Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Dive chart ??? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 03-09-2010, 07:59 AM
Keeper

Default Dive chart ???

Why can't companies put a little dive chart in the packageing???? Rapala can put a useless little slip of advertising paper in a little cardboad box! How hard could it be to just put a little dive chart?
Old 03-09-2010, 08:10 AM
Charter Member

Because then you wouldn't buy precision trolling LOL

Really precision trolling is the way to go for dive curves, it is a great book, laminated so you can use it in the boat without worry of it getting wet.
It has a tremendous amount of dive curves in it for lures as well as drop weights etc.

Rebs
Old 03-09-2010, 08:28 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdie22 View Post
Why can't companies put a little dive chart in the packageing???? Rapala can put a useless little slip of advertising paper in a little cardboad box! How hard could it be to just put a little dive chart?
Some do. Check out the Berkley Flicker Shads.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2010, 08:43 AM
Wallhanger

Although I agree that companies could at least put out a guide on approximately how deep they'd go, but your best bet is still Precision Trolling. They are impartial to brand and will test all different makes/models with the same method, so your results will be omparable between brands.

I have a 7th edition, but bought the new Pro Trolling V1 for my brother in law so I could peek at the updated lure listings that I was missing. They have LOTS of lures in there now. I think you get a lot of value for $40, as the amount of time and effort to measure depths is pretty extensive. I would argue that they are really not that waterproof though, keep it in the ziplock baggy while in the boat.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:53 AM
Keeper

I'm guessing that they really don't know. They would be stealing the data from the precission trolling. Do the companies test different diameter line and how deep they go with x amount of line out? If they do, they should put a chart in the packageing.
Old 03-09-2010, 12:19 PM
Slot Fish

Most all crank packages have the max running depth for their lures on the packages trolled or cast. Rapala has a small book you can buy for I think it was five dollars that has all the dive curves for their lures. Pretty handy book to have since after I take the lure out of the package the package gets tossed.

I have all my cranks sorted by size and brand in my tackle box and bought some small square labeling stickers you can get at Wally world or an office supply store for a couple bucks for 100. On the labels I have written the diving depths for the amount of line out on all cranks in the box then stick them on the outside lip of the tray. That way the dive curves are right there and no need to take a book out every time you want the dive curve. I'll do something like this;

#7 shad rap
8ft = 50 11ft = 140
9ft = 66
10ft = 93

Or if you have your cranks in a single tray plano with the lids you can stick the labels right on the inside of the lid.

Last edited by CRB; 03-10-2010 at 09:20 AM.
Old 03-09-2010, 12:28 PM
Keeper

I have the troller's bible and I am going to make a list dive curve for lures that I use a lot of the time and laminate it so I have a quick reference. I have found though once you get used to using the guide that you can estimate pretty close to what a lure will dive just by comparing it to something you use all the time.

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, KILL CLEAN, APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE!!

You don't hunt or fish? I SEE NO POINT IN TALKING TO YOU!!
Old 03-11-2010, 09:26 PM
Wallhanger

I wish they would mark the lip or somewhere on the lure the model number of the bait, too many cranks!
Old 03-12-2010, 09:40 AM
Slot Fish

Default Crankbaits

I have to take issue with Dave in Walker's reasoning. How can a person have too many crank baits?

However, I do agree that one can have too many to be able to identify all of them. When I get a new one I try to mark what it is and the size with a Sharpie marker but that doesn't always last.

I wish all the manufacturers would label them like the Flicker Shads.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:01 PM
Wallhanger

I know never enough cranks, I too label with sharpies but they do not last very long