Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
shocks on a trailer - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers and Tow Vehicles

Old 02-16-2012, 02:48 PM
Wallhanger

Default shocks on a trailer

Why don't they put shocks on a trailer? Seems it would give a better ride for the boat and all the electronics inside etc. I've seen them on some old old trailers but nothing newer.

I know my trailer with the torsion axle sure is bouncey, wish it was springs like my last one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2012, 04:22 PM
Wallhanger

Me too I wonder why.
Monroe has some:

http://www.monroeheavyduty.com/produ...rofit_kits.asp
Old 02-16-2012, 04:38 PM
Wallhanger

Shocks are made to be water resistant, not water proof. Dunking them would shorten their lives.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2012, 04:38 PM
Wallhanger

With the weight varations on 1 boat it would be almost impossiable to get a shock that would work. Take a boat with a hull wieght (dry) of 900 lbs., then you add all the goodies how much will it wiegh?

1.) gas 8.2 lbs/gal 20 gal = 164 lbs.
2.) 1 battery or 2 or 3, 24 or 27 or 31 series 40 to 350 lbs.
3.) trolling motor or none
4.) kicker or kicker

And the list goes on. The dealers would have to set the trailer up for the proper wieght and then you add 300 to 400 pounds to the boat the shocks will be to weak. Now you take wieght away and the shocks are to heavy not as much of a problem as to light. If shocks are to light then you run the risk of fish tailing. Just my .02
Old 02-16-2012, 05:20 PM
Charter Member

trailers are designed so the springs take the weight of the load in order to work properly.

thats why an unloaded trailer bounces around and rides poorly until you put weight in it and let the springs do the work

Shocks are unnecessary if the springs are matched to the weight of the load and are not used and this saves on costs of the trailer

Dad shot the little fellow.

Mary had a little pig.
Her father shot it dead.
Now it goes to school with her,
Between two hunks of bread.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:58 PM
Wallhanger

I respectfully disagree with a few of these posts. Being fairly into autos, including a master technician, and racing atv's off road since '87 I doubt that shocks are water resistant only. Most shocks worth their weight are gas filled, nothing leaks in or out until the shock seal is shot. I'm sure a dunking at the ramp is fine for a quality shock. Certainly no worse than dunking a warm spindle/hub assembly.
As far as weight, what about trucks, even just a pickup truck can experience great weight fluctuations not to mention big trucks. I do agree those do ride differently loaded or unloaded. But that should be able to be solved somewhat with a progressive rate shock. They still control the bouncingand the ride changes more due to the spring being more compressed with the added weight.

A shock carries no weight, it just dampens the spring compression and rebound and returns things to the neutral position quicker, takes out the bounce.

I don't know, just sounds like it could work to me. Not that there couldn't be issues.

Does anyone know if a torsion axle trailer has any type of break in?
Old 02-16-2012, 08:36 PM
Wallhanger

My late father had an old boat whose trailer had shock absorbers. I don't recall the brand name, but it was built in Arkansas. I suppose the friction of leaf springs kind of minimizes the need for shocks, but I suspect it's a $ saving for the trailer manufacturer.
Old 02-17-2012, 03:41 AM
Charter Member

all I am saying is if the springs are properly sized to the rated load of the trailer shocks aren't necessary since the load weight and the springs are counteracting on each other which negates the need for shocks in most cases.

And yes, my Super Duty does ride smoother with a load in the bed.

Dad shot the little fellow.

Mary had a little pig.
Her father shot it dead.
Now it goes to school with her,
Between two hunks of bread.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:30 AM
Wallhanger

I totally agree they are not needed, they aren't in a car really either, you can take them off and drive the car, it's just not fun when you get seasick on the road when the springs never stopping springing! And you could go out of control in a car. Ever see a car on the higway with their shocks shot, kinda funny.

I'm just saying it would add some dampening, its all for comfort and protection, take the shock out of the potholes or help stop the bouncing that can start on certain sections of concrete freeways. It would of course add cost and not everyone would want them. I guess I was just thinking about it when I trailered the other day after not doing it for a while and the bouncing torsion axle bugs me, still not used to it. Maybe when I refill the 45 gallon gas tank it will be better.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:01 PM
Wallhanger

I know that Triton used to offer shocks as an option on their trailers but don`t know if they still do. Don`t know how you would put them on a rubber torsion axle. But they do bounce more than a spring axle. Wiredog