Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Walkie-talkies in Canada - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 08-23-2016, 08:08 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarcraft91 View Post
Our walkie-talkies have both FRS and GMRS capability, so we probably have more than 1/16th mile range.
I suggest using GMRS channels as they will provide the best communications via higher power output (5 Watts) and wider RF channel bandwidth (25 kHz) compared the FRS (0.5 Watts and 12.5 kHz).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2016, 08:44 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
The typical non business walkie talkie only has line of sight communication that is good for about 1/4 mile.

Normally, not good in mountains, brush or terrain with heavy vegetation.

We had a several pairs of typical consumer style walkie talkies on an ice fishing trip.

We were using it over the ice, so every where we had line of sight transmission.

Generally we found them to be good up to about 1/16th of a mile and now and then would work up to an 1/8th of mile over clear level ice with nothing in the way.

We have used them a lot when we were at a resort or cabin and want to talk from the cabin to the dock. Ideal for this sort of shorter range communication.

Good luck

1/4 mile?? Maybe 30 years ago with your Johnnie Quest setup. The newest motorola models today that operate on FRS (GMRS) can go 20-30 or more miles (advertised to do so). On a lake with line of site you will max out the distance per the owners manual. In wooded terrain it drops, but we use our 10 year old ones up to a two miles all the time when in Arizona hill country.
Old 08-24-2016, 04:20 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalwapiti View Post
1/4 mile?? Maybe 30 years ago with your Johnnie Quest setup. The newest motorola models today that operate on FRS (GMRS) can go 20-30 or more miles (advertised to do so). On a lake with line of site you will max out the distance per the owners manual. In wooded terrain it drops, but we use our 10 year old ones up to a two miles all the time when in Arizona hill country.
The new radios are definitely better than 1/4 mile in range. I have no idea where the manufacturers come up with the ranges they advertise but I usually find that if you cut the advertised range in half it is about right.

P.s. If you know who Johnny Quest was does that make you old?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2016, 04:31 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyguns View Post
I suggest using GMRS channels as they will provide the best communications via higher power output (5 Watts) and wider RF channel bandwidth (25 kHz) compared the FRS (0.5 Watts and 12.5 kHz).
If I'm reading the Canadian regs correctly, using GMRS at 5 watt power might require a Canadian license, although where we are going it's not likely anyone will care. These Motorola FV200 series radios have 3 types of channels, FRS, GMRS and GMRS/FRS. We'll try each to see what works. Found an ad saying these radios have 5 mile range. My partner can speak for himself, but I'm not chasing any bird that far.

As an added feature, the antennas have the Dodge Ram symbol printed on them. I'll see if I can find Johnny Quest stickers to cover that up.

Last edited by yarcraft91; 08-24-2016 at 04:39 AM.
Old 08-24-2016, 04:43 AM
Wallhanger

Watch out for the walkie talkie radio police in Canada. They like to hide in the highest trees in the forest but I also heard they are having trouble finding the forest because of all the trees........

Just remember, EVERYTHING is illegal in Canada and you should be good to go......
Lowrance HDS7 Gen 2 Touch unit networked to a LMS 520c
Lowrance Engine Interface cable
Minn Kota Power Drive V2 US2 now with i-Pilot
Custom designed and built rod holders
Custom designed and built down rigger platforms
All towed with my Trusty G2 '07 Toyota Tundra
Old 08-24-2016, 04:51 AM
Wallhanger

As long as the border guards don't ask about the radios, we should be OK. We'll have ammo and beer, so once we say "yes" to those questions, they'll probably be satisfied.
Old 08-24-2016, 08:19 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
The typical non business walkie talkie only has line of sight communication that is good for about 1/4 mile.

Normally, not good in mountains, brush or terrain with heavy vegetation.

We had a several pairs of typical consumer style walkie talkies on an ice fishing trip.

We were using it over the ice, so every where we had line of sight transmission.

Generally we found them to be good up to about 1/16th of a mile and now and then would work up to an 1/8th of mile over clear level ice with nothing in the way.

We have used them a lot when we were at a resort or cabin and want to talk from the cabin to the dock. Ideal for this sort of shorter range communication.

Good luck

We used to bring them up every trip in the 1990s and they worked distances far exceeding the numbers you are suggesting. Regular walkie talkies bought at the store. Worked for a couple of miles easy, probably alot more(we never checked exactly how far), even with islands and points in the way.
Old 08-24-2016, 11:22 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarcraft91 View Post
I was given a pair of walkie-talkies for helping to run a skeet shooting event. I thought I might take them to Canada for my hunting trip next month to keep in contact with my hunting partner.

Given all the ways governments help us, I wonder if anyone on this board has experience with the legal requirements for operating walkie-talkies in Canada. Is it any different than in the USA, as in, no license required?
Check the hunting regs. In Minnesota a person cannot use them to take game. As in "hey get ready there's a deer coming your way". There may also be laws about using them while driving a vehicle. I know you cannot use a cell phone while driving.
Old 08-24-2016, 05:43 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellpastcold View Post

P.s. If you know who Johnny Quest was does that make you old?
Heck ya, I'm old, Hodji.
Old 08-25-2016, 09:06 AM
Keeper

I have real cheap 22 channel walkie talkies and they do fine where I go moose hunting. They are rated for about a 4 mile radius. You don't need any licences to use gmrs or frs walkie talkies in Canada. You can buy more powerful walkie talkies (about 80 dollars) that have a 30 mile (50 km) radius.