Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
No plug no water-unbelieveable - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 09-08-2009, 07:58 AM
Slot Fish

Wink No plug no water-unbelieveable

Went fishing Sunday, fished 5 hours and when loading the boat discovered that the plug was out (remembered taking it out the last time I loaded to drain rain water.) Fishing in a 1860 Ranger Angler (which I just love) never even noticed any problem. How can this be? Fished out of a pro-v lund for years and know what would have happened in it.
Old 09-08-2009, 08:06 AM
Keeper

Assuming you have the screw out plug that hangs out of the hole with a plastic retainer. The water coming in will pull the plug up restricting flow. When you are running on plane, any water in the bilge will get sucked out. Of course, if you have an auto bilge, that took care of it.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:30 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Mn View Post
When you are running on plane, any water in the bilge will get sucked out. Of course, if you have an auto bilge, that took care of it.
Yes this is what I've found to be true also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2009, 09:52 AM
Charter Member

thats unless you have too much water to get on plane

wait a minute, you are saying your ranger did not take on any water with the plug out, but a lund would have ? WOW Ranger should make that a tv commercial LOL just kidding I am glad your boat didn't fill up and all is well.

Ranger makes a heck of a good boat............

Rebs

Last edited by rebs; 09-08-2009 at 09:55 AM.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:52 AM
Wallhanger

I'm reading it as the bilge didn't run as the original poster wrote that they didn't notice any problem. Don't know about you, but unless it's raining I would consider the auto bilge running (and visibly shooting water out of the back of the boat) a problem.

Yep, there is a plastic tab retainer on the plug but I doubt that would stop much water. If the plug was out, the hole was open (clear) and the boat was stationary in the water it should have taken on enough to have the auto bilge activate.

Mata - you might want to check to make sure that your auto bilge is functioning properly (not obstructed so it cannot auto activate, fuse is good, etc.). If you put the plug in and add some water to the bilge via the in-floor drain the auto bilge should activate.

Scott
Old 09-08-2009, 11:32 AM
Charter Member

Went fishing Sunday, fished 5 hours and when loading the boat discovered that the plug was out (remembered taking it out the last time I loaded to drain rain water.) Fishing in a 1860 Ranger Angler (which I just love) never even noticed any problem. How can this be? Fished out of a pro-v lund for years and know what would have happened in it.

I must be missing something about a bilge pump, he doesn't say the bilge was running, just says he didn't notice any problem. I think he was saying that no water got in the boat with the plug out.

Rebs
Old 09-08-2009, 11:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mata View Post
and now, for a word from our sponsor,,,,,,,,,,,,

Maybe it's got a drain plug inserted from the inside of the transom, and you've been putting the extra drain plug in one of the livewell ports? C'mon, 5 hours and no noticable water, or the auto bilge pump not shooting a stream out the side??
HRG
Old 09-08-2009, 01:13 PM
Keeper

I agree. I'm not doubting that this happened, but there must be something else to this story. I've never seen a bilge pump that can keep up with a "lack of plug" very long. Any busy holiday afternoon at the launch ramp provides good evidence of this.

I'll bet this boat has a ball scupper or something on the other end of the drain tube.
Old 09-08-2009, 03:27 PM
Wallhanger

Did that in my 1850 one day. Pulled out, went back to do all the things to road ready. Noticed I hadn't put the plug in that morning. A lady on the ramp beside me just laughed and said; Bet you won't do that again. Wife and I fished all day, never noticed any thing different. Dang thing peed water for long time, even with the bilge pump running.
I hardly ever see water come out when I pull the plug unless it has rained or I didn't put the plug in the ice box.
My bilge pump is manual only. I guess automatic is optional on these cheap rangers
Old 09-10-2009, 04:35 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by angler53 View Post
Did that in my 1850 one day. Pulled out, went back to do all the things to road ready. Noticed I hadn't put the plug in that morning. A lady on the ramp beside me just laughed and said; Bet you won't do that again. Wife and I fished all day, never noticed any thing different. Dang thing peed water for long time, even with the bilge pump running.
I hardly ever see water come out when I pull the plug unless it has rained or I didn't put the plug in the ice box.
My bilge pump is manual only. I guess automatic is optional on these cheap rangers
I mostly fish the banks on rivers and lakes for pan fish. I'm moving with the trolling motor and I would guess that that may prevent much water from getting in if the plug is out.

Oh, and when I said "these cheap rangers" I was implying that the reata is the lower end of the ranger price spectrum. Got to be careful what I say, you know.