Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Was at the dealership talking engines yesterday... - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 03-22-2012, 10:35 AM
Charter Member

It's all opinions.

Ours
His
Yours

However........it's your money. Do your own research and buy what you are comfortable with. Relying on someone else to spend your money isn't the way to go. I understand the point of your question. But you won't get a straight unbiased answer here either.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2012, 11:14 AM
Keeper

Wanna start an arguement on the internet? Post your opinion.....and wait.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchboy View Post
It's all opinions.

Ours
His
Yours

However........it's your money. Do your own research and buy what you are comfortable with. Relying on someone else to spend your money isn't the way to go. I understand the point of your question. But you won't get a straight unbiased answer here either.
oh you cant say that...

here is a straight unbiased answer:

I dont know.

Dad shot the little fellow.

Mary had a little pig.
Her father shot it dead.
Now it goes to school with her,
Between two hunks of bread.
Old 03-22-2012, 12:23 PM
Keeper

waiting for bell.
Old 03-22-2012, 12:36 PM
Wallhanger

I agree, he probably has the highest margin, or the highest inventory of Suzuki motors. I had a dealer tell me that he sells more Honda's than any of the brands. He went on to say that he likes that, beacause he never see's the motor again. Mine spent 13 weeks in the 2 years that I owned it in his shop. They can all make a lemon!
Old 03-22-2012, 03:32 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by colt100 View Post
and what they said sort of surprised me. They sell mercury, evinrude, Yamaha, and Suzuki engines. While looking at my next boat while I was getting some service done on my current boat (non-engine related BTW), I started talking engines with the sales guy.

What really surprised me was how hard they were pushing Suzuki engines. I was told that out of about 1100 sold in the past 5-6 years, they have had 13 warranty issues come up. They also told me that they really don't recommend the e-tec because of all the warrant issues they have had with them. I have an e-tec and love mine and was thinking of going up from a 40 to a 150 on my next boat. They told me that they have had problems with the e-tecs in the 60-115 HP range but haven't had many problems with anything over 115. Of course, the sales guy told me that they have only sold one 150 in the past 5 years. That really surprised me.

The sales guys were recommending suzuki first, yamaha's second. the mercury optimax was their first choice if you wished to stick with a 2 stroke. I was told that the optimax has hardly had any warranty problems in their experience. They did say to stay far away from the 4 stroke mercs though as they have many warranty issues with them.

Not trying to start a war or anything but what do you guys think? I know Suzuki makes smaller engines but I have been starting to see them pop up on boats from time to time. Are they as good as these guys are saying?
Colt I'm going to hang out on a limb here and take a guess....Wild River Sport in Trego? I bought an Alumacraft with a Zuki 90 from them two years ago. Was supposed to get a Yamaha but they were having trouble getting one. So...I ended up with the Zuki and got pretty much the same pitch...same numbers...and guess what. I was very very happy with that motor. Never once had any issue with it whatsover although I only put about 175 hours on it in 2 years. If I had to say something bad about it I would say that WOT noise is slightly more than an Opti. Up until WOT it's very quiet. Lots of guts too.
That aside I see 4 stroke Mercs all the time and will have a v-rod in a couple weeks. I don't hear any more bad things about them than any other brand. So whatever you get, break it in according to the manual. Perform the prescribed maintenance and treat it nice and unless you get a lemon, which happens with any brand, you'll be fine.
Mega 360, Mega Live
Ezee Steps
Cannon Rod Tubes, Traxstech tracks
TKI CNC angle track mounts
Lithium TM Bats w/shunt gauge
Old 03-22-2012, 03:46 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lund Man View Post
Very common. My local dealers tell me they make most of their money on Etec warranty work alone. They love them. It's their bread and butter.
Weird, my local dealer told me the same thing about every other brand of motor and Lund boats.
If your line of crap were true it would be the first time I ever heard a dealership of any kind being happy about warranty work. Warranty work means unhappy customers and generally doesn't pay enough for the time a tech has invested.
Matter of fact from what I was told a dealer doesn't actually get paid for warranty work, what they do get is a credit toward future parts orders.

Quote from Rob Olson
Delta Waterfowl President
Old 03-22-2012, 07:31 PM
Wallhanger

If you want real opinions on outboards talk to marine techs and not salesman. After my 3rd trip in (less than a year old) I talked to the tech and he leveled with me on my motor. Etec was gone shortly there after and I bought a Zuki. Best motor I have ever owned. 2nd best was my Evinrude 4 stroke 50hp....made by Suzuki. I was always an Evinrude person until that etec.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:08 PM
Wallhanger

Default For sure they make more on suzuki

Might even have secret kickbacks for every 10 they sell. New suzuki is fine motor while old ones not that great.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:56 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by phowler View Post
Weird, my local dealer told me the same thing about every other brand of motor and Lund boats.
If your line of crap were true it would be the first time I ever heard a dealership of any kind being happy about warranty work. Warranty work means unhappy customers and generally doesn't pay enough for the time a tech has invested.
Matter of fact from what I was told a dealer doesn't actually get paid for warranty work, what they do get is a credit toward future parts orders.
Good point Phowler!!! Whatever said dealer isn't selling is always junk I guess! I don't have a lot of faith in dealers talk about other manufacturers as being "junk" instead of telling me why their product is good. If you sell a good product, then sell that. Don't bad mouth everyone elses stuff.