Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Your Opinion! - Are the Glory Years of Walleye Tournament Fishing Past? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Tournament Message Board

Old 06-23-2011, 05:29 PM
Minnow

Question Your Opinion! - Are the Glory Years of Walleye Tournament Fishing Past?

Just wondering what your opinions are.

Walleye Tournament fishing has seem to taken a downturn in recent years. Look at participation and coverage on TV.

Obviously the economy hurt sponsorship which effected tournament backing and the economy also effects how individuals decide to spend the money they have left after essentials but there was always excitement waiting for the new PWT season and watching how the coverage improved over the years. I always bought the season tournament tapes and got to know the old and new pros as well. Plus having a magazine like the Walleye In-sider covering tournaments and techniques in detail was cutting edge for the time. Everything in the industry was being developed/improved each year from boats to motors to electronics to equipment. Everyone was absorbing new techniques being developed that were winning tournaments.

Then when the FLW entered giving large 6 figure payouts for pros and co anglers it almost seemed like walleye tournaments were going to the next level like Bass tournaments.

What do you think are some of the reasons for the cool down on participating and following of walleye tournamnts?

Do you think the best years are now behind us?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2011, 07:10 PM
Bill T

Default I think so

I think things are on a down turn. But will struggle back in the next few years. But only with One main event and its FLW from what I can see. They have it all and sadly AIM may go to the bone yard. I like the idea but we may not be ready for it. And with 30 team per event even the sponsors will see the issues. Got to have interest and its just not there. Hope I am wrong but think not.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:31 PM
Wallhanger

Untill the economy turns around and who knows when that will be I dont see much improvement in anything. I think there will still be enough interest and participants for 1 major walleye tournament tour but not sure if 2 can make it in these times.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2011, 09:34 PM
Wallhanger

all done...... There will still be a small segment of large tounreys for advertising sake but with fuel and boat prices the way they are I think its just about done.
Old 06-24-2011, 05:40 AM
Wallhanger

Default I've said it for years.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamlund View Post
all done...... There will still be a small segment of large tounreys for advertising sake but with fuel and boat prices the way they are I think its just about done.
Here's something that's interesting to me. The biggest tournament on the Winnebago system is NOT the Merc Nationals or Otter Street or the MWC or the FLW or AIM or any bass tournament. Not even close.

The biggest tournament on the system is the "Battle on Bago" ice fishing tournament. Why is it so big? Because they pay out down to 300th place (not every spot of course) and anyone feels they have a chance to win at least something.

Apply a similar approach to open water tournaments, and you will have full fields. Full fields people. You will bring average fishermen into the tournament ranks, and you will keep them there longer even if they are relatively unsuccesful. You will have weigh-in crowds beyond belief. You will have a successful circuit my friends.

The model has been used, proven, and in regards to getting people involved it blows all the other tournament models out of the water.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM View Post
Just wondering what your opinions are.

Walleye Tournament fishing has seem to taken a downturn in recent years. Look at participation and coverage on TV.

Obviously the economy hurt sponsorship which effected tournament backing and the economy also effects how individuals decide to spend the money they have left after essentials but there was always excitement waiting for the new PWT season and watching how the coverage improved over the years. I always bought the season tournament tapes and got to know the old and new pros as well. Plus having a magazine like the Walleye In-sider covering tournaments and techniques in detail was cutting edge for the time. Everything in the industry was being developed/improved each year from boats to motors to electronics to equipment. Everyone was absorbing new techniques being developed that were winning tournaments.

Then when the FLW entered giving large 6 figure payouts for pros and co anglers it almost seemed like walleye tournaments were going to the next level like Bass tournaments.

What do you think are some of the reasons for the cool down on participating and following of walleye tournamnts?

Do you think the best years are now behind us?
One simple reason anglers are not onboard as they used to be. Lack of MONEY! The business model that makes up the tournament world has finally ran out of anglers that are able to support themselves, while hoping to be paid for their efforts some day as pro fishermen. The tournament industry failed to support both sides of the equation and now this is what you have. No different than any other business and or professional sport. MWC, PWT and FLW are a classic example of that failed buinsess model. AIM has no income to do so......but would.

Marketing of the sport to create a fan base? Failed since the beginning.

Money! If the guy bumping the fish gets paid and the angler who brings him the fish doesn't...this is what you get.

Can it change? Sure. Grow? Sure. But not until fishing is not the nucleus of marketing and the industry pays the anglers to show up. People with fishing backgrounds have to quit being the regime and bring in new blood to create the sport into a fan based entity. (Now the Dave Krafts of the world can jump on me again LOL)

I am going fishing. Not another word from me on this as all know my ideas and thoughts from the past. ( say what you want but there is no other reason the past anglers are not here today--and they started to go away long before any recession hit!)
Steve Fellegy #49
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about the things that matter. MLK
sf1954@embarqmail.com or 651-270-3383 cell#
Old 06-24-2011, 07:07 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by thump55 View Post
Why is it so big? Because they pay out down to 300th place (not every spot of course) and anyone feels they have a chance to win at least something.
Sorry, but this sounds like our school systems and goverment. If you work real hard and do your job your not going to get rewarded as much because we can't insult anyone. So we decided to pay all the way down to the people who are getting D's in class or the people who don't want to work.

Also, AIM pays half the field, does bago?

Is baseball done? attendance down in most markets. NBA - 22 of 32 teams losing money.

We are in a tough economy and you need to make choices with what extra money you have. I think walleye tourneys will never be as big as bass tourneys because of the basis of people who fish for them. Just like hockey will never be as big as football.

I love walleye fishing and hockey. I hope when the economy gets better so do these.
NPAA #310
Old 06-24-2011, 07:25 AM
Keeper

I sure do miss watching the PWT. Going to the weigh ins a the championship in Bismarck was exciting! The FLW still puts on a good weigh in but doesn't get the crowds going like the PWT did. I think you will continue to see ONE major walleye tour, and i think it will be FLW. Would be cool to see better TV coverage as I like to watch the tournaments on tv.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:58 PM
Slot Fish

Steve:

Why bring up my name in this post?

Dave Kraft
Old 06-24-2011, 10:08 PM
Minnow

I sure hope the glory years aren't in the past!!

All things considered, I'm a "young" guy in this sport meaning a 30 something. I've been co-angling the FLW for 3 years and really want to take that next step someday. I'm not fooling myself with the idea that I'll be able to quit my job and fish full time, I love my job! But I also love competitive fishing and will do it as much as my spare time and money allow (which is precious these days!)

I truly believe there is another generation of walleye anglers coming up that love fishing walleye tournies. I see the interest on Facebook, I see the interest on many of the fishing forums, I know a number of people as well following my same path. All my co-workers watch FLW Live when I'm weighing in and they aren't fisherman, but they are very interested.

I'm glued to the computer during the AIM events. I love the videos, interviews, and on the water updates.

I'm addicted and it is infectious as a lot of my friends are asking questions and wondering how to get involved.

I guess I believe there will be a resurgence but it won't happen overnight. Will it ever be the same? I don't know. I don't even know what the "good old days" were about. It is what you make it I guess.
NPAA #637