Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Help killing ground bees/wasps - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 09-01-2008, 03:58 PM
D-dog

Default Help killing ground bees/wasps

I got a Wicked nest of little yellow gound bees. These things are the meanest bees I've ever come across. They sting first and ask questions later. I've been stung 3 times so far. Girlfriend stung twice and had to go to doctor. I sprayed a whole can of Black Flag wasp/bee killer on there hole in the ground. Then poured about two cups of some Sevin/water insect killer stuff down the hole. Came back two days later and they have a new hole two feet from old hole which is still active. Problem is, They are so pi$$ed off now I can't get within 30 feet of the swarm an they attack. These things are really starting to spook me. Help!
Thanks guys
Old 09-01-2008, 04:13 PM
Wallhanger

Wait until it cools down at night . They are inactive in the cooler temps . Take a can of ether (starting fluid) and shoot it directly into the hole . About 5 seconds worth will completely wipe out everything inside .
Old 09-01-2008, 04:37 PM
Charter Member

What state are you in?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2008, 05:46 PM
Charter Member

If you know where their hole is and you can access it with a lawn mower it's an easy fix! Best bet is early in the morning before they start getting real active. Lower your lawn mower to it's lowest setting, start it up, adjust the motor speed to wide open making sure you use a cord or something to tie back the safety blade release so the blades stay running. Push the mower quickly to the location and directly over the nest hole. This really works best if you have a mulching mower, but typical side discharge works well too if you keep the discharge chute the furthest point from their hole. They hate the noise and vibration and will come swarming out only to be met by a mower blade with which they will lose to. Usually about 30 minutes and it'll be all over and done. The ground under the mower will be covered in black and yellow as will the underside of the mower, but you will eliminate the pests for good. I've used this technique several times and had 100% success with it.
Old 09-01-2008, 05:52 PM
Charter Member

Hawker,

Thought I had heard of everything before.

Great idea.
Old 09-02-2008, 04:34 PM
Wallhanger

HAWKER, you are a genious!!!
Old 07-28-2013, 11:07 PM
Keeper

Default Mow 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker View Post
If you know where their hole is and you can access it with a lawn mower it's an easy fix! Best bet is early in the morning before they start getting real active. Lower your lawn mower to it's lowest setting, start it up, adjust the motor speed to wide open making sure you use a cord or something to tie back the safety blade release so the blades stay running. Push the mower quickly to the location and directly over the nest hole. This really works best if you have a mulching mower, but typical side discharge works well too if you keep the discharge chute the furthest point from their hole. They hate the noise and vibration and will come swarming out only to be met by a mower blade with which they will lose to. Usually about 30 minutes and it'll be all over and done. The ground under the mower will be covered in black and yellow as will the underside of the mower, but you will eliminate the pests for good. I've used this technique several times and had 100% success with it.
Love it! Those little (expletive) stung my dog in 3 places, and ever since then, they've been on my (expletive) list. Will try it next time
Old 09-01-2008, 09:33 PM
Big Bob the Fisherman

Default Killin' bees

I JUST had the same kind of issue... I got 'em, though!

I waited 'till dark (while the darn things were sleeping) and then spraying a can of bee spray/killer into the hole, and then ran a hose at a trickle into the hole for about an hour. The bee spray killed the close-to-the-hole bees, then the tricking water carried the rest of the bee spray in to the nest and soaked their little hive. I'm sure the rest drowned.

I haven't see hive nor hair (get it? HIVE nor hair!) of them for a week and a half now.

Big Bob
Old 09-02-2008, 12:05 AM
Charter Member

If your little yellow bees are yellow jackets, like the kind so prevalent in my area, there is a sure way to get rid of them. Mark their hole in the ground with a cup or anything that will stay near the hole. Wait until after dark when all the bees have returned to their nest in the ground. They will be inactive after dark and you can go to their hole and pour a couple cups of gasoline into the hole. Problem solved!

If you try to poison their hole in the daytime you will miss killing most of them because they will be out of the nest doing whatever bees do in the daytime.

Jack
Old 09-02-2008, 12:40 AM
Wallhanger

Default Here you go.........

First run for your life.

Next..........you are going to have to move.

Good luck. I'm allergic to those pieces of crap.