Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Trolling Crawler Harnesses - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 07-07-2004, 07:19 PM
Orange Whip

Default Trolling Crawler Harnesses

I've never trolled with one until this past weekend. About 15 boat's were trolling harnesses in this big bay that I fish. Shallow water, 3-7 feet deep, light weed growth.

I put out a silver hatchet blade with a power worm and caught a 25 incher in the first minute. I was happy. Nothing after.

My question is this. No weight on the harness about 60 feet back? Is this the proper way to troll harnesses? Should I have a weight on considering how deep it is? Should I use a planner board? Should I have it farther back or closer?

I'd sure appreciate some help as to how you would fish this bay.

Thanks alot!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2004, 07:58 PM
Keeper

Default RE: Trolling Crawler Harnesses

I have been pulling a lot of harnesses here in Wisconsin lately. In that shallow of water I would probably run a #3 split shot in front of the harness. (My harnesses are 6 feet long for this application.) I would run something like 15 feet, 20 feet 30 feet of line out in 7 feet of water. I also would run boards to get the harnesses away from the boat. Oh yeah, a 1/8oz keel weight works well in this situation also.

In deeper water I would start playing with snap weights, in line weights and bottom bouncers. A 1 oz weight let out 20 feet will go down about 10ft. Basically whatever line out you run the depth will be half, with a 1 oz weight.

Hope this helps some.

Jon Piette NPAA #294
Old 07-07-2004, 08:36 PM
Orange Whip

From what it sounds like Jonny I don't have to let that much line out.

Can I use a line counter reel with 10lb test?

Thanks for your reply
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2004, 08:53 PM
wolfwalleye

Thats the best way to do it.Running that shallow of water you dont need any weight really play with the line out for the depth your running.If your going to start using split shots ,stick with one size then you get a feel for how deep they run and pretty quick you wont even think about how much line to run back youll just do it.
Old 07-08-2004, 06:06 AM
Charter Member

OW,

Splitshot will work well. Another way I have done this in exactly the type of waters you are describing is to use 1/8 or 1/4 oz bullet sinkers (bass worm weights) ahead of the spinner.

Tim
Old 07-08-2004, 06:46 PM
Orange Whip

Thanks for the help