Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Fireline issues - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 05-19-2010, 09:12 AM
Charter Member

Default Fireline issues

Hey all!

Had a weird issue occur today. Brand spankin new fireline 6/2 on the reel. When setting the hook the line is breaking or pulling out the knot. I have been using fireline since it first came out and have NEVER had this happen. I am wondering if there is something goofed up with this spool of line.

Just to see I tied on another hook, hooked the zipper fob on my big ol tackle bag and set the hook. 3 times it seems the knot pulled and once the knot and tag end stayed on the hook eye but the line to the rod had separated from the rest of the knot. I tie the same knot as I have always used and am really perplexed as to what is going on.

Needless to say the 3 bass that I buried hooks into were not amused and neither was I. I am fishing, not wounding and maiming.

And before you say it, I am sure it was not because I was fishing for bass....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2010, 09:28 AM
Minnow

What knot are you tying?
Old 05-19-2010, 09:52 AM
Keeper

You may want to try the palomer knot if you haven't tried it. It seems to hold really well with braid. It's a bit of a line waster, and not my favorite knot to tie, but it doesn't slip on me with braid, even with 5/1 power pro.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2010, 11:13 AM
Charter Member

http://www.fish4fun.com/palomarknot.htm

Palamor knot all of the way.
Take care
REW
Old 05-19-2010, 11:51 AM
Charter Member

Hey all!

The palomar knot is the one that broke at the hook eye. The knot I usually tie is sort of a reverse clinch knot sort of thing. I have been using that knot on fireline since the mid 90's when Ron Bergman showed it to me.

That is why I was curious/perplexed at this mornings events.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:22 PM
Minnow

Default No answer for you

Boy... I can't say I've got a solution for you. Maybe run some line out and try again??? Maybe there is a manufacturing issue. It's a great line and a great knot. Wish I could be of more help.

Adam C.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nofish View Post
Hey all!

Had a weird issue occur today. Brand spankin new fireline 6/2 on the reel. When setting the hook the line is breaking or pulling out the knot. I have been using fireline since it first came out and have NEVER had this happen. I am wondering if there is something goofed up with this spool of line.

Just to see I tied on another hook, hooked the zipper fob on my big ol tackle bag and set the hook. 3 times it seems the knot pulled and once the knot and tag end stayed on the hook eye but the line to the rod had separated from the rest of the knot. I tie the same knot as I have always used and am really perplexed as to what is going on.

Needless to say the 3 bass that I buried hooks into were not amused and neither was I. I am fishing, not wounding and maiming.

And before you say it, I am sure it was not because I was fishing for bass....

I would be using 10/4 and you will not have that problem for sure.
NPAA #499
Old 05-19-2010, 12:39 PM
Wallhanger

[quote=eye-hunter;1201922]You may want to try the palomer knot if you haven't tried it. quote]

Yep.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:18 PM
Charter Member

I've had success with an improved clinch knot, first double wrapped around the hook eye.

Bill Krejca
Old 05-19-2010, 01:19 PM
Slot Fish

Also just spolled up a "new" reel with 10/4 fireline for trolling & had two fish breakoff. Not big fish but decent eaters (18"). I use th polymer knot which has not failed before, i know it was the line since it broke in the middle between the crank & boat. The first time I tried the Crystal line, I had issues w/weak line so switched back to the smoke even tough it's supposed to be the same line w/color. This is the first time I have had this happen with the smoke. Anyone else having this line seemingly break way too easy ? Bad spool ?