Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
How do you use Lindy no snagg rigs? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 07-31-2003, 08:08 PM
Flash

Default How do you use Lindy no snagg rigs?

and under what conditions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2003, 07:21 AM
Juls_OH

Default RE: How do you use Lindy no snagg rigs?

If your question is: How do you set it up? Then I can tell you that I put a Lindy Quick Change clevis (longer black ones) on the line first. The No-Snagg is attached to the clevis. This allows me to change the weight size whenever I want.
Then a bead is next, a bobber-stop, and then a teeny tiny bead above the hook (the teeny tiny bead is just my preference, but not neccessary). This set up allows me to change the length of my leader without having to retie everytime. In clearer water, I will use a longer leader (8'-12'), and in stained water, I shorten it up (4'-6').

If your question is: How do I use it? Then I can tell you that I usually let the line out till the weight hits bottom, put my finger on the line, and lift it until I'm just off the bottom, and hold it there. I move the rod back and down from time to time to make sure I'm still in contact, or just off the bottom. I may need to take line up, or let more line out to acheive this. I keep the bail open, so that if I feel a bite, I can drop the line immediately, to give the fish time to "eat" the bait. I usually count to 45, close the bail, and take the line up slowly until I feel the pressure of the fish, and then I set the hook.
Under what conditions do I use this rig? Usually when a trolling bite is tough, and the fish want a slower presentation. Or, when the fish are on the bottom and not suspended in the water column.

Hope this helps. If not, I'm know there are plenty of great live bait anglers that visit here, that will be able to help you more.

Have a good day!

Juls
Old 08-01-2003, 09:25 AM
Ric

Do you count to 45 or 4-5? 45 seconds and the hook would be firmly imbedded in the fish's stomach. Probably a typo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2003, 12:19 PM
Juls_OH

Not a typo.
Depends on the bite really. There have been times where I have counted to 45 (not 4-5) and still had the hook barely in the fishes mouth. There have been times where I knew I could set the hook immediately upon feeling the bite, and the fish had it in its belly already. There is no perfect count, or magic number.
Now, of course, I won't always count to 45 if it's a strong bite, but that is what I start out with, and adjust from there.

Juls
Old 08-01-2003, 12:56 PM
T-Mac

I use them on my dead rod. I also use them whenever I am "rigging" (finesse situation) livebait. This can work well at times when fish have been heavily pressured and faster, less subtle techniques spook the fish. I use them anytime I would have previously used a lindy sinker. That being S L O W presentations, for the most part..
I use them with a Phelps floater.
I use them with a "prop".
I use them with a floater/Smile blade presentation.
I like them. They don't hang up nearly as much in gravel (etc) as a Lindy or egg sinker.
Old 08-01-2003, 03:07 PM
Babe Linder

I like them with a sliding in line float or two. They should better be called snag resistant.
Old 08-02-2003, 04:07 PM
Keeper

One of the interesting things I learned from Ron Lindner was that he prefers very short leaders...6 inches to a foot. Lindy rigs were first sold with 2 foot leaders and pink hooks. Why pink?

"Because we had a lot of then," Ron said.

He and Al would have clients use a 2 to 3 foot leader while they used shorter to see what works. Ron thinks the thump, thump, thump of the sinker attracts fishes' attention. Also, with a short leader, you don't have to wait to set the hook.

I asked him, what about those super-long leaders? He said when fish are that finicky, he goes somewhere else.

Experiment, and let the fish tell you want they want.

The thing that makes the rig different than a jig, is that the leader lets baits like a minnow or a leech swim more naturally.

NO_SNAGGs are great for rocky areas. Have a great time with it.

Scott Richardson
Old 08-03-2003, 02:28 PM
Master angler

Well it is not real complicated. First you will need to get a long rod, I prefer 23 feet. I also use trolling line, the steel stuff. You also need some duct tape, some aluminum foil, a hen chicken (if you are fishing on tuesday it needs to be a hen Mallard duck), 2 candles, a tennis racket with the web removed, a sack of 37 brass doorknobs and 2 marbles (Be sure you don't loose your marbles!) and a chinese finger trap. Now, you must fashion a hat out of the aluminum foil for you and the Chicken, or duck, depending on if it is Tuesday. You will need to duct tape the hat to the bird as they keep taking them off. Light both candles at one end and stick them on little holders you fashioned into your hat and the birds. You must now sing the Czecoslovakian National Anthem in Yiddish. Take the tennis racket and put it ovet your head and wear it like a neck tie. Use the doorknobs as balance to handle the long rod. put one marble in your left front pants pocket and the other in your tackle box. Tie on a no snagg sinker of apropriate weight for the conditions. You use them exactly like you would a regualr lindy rig sinker. Then put the Chinese finger trap on your left hands swearing finger and the birds right wing. If anyone gets to close you can wave at them with your left hand, thereby flipping them the bird! Now if you were to screw up and use a rooster, why you wouldnt be flipping the bird but merely waving your .... all over the place. As you fish you must also chant like a Tibetian Monk. But one note of caution, in Minnesota, on Sunday, you have to sing Spike Jones' Hawaian War chant.
Old 08-03-2003, 02:35 PM
a question

can I use an Itty Bitty bead vs. a teeny tiny one? Now if I can get you use an Itty bitty bead and wear a teeny tiny bikini, well now that would be sssssssssssssssssmokin hot!
Old 08-03-2003, 05:24 PM
Wallhanger

Doggone Master Angler, there you go giving up the last of my secrets. NowwhatamIgonnado?