Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Sample 7 Day Menu & Food Shopping List - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 02-24-2014, 08:01 AM
Keeper

My understanding is that open containers are illegal but you can transport closed containers.

If you couldn't transport beer via boat I don't know that anyone would ever do an outpost trip

Last edited by bushead11; 02-24-2014 at 09:08 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2014, 08:02 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CI_Guy View Post
Lasagna with garlic bread is one of my favorite meals on our trip. I bake a couple of pans of lasagna then freeze it for the trip then let it thaw while we fish and just reheat it that night.
We also precook our bacon to cut down on breakfast prep time and cleanup.
I noticed you had beer on your shore lunch menu. Just curious how you plan on getting it there since it is illegal to have it in your boat in Ontario.
We take beer for beer batter. It's in a tote vs in a cooler. We have been told while beer in the boat is illegal, the intent is toward drinking vs an ingredient in beer batter. I'll take the risk. Batter with water just isn't the same
Old 02-24-2014, 09:28 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
If you couldn't transport beer via boat I don't know that anyone would ever do an outpost trip
AGREED - In fact we have even been told that if you have unopened beer in your boat for shore lunch (like - one apiece) and you are stopped/checked, you PROBABLY still would be OK. It is going to depend on the "mood" of whoever stops you, I guess. Like they say - you pays your money and you takes your chances......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2014, 10:33 AM
Wallhanger

This stuff gets covered a ton ... but what the heck, its February ... what else do we have to discuss

This year we are going to focus a lot on preparing meals ahead of time and freezing them in disposable containers.
  • Serves as ice in the cooler
  • Packs easily
  • Is WAY better than taking individual ingredients and having to prepare meals at camp
  • At camp, just dump in pot, heat, and eat. Super simple.
  • Next to no clean up after dinner
  • Meals tend to be healthier and tastier when prepared in advance in a real kitchen (often times by our wives, and not us)
Old 02-24-2014, 11:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushead11 View Post
My understanding is that open containers are illegal but you can transport closed containers.

Several years ago we were checked by a CO and told that if you were bring supplies into your camp or bringing left overs out of your camp at the end of your trip you were OK.
One can of beer per boat for fish batter for shore lunch (preferably warm) was a gray area he would have no problem with.
Any beer to be consumed with shore lunch or any place on the lake besides your base camp was illegal. The fine was quite stiff and was per can or bottle of beer or ml of alcohol.
We had our 1 can of beer for batter with us when we were checked and he told us to have it in the box we had our batter mix and other can goods in next time rather than in a cooler like ours was.
We stopped doing shore lunch because of the time and the amount of work involved, but I know there are people that it is one of the highlights of their trip.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:19 PM
Keeper

Great thread- I'm think I'm gunna come up with a menu this year! Been wanting to try the walleye tacos, definitely will this year
Old 02-24-2014, 12:52 PM
Wallhanger

We don't bother planning anything, seems to work for us.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:24 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoxabilly View Post
Great thread- I'm think I'm gunna come up with a menu this year! Been wanting to try the walleye tacos, definitely will this year
We LOVE LOVE LOVE walleye tacos.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0748.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	70529  
Old 02-24-2014, 02:50 PM
Keeper

My mouth is watering!
Old 02-24-2014, 03:28 PM
Wallhanger

For us it's been very simple:

Dinner
3-4 days of fried fish, beans, potatoes and coleslaw.
1 taco/fajita night
1 steak night with mushrooms, potatoes and salad/or grilled veggies
1 burger night
1 hot dog/sausage night

Lunch is sandwiches

Breakfast is coffee/tea, bagel with cream cheese, toast with margarine/jam

I work out the exact amount of everything I need down to the number of slices of luncheon meat. I've never had too much leftover and never over weight. Nobody is ever left hungry either.

If my group was bigger I'd probably bring up a fresh pie and probably pre-make and freeze some type of curry or stew-type meal.