Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Using lead core trolling line - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Members Fishing Reports

Old 01-02-2003, 07:17 PM
walli

Default Using lead core trolling line

I am thinking about using lead core trolling line on lakes this year
But I have a few questions I hope some one can help me with. How much line do you need to fish in 40 ft. of water,How much line can you put on a Diawa trolling reel, How much of a leader from line to lure and
How much line do you let out to go down to 20 40 60 ft.
Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2003, 01:30 AM
Slot Fish

Default RE: Using lead core trolling line

i use a fifty foot leader at the end of the lead core. i have always been told{and it seems pretty accurate} trolling around 2 to 2.5 mph lead should run about 6 feet deep per color. if you are marking fish and not catching any, let out another color or reel in a color until you start to catch some. then you can determine just how many feet per color you are getting. i don't know about your reel, but you can get 8 colors on a penn 209. hope this helps!

greg
Old 01-03-2003, 07:53 AM
Leadman

I have heard of guys going with both a 50ft leader and a 25 ft.. The best thing to do is to simply experiment. I started using leadcore this past fall and love it! It is neat to fish that deep.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2003, 11:24 AM
greatplains

Speed really affects the depth that leadcore runs due to its bulk. As a general rule, 27# at 1.7mph drops one foot for every six foot out. Faster, less drop, slower more. Really excited about the new 12#. Should get about a foot for every 4' out. I use lead in the rivers contour fishing more than in lakes. I only use a 8-10' leader. More precise presentation with the shorter leader.
Keep iy vertical.
Old 01-03-2003, 12:22 PM
Charter Member

Lead is so speed sensitive that the best thing would be to learn through experimentation. Let it out till it hits bottom, then crank it up a bit, and you'll have your number. My baseline is 100 feet of lead (including 15 foot leader) will run about 18 feet at about 1.8 mph, with a #5 shad rap. At 2.0-2.2 mph you need about another 50 feet of lead out, to hit the same depth. Experimenting is the key. Also do a search here on WC, there have been many discussions about leadcore in the past, and you may find them helpful.

Dusty
Old 01-04-2003, 04:38 PM
jim

I used lead core line twice. My frind brought a reel with some on it. The first time we went out it out performed both down riggers with no leader. The next week we went out I put 3 foot leader on and did good . My boat trolls fast 2.5 to 3 mph. I use stinger spoons on downs & bombers with rattles built in on lead core 55 to 60 feet. We caught some nice walleyes 12 to 14 lbs off the bottum of Lake Erie.

Old 01-04-2003, 04:59 PM
Keeper

Hey Jim, drop me an email if you would please? I have some questions about spoons but I hate to take up all the space here & look to stupid. Thanks Pat rangerpat01@yahoo.com