Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Tow with cover on or cover off? - Page 5 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers and Tow Vehicles

Old 07-31-2013, 06:20 PM
Keeper

I always use my cover on the way up to Canada but not on the way back. Going up we need the room so we store stuff in the boat so I like it covered. Going home we have enough room in the back of the truck for everything. Going topless also helps dry out the wet (from a week of hard fishing) boat and it sure smells a lot better when we get home. It also saves time at the US border crossing where we cross.

I'll add that I use a Lund travel cover (got it super cheap with the boat) but the first thing I did was to install sockets and fiberglass bows. I also fasten a rope from bow to stern wrapping it around the center of each bow. This keeps the cover tight as a drum and prevents any flapping, flapping does bad things to paint. It also keeps any rain water from pooling on top of the cover.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2013, 08:23 PM
Minnow

I have a 2013 lund rebel 1650 xl ss that came with the snap on cover. I am torn on whether to use this cover while trailering. The technician that when over things with me before leaving said not to as it will pull the snaps loose. Then shortly after the sales manager came out and asked if the tech had gone over using the cover. I told him yes, and that he had recommended not towing with it on. The sales manager said that was bs, and that I would have no problem using it for towing. I looked in the lund owners manual and it says not to tow with it. So, needless to say I am confused! lol Any input is welcome!
Old 08-30-2013, 10:23 PM
Minnow

One thing not mentioned - towing with the cover on will definitely shorten the life expectancy of your cover - it stresses the material and especially the stitching. Will also rub holes in any contact points even with backing.

If your getting ballooning, you need better vents in the cover.

I've been thru 2 covers, so I usually just tow without now - can't put anything water will harm in the boat - while on the road I never leave my boat where I can't see it - too many scumbags around these days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2013, 10:48 PM
Wallhanger

I tow with mine on. Nothing special, but I do think it saves fuel.
Old 08-31-2013, 09:27 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
Mark,
You say that bleach will destroy the seams.

Where did you get the information that says that bleach will destroy the seams?

wondering.
Actually I miss spoke. It's the stitching that would suffer. The people that made my cover told me that. I believe it, because of what bleach starts to do with my underware after a bit... LOL !
Old 09-16-2013, 09:05 AM
Minnow

i tow with the mooring cover on, it as felt inside. I added some protection for the front too, its a cover with felt stripe in it, so it dont sand the gel coat and its a good protection for rock.

all the strap down tie as protection over it (the dealer ran the boat to a show without it and they sanded the gelcoat.

To date, no damage what so ever due to the cover, but i have just maybe 5-600 km traveled with the boat on asphalt road and maybe 100 on gravel road.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (12).JPG
Views:	267
Size:	174.1 KB
ID:	51314  
Old 05-19-2014, 12:20 PM
Wallhanger

I have a factory Lund cover but never use it, too much trouble to install (i have dual windshields and a Fortrex). But i hate sitting on wet seats so i bought seat covers from BPS and they work great. Your boat should be waterproof, so a quick hose down at home gets my boat ready to dry in my garage.