and handles fishing speeds awesome.
Old 08-11-2014, 10:18 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by law651 View Post
I have a MX 1825 I fish Green Bay and Winnebago all the time. THe MX handles 3-4 footers much better than you would think. It really is a great boat for 18ft.. Ive ridden in the wx1850 and the mx 1825 handles water in my opinion close to the same. The wx models really shine in big water as they get bigger. This spring I fished the Aim in may on Green Bay I was 40mi from the landing with north east winds and 3-4fters maybe alittle more at times.. We traveled this 40 mi without feeling like I was undersized and in danger. Yes the big guys could go faster and maybe alittle dryer. But It really was not that bad.. If you take it for what it is a 18ft boat and not a Bigger one It does really well. I believe you will be safe in everything you would want to be in. Ive gotten home in 5-6fters in the past.. Ya it sucked but it got us home. ( It fished good in the really Rough)
The boat fishes great, No one will disagree with this.. The boat is setup great and handles fishing speeds awesome.
If you can afford a bigger boat by all means get a bigger boat. The 18fters were the biggest I could afford.

The rod holster is worth its weight in gold. I got 23 rods stored in this boat. 6 trolling rods in the side 6 leadcore in the middle 2 more spare trolling rods. And the rest of the rods a guy uses in a year.

Last edited by law651; 08-11-2014 at 10:21 AM.