Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
How do I teach my lab to retrieve--and drop? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Hunting Central > Hunting Dogs and dogs in general

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-17-2006, 11:11 AM
Dennis-UT unlogged

Default How do I teach my lab to retrieve--and drop?

He likes to go get it and then sit and chew on it. But he won't bring it back. I think I might have done something wrong with him because now he has no interest in retrieving my canvas puppy dummy. What I did was tell him to drop, then pry his mouth open and praise him when he dropped it.

I took a duck wing yesterday and had him retrieve it. He did a great job of going and getting it, and showed a lot of enthusiasm. But he wouldn't bring it back. He'd then sit and chew on it. I'd force it out of his mouth, but after about a dozen throws he finally ate the dumb thing--feathers and all.

How do I teach him to retrieve and undo the bad I've done with him? How do I teach the Drop command.