Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Can I keep chest freezer outside? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 05-09-2006, 08:02 PM
Shawns

Default Can I keep chest freezer outside?

I have a older chest freezer it is to big for the house, (i dont have enough room) so can I keep this out side by the house without having to worry about it shorting out? It wasent desinged for outdoors but Ive heard of it done before.
Old 05-09-2006, 09:05 PM

Default RE: Can I keep chest freezer outside?

[font color=green size=3][b]
How do you think you'll feel when a neighbor kid crawls inside and suficates because he can't get out?

Wish'in I was fish'in on Wabby
Old 05-09-2006, 09:31 PM
Yup

I have friends that do that. I assume you want to keep food in it and keep it operational.

Keep it locked. That way no one can get into it if you don't want them in there (kids, theives, etc.)

Get a plug that cannot be disconnected outside the house. My friend's ex-husband pulled the plug on her porch freezer as an act of revenge and everything in it spoiled. Not nice, but then neither was he, which is why she divorced him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2006, 10:45 PM
Charter Member

Keep it under an awning, in the garage, on the porch, wherever it will be out of the weather and direct sunlight.
Old 05-10-2006, 01:02 AM
Wallhanger

I've have a small one under a covered patio for our year round barbeque's and use it for the kids and their friends to use year round. In the summer we keep it stocked with, My Fish, Steaks, Hamburgers, Hot dogs. For the kids and their friends we keep it stocked with ice pops, Icecream and cool treats. Neighborhood kids think we're the coolest parents on the planet. I've had it out there for 3 years ( including during winter minus zero temps) with no problems. I also refurbed an old coca cola soda pop cooler and placed in the under patio, everyone loves that thing. As someone mentioned eariler, the key is to make sure any outdoor appliance has a permanent power source. An extension cord will eventually get unplugged. We learned the hard way, and now have everything hard wired.

Old 05-10-2006, 07:17 AM
GF

Bought a new one was inside for 2 years then went outside for 20 years, then sold it and person who has it is still using 8 years later. They say they are not designed for outside, my thought was they last longer and run less, just my 2 cents.
Old 05-10-2006, 09:52 AM
gunn

What about keeping a small fridge plugged in during the winter in my garage. It is not heated and the temp may drop as low as -30. Will the cold temps cause the fridge any problems or should I unplug it for the winter?
Old 05-10-2006, 10:11 AM
GF

IF you have stuff in it, that will freeze, Pop machines as an example you see outside actually have a light bulb thermostatically controlled or some type of heat to prevent freezing, and keep a constant temp.
Old 05-10-2006, 01:29 PM
Keeper

It can be hard on the compressor trying to start up at low temps (oil is of a weight that is intended for 50 to 80 degrees) and the newer units have wimpy motors compared to the units made in the 50's-70's.
Old 05-10-2006, 02:19 PM
Hawg

If fishing is slow saturday lets all head for FisHn's house!