Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Ranger trailer brakes - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers and Tow Vehicles

Old 09-13-2011, 06:14 AM
Keeper

Default Ranger trailer brakes

I have a dilemma im dealing with my trailer. Saturday when I was towing my boat home from a day of fishing everytime I would step on the brakes my trailer brakes would work but then when I would start moving they would not release all the way. Well after 27 miles I pretty much toasted the trailer brakes. I called the dealer and told him what had happened and he told me that they have been having some issues with the actuators.
He said he would call Ranger to see if they would cover flatbedding the trailer back to the dealership. Well Ranger will not cover this and now my dealer is telling me to drain the brake lines so the brakes will not engage and then pull it down to them.
The dealership is 75 miles away by Milwaukee. I dont think this is a acceptable solution. I bought this boat and trailer less than 4 months ago brand new.
I asked if Ranger would authorize a local dealer near me to work on the trailer but heard nothing back.
If I do this which I feel is not very safe would I be liable if I would have to stop fast and end up getting into a accident? If this was a vehicle it would be towed by now and covered under warranty. Does this seem right to put the burden on me and do something that would be unsafe?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2011, 07:07 AM
Wallhanger

Default brakes

a buddy of mine fried all of his brakes on his 2011 619 recently also, for some reason the acctuator is staying engaged. I would think your insurance would cover road side towing? I have a new ranger also and this is real troubling .
Old 09-13-2011, 07:09 AM
Keeper

Mine is also a 619. Why should my insurance cover for a manufacture issue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2011, 08:05 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgewalter View Post
Mine is also a 619. Why should my insurance cover for a manufacture issue
i meant for the tow but i see your issue after I reread the post. you can jumper 12v from light to bypass silonad on trailer, that will bypass fluid at the accutator so it does not go to brakes, just like the reverse light does when backing. I believe it is the blue wire....
Old 09-13-2011, 08:20 AM
Keeper

I guess I could do that but I would still be driving 75 miles without brakes.
I just see this as a safety issue that needs to be addressed by the dealer and Ranger
Old 09-13-2011, 08:25 AM
Charter Member

Have you talked directly to Ranger yet? (870) 453-2222

I would call them, explain your liability concerns, what your dealer response has been, and explain you'd rather handle this properly without getting the lawyers involved,,,,,,,

No doubt, they will tell you that your dealer needs to address the problem. But, it can't hurt to ask. Not sure what the laws are in Wisconsin, but you may not be able to LEGALLY tow a trailer of that weight without brakes.

HRG
Old 09-13-2011, 08:28 AM
Keeper

Do you have a contact name at Ranger? I emailed them yesterday but had no response
Old 09-13-2011, 09:24 AM
Charter Member

Hot Run is correct.
If the weight of the trailer is over the legal limit for a trailer without brakes, and I expect that it is;
It would be ILLEGAL to tow the trailer without brakes the 75 miles to the dealership.

The manufacturer is absolutly on the hook to take care of the flatbedding and the repair of the issue.

Call ranger and ask for the authorization number to give to the tow truck driver to safely and legally get your boat to the dealership for repair. Keep calling until you get a response.

The money you paid for the rig deserves customer support on the part of the manufacturer.

REW
Old 09-13-2011, 09:24 AM
Keeper

Thanks HRG, Called Ranger and talked to Sam Wilson he said they will cover flat bedding the boat and trailer down to the dealer. They are aware of the accuator issue so Kudos to Ranger for stepping up to the plate.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgewalter View Post
Thanks HRG, Called Ranger and talked to Sam Wilson he said they will cover flat bedding the boat and trailer down to the dealer. They are aware of the accuator issue so Kudos to Ranger for stepping up to the plate.
Good to hear, I'd have been surprised if they had not come thru. They seem to be pretty helpful for their customers.
Of course, maybe they were monitoring this thread, and figured they better step-up before it got ugly,,,,,,
Too bad the dealer didn't get the same response you did

HRG