Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Crankbait repair question - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Home Grown Tackle > HGT General Discussion

Old 08-05-2014, 06:38 AM
Minnow

Default Crankbait repair question

I have a question about a crankbait of mine. It's a Lee Sisson Deep Diver. On a trip this summer I was trolling with it and I stopped to unhook a fish and noticed that this lure was sinking, which it was not supposed to do. So I took a look at it and there was a long crack in the paint from the nose almost all the way back on one side (see pic), and a smaller crack on the other side (harder to see, but pic included). I'm guessing this is a result of being dragged along the bottom in shallow water. I am new to trolling and fish reservoirs where depth can change quickly (I stick w plastic cranks unless in open water now). But my question is basically, what are some options for repairing this lure? Can I just put something over and in the cracks to seal them? Is there any damage internally to worry about or should I just dry it out well? I have been trying to learn how to make and repair lures, and I like this one, so I would be interested in trying to fix it even if it would be easier to simply replace it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	luredamage1.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	542.1 KB
ID:	102969   Click image for larger version

Name:	luredmg2.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	548.6 KB
ID:	102977   Click image for larger version

Name:	luredmg4.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	533.5 KB
ID:	102985   Click image for larger version

Name:	luredmg5.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	511.4 KB
ID:	102993   Click image for larger version

Name:	luredmg6.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	477.9 KB
ID:	103001  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2014, 07:15 AM
Wallhanger

Not sure if its correct but if it was mine I would go get some clear epoxy. However I would retire the crank.
Old 08-06-2014, 01:27 PM
Charter Member

After making sure all the water was removed(may have to enlarge/wedge open the crack a little, or drill a small hole), I would try brushing on a coat of clear epoxy cement. I'd paint the entire bait (body) with the cement. The action could be changed by the added weight, but at this point, you aren't out anything, as the lure is approaching worthless.

If you use slow drying cement, keep an eye on the bait for several hours, the stuff will creep around if it isn't turned while drying. Good luck, it is fun saving a throw-away!

Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
diy , lure repair